CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Optima Chokes and Steel Shot
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:05 am 
Diamond Grade

Got invited last night to go goose hunting tomorrow. Only gun I have up to the job is my 391 trap gun. Came with Optima chokes, and looking through my owners manual it says in regard to the Mobile chokes it's safe to use Cylinder, IC or Mod. Does the same hold true with my Optima chokes? Also, any advice on which choke to use? Haven't picked up any ammo yet, and probably won't have a chance to pattern the gun tonight and see what it's doing. I have IC and Mod.

Thanks,

Michael

Post subject: re: Optima Chokes and Steel Shot
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, the Optima chokes are safe for steel, with the same choke restrictions - not more than Mod.

Not being a goose hunter myself, I can't tell you which would work better. I would just take both and ask the other hunters when I get there.

Post subject: Re: Optima Chokes and Steel Shot
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:07 am 
Diamond Grade

As a rule of thumb you should always shoot steel through mod or a more open choke. You need to look for "SP" (steel proof) on any of the Beretta chokes to shoot steel shot. This is out of the Beretta manual:
"Use of tighter constrictions (IM,F) with steel shoot does not increase pattern density and will distort normal pattern density associated with led shot (i.e. "blown pattern").”

I typically use IC or Mod depending on the distance of the shot. I use IC for up to 35/40 yards and mod for longer shots. Steel shoots a tight pattern through my Beretta 391 (w/ Optima barrel and chokes). For me it shoots very well at up to 35/40 yards w/ IC. Others may disagree but again this works for me.

Keep well, keep happy & keep your head on the stock. - Robert Stack

Post subject: re: Optima Chokes and Steel Shot
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Location: Tom Green, Runnels, Coke and other counties out here
what obx said, with the addition that skeet might not be too bad if you're hunting them in close. IC for say, 25 - 35 yards.