CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best turkey shoot gun?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:12 pm 
Utility Grade

I just started going to turkey shoots and would like some info on what is the best gun to use. I am useing an 870 express and it is doing ok I have won a couple of rounds but most of the consistent winners are useing single shot guns. Most of them are useing NEF single barrel guns but I have found mixed reviews on line about those guns. Shooting targets at 30 yards. Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: re: Best turkey shoot gun?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:30 am 
Tournament Grade

Not really sure, but you may want to ask on The Fringe forum on this board. There are a couple of posts about Turkey Shoots on there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:18 am 
Tournament Grade

The more you hang around turkey shoots you'll realize it isn't just a certain gun. I've been to a few and it seems there is a wide variety of rules and procedures. Some places let you have specially sleaved guns and others make it so that most factory guns can be competetive. The last one I was at, a guy with a Beretta 391 won more than just a few rounds and all the regulars were talking about how good those Berettas can shoot. Next week it may be an Ithaca. Most places around here use Win AAs, but not always and not necesarily 7 1/2 shot. I personally would rather drive an hour to shoot some sort of clays, but that is just me. Maybe someone else with more experience on this will chime in shortly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:31 am 
Presentation Grade

Single shot guns and your 870 are only different in the respect that you have a few more rounds that you can pump-load into the chamber. Other than that, they both operate on locked, closed breeches during the entire firing cycle.

But I may also surmise that a lot of singe shots have fixed chokes, rather than screw-ins and in some cases, depending on choke quality, they may have an advantage there. If they let you, use an extra-full or XX-full turkey choke in your gun and #9 shot loads. Or have someone reload you some 1-5/8oz #9 to use through those chokes I mentioned. :twisted:

-Jason

"Maybe 150."

"Wow! Are you serious?!"

"Haha. No. It is more like 500."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:57 am 
Diamond Grade

Around here turkey shoots make you use factory ammo that they furnish - no advantage to be had by anyone.

Other than a full to very full choke the gun doesn't matter at all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:09 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the input. The turkey shoots that I have been going to you have to use their shell. Does anyone have any input on the NEF guns. I have read that they have issues with ejecting shellsand are not very accurate. I can get 2 of these guns used for 150 but i dont want to waste my money.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:42 am 
Presentation Grade

Both of my turkey hunting shotguns are NEFs. The 10 ga, is at least 15 yrs. old and has been used by many to kill turkeys. The 12 ga. is only about 6 yrs. old and never had a problem. 10 ga. has a peep sight and the 12 ga. a red dot, both have tubes. Don't have turkey shoots aroun here, both they both are excellent turkey killers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

I do not see what advantage a NEF could have over your 870. If you are looking for an advantage put the 150 bucks into your 870. Have the forcing cone lengtened, bore polished, and experiment with a few choke tubes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:19 pm 
Field Grade

if that remington has screw in chokes just buy a card choke from Pure gold. they clam it will put 98% of the shot on a regular playing card at 20 yds.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:31 pm 
Field Grade

if that remington has screw in chokes just buy a card choke from Pure gold. they clam it will put 98% of the shot on a regular playing card at 20 yds.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:04 pm 
Field Grade

:D Go to www.turkeyshoot.net

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:23 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the help I think that I will stay with my 870 and order the choke tubes from Pure Gold.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:27 pm 
Field Grade

If you at a shoot where screw in chokes are allowed, you can certainly help your odds by buying whatever choke is necessary to concentrate your shot in the center of the target.
Some turkey chokes are so tight that sights are necessary to get the center of the pattern on the center of the target. 2o gauge chokes of .550 and 12 ga. of .655 are used and there are card shooting chokes available on the Trulock, C-N-C,and other web sites.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:50 pm 
Limited Edition

:shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: