CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stoeger Chokes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:18 pm 
Utility Grade

I am looking at the Stoeger Model 200 and it comes with 5 chokes: C,IC,M,F,and XFT(extended full turkey). What are the C and IC chokes? Also, I'm not very famaliar with chokes, is there a preferred choke for quail and dove hunting?

Post subject: re: Stoeger Chokes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:34 am 
Diamond Grade

Location: Tom Green, Runnels, Coke and other counties out here
C=cylinder or no constriction on the barrel's diameter. (that's all a choke really is, just a portion of the barrel near the end that is smaller in diameter than the rest of the barrel)

IC = 'improved' cylinder. This choke has some slight constriction to it. In the list you gave, this is the most open bored tube next to the C mentioned above.

As for quail, depending upon the 'average' or 'expected' range you'll be shooting them, I'd vote for the IC or Cylinder. The M (Modified) is tighter than these two and would work at all ranges out to about 40-45 yards. Trouble could be that on any close in shots, you don't have much quail left as the shot pattern is so tight it tears up the bird.

Post subject: re: Stoeger Chokes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:10 am 
Presentation Grade

C - Cylinder
IC - Improved Cylinder
S - Skeet
M - Modified
IM - Improved Modified
F - FUll
XF - Extra Full
XXF - Extra, Extra Full (seen this once, but it may as well have been a turkey choke)

Then you get up in to your turkey chokes and whatnot.

For birds, I use anything from Cylinder to Skeet, but not really any tighter. I do, however, with my Over/Under shotgun, use IC on the top (first shot) and Modified on the bottom (second shot, with the bird usually being 20 yards farther away by the time I draw a bead on him again if I miss the first time. :oops:

I also have a Stoeger Model 2000. It is a great gun and does come with a lot of choking options out of the box--a nice feature to see in a sub-$500 auto. I use mine for duck hunting and crow hunting, since, in those two sports, I use considerably beefier rounds. For upland birds, I use my O/U, Beretta AL-2 and my Stoeger Uplander SxS .410.

-Jason

"Maybe 150."

"Wow! Are you serious?!"

"Haha. No. It is more like 500."