It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Accurate, but hard to extract - Hevi-Shot 2 3/4", 1 1/4
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi Sluggers,

I am still taking my tour of sabot slugs with my Savage Slug Warrior (I've shot 28 different types of ammo, so far), but at this point the Hevi-Shot Sabot Slug Magnum 2 3/4", 1 1/4 oz slugs (advertised muzzle velocity at 1500 fps) have produced the best 3-shot 50 yard group from my gun. This particular load printed a 0.50" group (I know one 3-shot group can only hint at accuracy potential, but at least it is a good way to narrow down the choices for further experimentation).

However, the spent hulls were very hard to extract from the chamber after firing. All of the 3 shots I have taken so far have been very difficult to extract, so I wouldn't say it was just a random problem unlikely to reoccur. We're not talking about needing a hammer to open the bolt, but I definitely had to horse that sucker open. The hull emerges with the rim deformed by the two extractor pins.

This load is the only load so far to exhibit any hesitation to smoothly extract from the chamber. This compared to the 125-odd total shots with this gun, so far. Particularly noteworthy is that the Hevi-Shot 3" version (advertised muzzle velocity at 1625 fps) extracted just fine that same range session.

I checked the hulls for signs of over-pressure such as a bulging case or protruding primer, but did not see anything untoward (not that I am much experienced in checking for over-pressure symptons, though). I must say I would be surprised if a factory round was loaded to a high-enough pressure to cause such extraction problems, and thus invite a law suit from a person unluckly enough to have a case actually blow-up in their face.

Since this round shows good potential in my gun, I hate to not do more experimentation with it. But, if it is reaching dangerous pressures for me, I would have no choice but to not pursue further testing. Accordingly, I won't be shooting any more of these loads until I figure out what the problem is.

Anyone have any experience with this load in their guns? Is the load safe and I am just experiencing poor chamber extraction for other unexplained reasons? Any reason why this Hevi-Shot hull/loading is difficult to extract where all the other 27 loadings including a Hevi-shot loading at a higher muzzle velocity have been fine? Any comments or suggestions on whether I should be concerned for my safety when using this round?

TIA.

--twofer

Post subject: re: Accurate, but hard to extract - Hevi-Shot 2 3/4", 1
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hmmmmmmm?
When in doubt. DON'T.
I sure would cease using that ammo right quick.
Could be a few reasons for your diffculties with that ammo beside over pressure but if there is any chance at all the ammo is developing excess pressure you have nothing to gain from shooting the stuff and way too much to loose by continuing.
I'd contact the mfg. of the stuff and tell 'em what's up a.s.a.p.

Post subject: re: Accurate, but hard to extract - Hevi-Shot 2 3/4", 1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:11 am 
Presentation Grade

Dur to the manufacturing process it is not possible to mass produce ammunition without some cartridges out of spec. I can't remember where I heard or read it, but I believe that the standard is 1/1000.

This is one of the reasons many guns are designed to handle more than standard pressure without simply blowing up. Some designs are better than others in this regard, but it does not mean that one should push the safety envelop and especially since shotgun shells are of a relatively low pressure when compared to centerfire rifle cartridges.

On that note, is it posible that the chamber is dirty/rusty which is causing sticky extraction?