CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can I buy guns across state lines?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

I live in upstate SC. There is a Gander Mtn and Bass Pro with in 2 hours, and a new Acadamy in Atlanta, about 2.5 hours from here.

I first thought I could not, but I have been told I could buy long guns over state lines, is this true?

Post subject: Re: Can I buy guns across state lines?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:26 pm 

SureThing wrote:
I live in upstate SC. There is a Gander Mtn and Bass Pro with in 2 hours, and a new Acadamy in Atlanta, about 2.5 hours from here.

I first thought I could not, but I have been told I could buy long guns over state lines, is this true?

You can buy either over state lines.

All you need to do is fill out the proper paperwork and wait whatever specified time YOUR state makes.

You should be all good! :)

Post subject: re: Can I buy guns across state lines?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

My understanding of the law, and I may be incorrect, is that you can purchase long guns in states that border your state.
This reg does not apply to handguns.

I have never tried it out.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeablewill comment.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, face-to-face purchases can be made across state lines, as long as the sale would be legal in your own state.

You could also have a gun shipped to an FFL in your own state for processing. This adds an extra 25 bucks or so.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The local Wal-Mart here in Kansas has a sign in the long gun case showing that they can be purchased by lawful purchasers who reside in any of the adjoining states.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:03 am 
Tournament Grade

That is what the Gander Mtn guy told me, as long as the state adjoins to theirs..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are some exceptions to the "adjoining state" rule. Virginians cannot buy in adjoining states, and there may be some other exceptions.

However, if the Bass Pro in another state says they can sell to you, then don't worry about it. They sell a lot of guns, they are trained in how to meet the laws, and if they make a mistake and sell to someone they shouldn't, it is their butt on the line, not yours.

I am one of a lot of Virginians who received guns (that we won) from a dealer in MD, and there was no problem except that a Federal inspector caught it and told that dealer if he did it again he would lose his license.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:26 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Someone can correct me if I'm Wrong (by citing the FFl Section,not by
hearsay or opinion) I'm quite sure you can buy a long gun from any dealer, in any state, bordering or not, as long ias there are no state laws forbidding it. No Individual transactions across state lines. Bushrod

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:58 am 
Diamond Grade

Yes, South Carolina residents can purchase LONG GUNS in other states and bring them back immediately.

I purchased a shotgun in NC earlier this year and brought it home with me so I know that there are no SC or NC laws that restrict it.

Call the Gander Mountain or Bass Pro in Georgia and be sure there are no Georgia laws that won't permit you to purchase there.

Post subject: Re: re: Can I buy guns across state lines?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:01 am 
Diamond Grade

natty bumpo wrote:
hearsay or opinion) I'm quite sure you can buy a long gun from any dealer, in any state, bordering or not, as long ias there are no state laws forbidding it. No Individual transactions across state lines. Bushrod

Bushrod - you're right. FEDERAL LAW permits long guns to be purchased in any state - any restrictions are created by STATE law.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

natty bumpo wrote:

Yes, this is the case for face-to-face purchases. However, an individual store may establish its own policies if it doesn't want to know the laws in 49 other states. That is why some just do the adjoining state thing - it is not law, but their policy. But federal law says a member of one state may buy a gun in any state, face-to-face in a store, provided the laws of each state are adhered to. Otherwise, just ship to an FFL in your own state.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:39 pm 
Utility Grade

My primary residents is in Florida and I have a Florida driver license and a concealed weapons license. I have another place in North Carolina. I went into the gun store in NC, today and the owner said he could not by law sell a handgun to me. I called the Sheriff's Office and he said the same thing. So in short, I could buy a shotgun, a rifle, or even an AK 47 but I was not permitted to purchase a handgun. Does anyone know why this is? Because at this point I am confused.

Thanks Willie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

gar-dog wrote:
natty bumpo wrote:

Yes, this is the case for face-to-face purchases. However, an individual store may establish its own policies if it doesn't want to know the laws in 49 other states. That is why some just do the adjoining state thing - it is not law, but their policy. But federal law says a member of one state may buy a gun in any state, face-to-face in a store, provided the laws of each state are adhered to. Otherwise, just ship to an FFL in your own state.

There's the point. The laws of each state must be adhered to. I bought my Browning in CT and had to abide by the 14 day waiting period that applies in CT. I could have had it sent to an FFL in New York and had it in about three days.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

t0pw0p,

NC requires a purchase permit signed by the sheriff of your resident county before selling you a handgun. They have you wait 10 days while they do a background check. Purchase permits are $5 each with a maximum of five issued per person.

Brad

I do what I want, when I want, wherever I want....as long as my wife says its OK.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:26 am 
Limited Edition

Academy will only sell to states that border there own if they hold a FFL "store" in that state only.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:45 am 
Utility Grade

I just recently purchsed a Savage 220 in Virginia before Christmas no problems. I cannot find it, but some where there is a map of the US that shows where I, as a NC resident, can purchase a long gun in. Ev is correct about NC pistol purchases, regluated by the Feds and can only purchase in you home state. In my county, I go fill out the required paperwork and 5 days later pick up my permits. The permits are controlled by the county sherrif, which kind of leads to a hodge podge way the things are done from county to county.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:19 am 
Limited Edition

I tried to buy a Milano 20ga. in Williamsburg, Va. & was told they (BPS) couldn't sell me a gun. S. C. is on a list of 20 states that they couldn't sell to. I stopped in Charlotte, N.C. & bought the gun with no problem.

BOB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:39 pm 
Crown Grade

t0pw0p wrote:
My primary residents is in Florida and I have a Florida driver license and a concealed weapons license. I have another place in North Carolina. I went into the gun store in NC, today and the owner said he could not by law sell a handgun to me. I called the Sheriff's Office and he said the same thing. So in short, I could buy a shotgun, a rifle, or even an AK 47 but I was not permitted to purchase a handgun. Does anyone know why this is? Because at this point I am confused.

Thanks Willie

Federal law prohibits this to an out of state individual. The store can sell you the gun, but it has to be transferred to you via a FFL in your resident state

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

oneounceload wrote:
t0pw0p wrote:

Thanks Willie

Federal law prohibits this to an out of state individual. The store can sell you the gun, but it has to be transferred to you via a FFL in your resident state

It's also because the ones making the laws are mostly ignorant liberals who don't view the 2nd amendment the same as our founding fathers did.
If I attend a shoot in another state and the handgun breaks, I must return to my home state to purchase a replacement. That's just plain stupid!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Wasn't there a rule that if you were hunting out of state and your gun broke you could buy a new gun in the state you are licensed to hunt in.