CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best over under, O/U, for under $800,
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:08 am 
Tournament Grade

The whole budget O/U has been beat to death(i've searched), and I'm not intrested in Turkish or Russian made guns, but cannot afford a new Beretta or Browning. So I've been researching, here here is what I have come up with. Tell me if I have missed anything...

Traditions, Italy
Verona, Italy
Charles Daly, NRA, Italy
Lanber, Spain

It appears one of the most common used, is an Winchester 101.

All can be had under $800, can you add any used to my list, and are there any opinions comparing the new listed above. Also, did I miss any?

I only found this thread tht is close to the one I just started.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=91900

Post subject: re: Best over under, O/U, for under $800,
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:21 am 
Presentation Grade

Oh boy, here we go again......

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:32 am 
Tournament Grade

Find a post like this one....and, I would not care if the whole thing gets deleted by a modarator. I've searched.....all I found was "what is the best budget over under bla bla bla" I don't want a Stoger, Mossberg, Spartan, and that is all I have been able to find. I don't want a $400 O/U, but I cannot afford a $1200+ O/U either. When I search for O/U, it comes back "No topics or posts met your search criteria"

I just cannot afford a B gun....
Please....if this has been covered...show me the thread....don't just reply "here we go again".

As a side note, a used SKB is one I forgot to add.

Last edited by SureThing on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:59 am 
Field Grade

You mentioned used SKB in your last post. Just thought I would mention that the old Ithaca O/Us were made by SKB and imported by Ithaca in the 70s. Most all of those can be found used for $800 or less. I recently bought a model 500 and love it, however it does have fixed chokes, and I don't believe you will find many Ithacas with screw in chokes.

Vonny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:34 am 
Tournament Grade

search gun broker for a
beretta white wing
beretta black wing
beretta 686 essential

those three are berettas and will be in your price range if used.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:59 am 
Limited Edition

I've been very happy with my Lanber. I'm afraid I don't have any first-hand experience with the others you're looking at, so I can't really compare, but I'm sure you will be happy with the Lanber if you go with that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:03 am 
Presentation Grade

I have been very happy with my Verona Imported Rizzini. It is certainly the equal of the B guns in construction.

Post subject: Re: re: Best over under, O/U, for under $800,
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:08 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

isushooter wrote:
search gun broker for a
beretta white wing
beretta black wing
beretta 686 essential

Bingo! That nails it. What I'm reading is that you really want a Beretta 686 or a Browning Citori, but don't want to pay brand new pricing for it.

Two of the most popular models for a long time, you can have you pick if you buy used . . . and there are a lot of clean, 95% + 686's and Citori's out there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:29 am 
Limited Edition

isushooter wrote:
search gun broker for a
beretta white wing
beretta black wing
beretta 686 essential

I'm sorry, I just checked gunbroker and couldn't find any white wings or black wings. I could only find 1 686 essential. Here it is:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=61177252

This gun costs nearly $200 more than my Lanber did, has no warranty and an unknown number of shells through it, only has two tubes, is a field model, and in my opinion doesn't look nearly as nice as the Lanber. Posters here often refer to the used B-gun market as being chock-full of great used B-guns for $650-850. I did quite a bit of looking when I was deciding on which O/U to buy, and my experience was that the pickings were pretty slim. There are a few here and there, but they are usually older and have seen heavy use.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with B-guns, just that the choice between a new Lanber with a 5 year warranty and a heavily used B-gun with no warranty that costs $200 more is pretty clear to me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A used better quality gun would be best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:37 am 
Tournament Grade

I called CDNN and was told that they are no longer going to sell Lanber's once this batch is sold because they have gotten to expensive.

It is funny how it goes from 300-400 Turkish/Russian, to $1200+ B guns with little inbetween.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

when I decided to buy my first O/U, I was heavily wavering between the Lanber 2087 and the CZ Redhead.. ultimately, I chose the Lanber based on price, but the CZ would fall in your price range, and gets rave reviews.. alas, it's a Turkish gun, so you probably won't consider it

btw, I have absolutely no regrets about my Lanber.. it's a great gun for the money

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:59 pm 
Limited Edition

My Traditions has been problem free. It is made by Fausti which is a Rizzini.

For $899 you can get a new Franchi o/u at Bass Pro. Everything else pretty much starts around $1200 or $1300. The Veronas were good deals. The F.A.I.R. Rizzini's which is what a Verona is are now imported by Savage and are called Milanos. They are about double the price of the Verona.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just purchased a NIB H&K Fabarm Silver Lion in 12g. I paid $795 plus shipping. It has a 28" barrel, and comes with a hard case and 5 choke tubes as well. Haven't shot it yet, but if it shoots as good as it looks - watch out. The fit and finish are really excellent - significantly better than the similarly priced guns I've handled. Although H&K no longer import Fabarm, there is a lifetime warranty that H&K will honor (or so I'm told). If you're willing to take a little risk, this may be a good option for you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:18 pm 
Limited Edition

I don't know what gauge you are looking for, but I just recently got a Verona LX501 20 gauge. It's an absolutely beautiful gun. I also have an older Beretta BL-4 in 20 gauge, and I am hard pressed to see any difference.

Verona's are still available well under $800 if you look around.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Verona or Lanber. There are Lanber's at places other than CDNN. Anyway, any warranty work is done at Batchelder's in Michigan.
Gary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:18 pm 
Crown Grade

SKB as mentioned, used Weatherby's can be found also. Not very popular, but Remington 300/332s. Rugers, but there is debate on reliability. Had a Silver lion, great gun for the price.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:15 am 
Limited Edition

Look for a used Ruger Red label. The two sweetest handling ones are the 20 ga Sporting Clays with 30" barrels and the 28 ga (built on a true 28 ga frame). Neutral cast on stocks is friendly to left handers.

The best news in regard to a used RRL is that NOBODY has a more responsive customer service department.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:28 am 
Utility Grade

Sometimes you get lucky. I was ready to pick up a Stoeger Condor for my son to use at the club, when I saw a Beretta O/U listed on the used gun web page at my local gun shop. I checked it out and found it was a S686 essential just like the one linked to in this thread except 28" with Truglo sights, and only costing only $100 more than the Stoeger O/U combo at Dicks. Ths stock has only 1 tiny blemish, no blemishes on the barrels or receiver, and 2 steel proof chokes (which I need for my club) 1 Skeet, 1 Improved Cylinder. I would say it was very lightly used. very clean, tight as a bank vault, and has a sweet trigger.