CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: skeetmaster tubes?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:26 am 
Diamond Grade

Does anyone here have any info about Skeetmaster sub gauge tubes?

Like experience with same or web site address?

Post subject: re: skeetmaster tubes?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Skeetmaster is looooong out-of-business. The precursor to Skeetmaster were the Purbaugh tubes, also long gone. A former employeee of Claude Purbaugh started Skeetmaster just down the street. Little difference between the two, but most felt that the quality of Skeetmaster was somewhat better. Both were a one-piece, all aluminum design and both had separate ejectors (6 per set of three gauges), which could be a PITA and were easily lost, as opposed to the later offering from Kolar and Briley. Skeetmasters had a blue anodized finish, while the Purbaughs were smoke gray in color. No changeable chokes.

I owned a set of Purbaugh tubes. While they were state of the art in their day, the advancements in tube design make the tubes from Kolar and Briley worth the money for the serious sub-gauge shooter commited to the tube concept. Assuming that the Skeetmaster or Purbaugh tubes are in excellant condition and all parts are included (repair and replacements will not be cheap), they might be a bargain when included with the good used O/U they were originally fitted to.

Even in a best case senerio, and assuming you'd be buying a full set with gun, I wouldn't pay much more than maybe $200-300 over the value of the gun alone.

A Sailor's Creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em.”

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:29 pm 
Field Grade

ShootingStar,
My tubes are red, black, and green, with the seperate ejectors.
They are 1966 possibly not delivered until 1967. I always assumed they were Purbaugh. Any ideas given the colors and dates? I hope this isn't hi-jacking.
Thanks, Rod

Post subject: Re: re: skeetmaster tubes?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rod, I think Skeetmaster came into being much later than 1966. To the best of my knowledge, Claude Purbaugh was the only one making full length sub-gauge tubes back in the 60's. The only rainbow colored tubes I'm aware of came from Briley, and those would be 80's and 90's vintage.

Maybe somebody painted them? Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

If I'm not mistaken....Purbaughs were out there in use up until somewhere around the late '70's/early '80's. Didn't Skeetmaster come out sometime after that? But it seems to me they weren't around terribly long.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:32 pm 
Field Grade

These were definetly not painted since birth. They are only 16" long. I forgot to mention they were ordered with the then new Superposed through Browning in St. Louis. They were fit to these barrels and are over and under specific. They work very well, though I've never understood how they can, unless the sub gauges are just 16' barreled shotguns.
Rod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They sound like Brownings "Supertubes" and I don't know much about them other than I know that they weren't very popular.

Ballistically, a 16" tube should work well all the way down to (but not necessarily including) the .410. Chambermates in 20 and 28 ga. are about the length of a fired shell, and work very well when stepping down only one gauge, fairly well when steping down two gauges, but the .410 in a 12 ga. barrel leaves much to be desired. Bloopers and inconsistant velocities are common with the .410.

The problem with the .410 is this - .410 powders typically are much slower burning and require a longer seal to get a complete burn, and the .410 wad doesn't stand a chance of sealing once it leaves the tube but before it exits the 12 ga. barrel.

Last edited by ShootingStar on Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:03 pm 
Field Grade

Well they have no identification markings of any kind, nor on the original fitted case they came in. To me they've always kind of been a novelty, though they may come in handy since burcitus is setting in on my shooting shoulder.
Rod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks for the input.

The reason I asked was that a guy on gunsamerica is offering a 3200 with these tube sets and if they were Brileys or Kolars, the price is less than the tubes would be.

Having never heard about these Skeetmaster tubes, I thought I would get their web address and look into their product. 8)

Post subject: Re: re: skeetmaster tubes?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

redhawk44 wrote:
Thanks for the input.

The reason I asked was that a guy on gunsamerica is offering a 3200 with these tube sets and if they were Brileys or Kolars, the price is less than the tubes would be.

Having never heard about these Skeetmaster tubes, I thought I would get their web address and look into their product. 8)

I had a 3200 with Skeetmaster tubes. It worked fine. The only thing is like was said earlier you had to switch ejectors every time you switched tubes. Another thing is since they are no longer around if you break one it's gone. I feel that a set of these adds not much if anything to the value of the gun they are with. They might be a nice extra though to play around with.

One other thing to consider on the 3200s is that 26in barreled versions are worth considerably less then 28in skeet 3200s. Also I wouldn't touch a 3200 that didn't already have the factory updates done.