CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Effective range of 20 ga. Slug Guns....
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

....Assuming you're shooting a 20 ga. with a rifled slug barrel. (I'm particularly interested to hear from anyone shooting an USH), and
....Assuming you've gone to the range to determine what sabot(s) consistently shoot the best, then
....What is the farthest range you have either harvested a deer or would be confident in responsibly harvesting a deer with a 20 ga.?, and then
....What sabot did you or would you use at this distance?

These questions are not meant to promote the claims of any high-velocity, long-range marketing campaigns but rather to querry responsible, ethical deer hunters who shoot 20 ga. rifled slug guns!

I have at my disposal both a 12 ga. USH and a 20 ga USH. The 12 ga. has already bang-flopped a deer this year as it did last year. I know what it can do. I am now entertaining using the 20 ga. for the remainder of the season and possibly going forward. I'm confident in the 20 gauge's accuracy. I'm less comfortable with the 20 ga. knock-down, stay-down power. This is only due to my own inexperience and not knowing anyone who personally uses one. Before I possibly dispose of the 12 ga. or go into the field with the 20, I 'd like to hear from those who have been successful using a 20 ga. to gain a better perspective at what distances they are effective to and what sabots were used at those distances.

Thanks,

Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (.22lr)

Last edited by MI.sabot on Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: re: Effective range of 20 ga. Slug Guns....
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:53 am 
Utility Grade

I say keep the 20ga at home. I bought the ultra sh for my son who is getting ready to hunt so we took it out. Last night 30 yrd broadside shot. Broke her shoulder but could not find her. Another deer the same 5 days ago. Only the second and third deer I lost in 10 years. I'm going back to the cva. We are going back out this morning to look some more but I know there would have been no looking with the 12ga or cva. Never had to go back the next day to track. Frustrated in SE-MI.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:37 am 
Tournament Grade

What sabots were you using?

CZ 452 American (.22lr)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:04 pm 
Field Grade

I have taken four deer with mine since buying it. Farthest was a doe last season at 162yd (according to rangefinder) dropped her in her tracks. Shot a big seven point buck yesterday at 75yrds he went about 30yrds. Other 2 taken were inside 50 and dropped in tracks. These 20ga guns will drop them if shot placement is good. I use Federal 3" with barnes expanders. Last season i used the remington core-lokt. Both performed very well on deer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:49 am 
Tournament Grade

Thank you for the reply.

As I've followed this and other forums it seems that for whatever reason those who use the high velocity sabots (1,900 fps) usually favor the Winchester Partition Golds or Remington Core-Lokts over the Federal Barnes. This seems to be the case in 12 ga. as well as 20.

I have been using the 1,450 fps Barnes Expanders in my 12 ga.
They pattern well at the range and results in the field have been impressive.

Do you plan to use the Barnes Exoanders going forward?
Just curious why the switch from your success with the Core-Lokts in previous years.

CZ 452 American (.22lr)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:45 pm 
Field Grade

the 12 gauge guns have greater shocking power . However their heavier wieght means less stability at longer range no shotgun sould be relied on beyond 60 to 75 yards with any slug and smooth bore gun 40 to 50 yards . though I know people that have taken deer at well over a 100 yards . But that is quite rare I have found after exuahstive testing that the 20 gauge had a consistant advantage over the 12 gauge gun when it came to accuracy .But you can not beat the 12 gauge when it comes to killing power in that regaurd it will make up for less accuracy and skill almost every time

Post subject: Re: Effective range of 20 ga. Slug Guns....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:24 pm 
Utility Grade

I have seen too many deer hit with a 20 ga. at distances greater than 125 yds only to be lost and end-up as coyote food. Yes, with exact slug placement, the 20 ga. can kill deer beyond 125 yds but the knockdown power is too deminished to be counted on if the shot placement is off by just a bit. With a 12 ga. the combined terminal velocity/energy of the slug is enough greater to increase the chances of a clean kill. Even with a 12 ga. I almost always limit my shots to 150 yds. At beyond those distances, the bullet drop and wind effect are much more difficult to accurately account for - especially if the wind is gusting at all. So, in my opinion, if you keep your shots to 125 yds or less and you spend enough time at the range with your gun to understand drop and wind effect, go with the 20 ga. If you want an additional 25 yds, go with the 12 ga. If you are a trained Marine or Seal sniper, you already know these things and are capable of making the 200 yd. clean kill. I don't happen to be either and have to work hard at keeping sharp enough to make the once-in-a-blue-moon 150 yd. shot and I do so with great hesitation (usually not taking such a shot unless the wind is very calm and not gusting). A deer is a majestic living thing. To take it's life only to have it become coyote food is wrong and just plain stupid! Never take a shot unless you are sure of a clean 1-shot kill. I have only killed 23 deer in my life. The farthest shot was last season at a ranged 156 yds. and it was the only shot I have ever taken at distances greater than 125 yds. The day was dead calm and the deer was standing still. Every one of the 23 deer I have killed never took a step after being hit. Of course, for every deer I have killed, there were probably 3 shots I could have taken but didn't becasue I wasn't 100% sure I could kill cleanly. One of the deer I didn't squeeze the trigger on was the biggest buck I had ever seen but the shot was a ranged 189 yds on a very gusty day.

At 70 yrs. old and starting to feel my age, I know my deer hunting days are down to a precious few but I honestly don't regret letting that shot pass. If I had gut-shot that deer and failed to find it, I would never have forgiven myself. It deserved better and I can rest peacefully knowing I gave it better.

Post subject: Re: Effective range of 20 ga. Slug Guns....
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:52 pm 
Utility Grade

I love my 20 USH out to 125 yards. But I've practice with it a LOT. Maybe your son is flinching and not hitting the vitals. Have him try the H&R 30-30. Very deadly, and shoulder friendly.