CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best way to store autoloading shotgun???
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

1: Action open (bolt pulled back)

2: Action closed, ready to fire. (Gun empty)

3: Action closed, pull trigger with "snap-cap" in place. Put gun away.

Thanks a lot.

Post subject: re: Best way to store autoloading shotgun???
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have used # 2 for over two years on my 11-87 12 gauge with no problems. Gun is used 1-2 times a month for clay shooting, so it doesn't set for long periods, but it's fired lots of rounds.

NewtoSkeet
NRA Member
11-87 Premier 12/28
11-87 Upland 20/23
Franchi Diamond 28 O/U

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

1. I have used this method on a Beretta 391 for about 3 years and another 391 for about 1 year with no problems. The recoil spring of a 391 (and a lot of other semi's) needs to be replaced once in a while, but the interval depends more on the number of shots than on how it was stored.

2. No advantage to this, as the hammer spring is still cocked, and as I said above, storage doesn't seem to affect the recoil spring.

3. No advantage to this unless you believe that leaving a gun cocked will weaken the hammer spring. I don't believe that, because I have about 20 guns that have been stored cocked for periods of up to 94 years without any weakening of the springs. Yes, I said 94 years - my grandfather's LC Smith was made in 1912, and I know its provenance in detail, and I am pretty confident that all owners stored it cocked. My Ithaca 37 has been stored cocked for the 47 years I have had it and probably for 10 years before that, and its spring hasn't weakened.

If you do choose to close the bolt, be careful. A Beretta automatic should not be allowed to slam shut when the barrel is off - and that may be true of other makes. You can do more damage by closing it once than by leaving it open for 94 years. And there are advantages to storing a 391 with the barrel off - not the least of which is it forces you to remove and replace the forearm nut twice every time you use the gun, which may help keep it from rusting to the magazine cap shaft. If you store it with the barrel off, you cannot use a snap cap.

So you see, there are trade-offs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

My 20 year old Mossberg Model 1000 has been stored mostly at 2. Occasionally 1, with no problems whatsoever. I've owned it since it was new.

Once again Seamus is right on the money. My M1000 owners manual has 2-3 highlighted warnings about slamming the bolt home with the barrel removed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

Seamus makes great points above and I agree there are trade offs. An easy trade off is springs for safety. I'd store'em bolt open so I could tell they're safe.

I have 3 1100's, 2 beretta's and an early model Springfield .30 carbine. For years (30 plus) they have all been stored bolt open. I have not experienced a failure yet. Knock on wood! That's not completely true, for the last 10 years or so the carbine has been stored with a full 30rnd clip and the 31st bullet up the pipe, safety off. Everyone in the house knows where it is and how to use it. Effectively!

Bob

Post subject: Re: Best way to store autoloading shotgun???
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:16 pm 
Crown Grade

SuperCell wrote:
1: Action open (bolt pulled back)

2: Action closed, ready to fire. (Gun empty)

3: Action closed, pull trigger with "snap-cap" in place. Put gun away.

Thanks a lot.

:arrow: #2 works for me!
Been doing the same thing with both autos and pumps for the last fifty years with absolutely no problems. 8)

:idea: Snap caps are for checking how well a gun functions without using live ammo, not for storage. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:14 pm 
Crown Grade

#1 dust in gun.

By all means #2.

#3. Rust from snap cap condensing moisture.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Sorry guys, I'm a #3 man, with a well lubed gun stored barrel down. Always have been, always will be.

Truth is, whatever way its stored, something somewhere is usually under tension or more prone to this or that. I just feel better using #3.

My 2 cents.

Women want him, men want to BE him.

Post subject: Re: re: Best way to store autoloading shotgun???
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

The Hammer wrote:
Sorry guys, I'm a #3 man, with a well lubed gun stored barrel down. Always have been, always will be.

Truth is, whatever way its stored, something somewhere is usually under tension or more prone to this or that. I just feel better using #3.

My 2 cents.

I'm with you

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bob Stander wrote:
for the last 10 years or so the carbine has been stored with a full 30rnd clip and the 31st bullet up the pipe, safety off.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:42 am 
Presentation Grade

I store mine bolt closed and trigger pulled. Snap caps are the biggest waste of time and money.

I had the firing pins replaced 3 times in my Beretta and was told that the cause of the damage was using snap caps. Snap caps serve no usefull purpose. There is just no need for them.

The only time you could say they were needed would be if you intend to dry fire your gun over and over again. If its just a case of releasing the trigger for storage then this is not a problem.

Leeboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm sorry, Leeboy, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. Some guns can be snapped without damage to the firing pin, but some can't. It all depends on the design of the gun. I've been shooting since before you were born (probably) and the only firing pin I have ever broken was in an Ithaca 37, and that was caused by snapping it with no snap cap.

Quote:
was told that the cause of the damage was using snap caps

I question the competence of whoever told you that. I have some snap caps but I seldom use them, I just leave my guns cocked (since I learned my lesson with the Ithaca), but snap caps are designed to protect the pins, and I'm sure they cannot hurt the pins. The only way they can get you in trouble is by giving you a false sense of security. Some cheap snap caps are not very durable, and repeated snapping on them could lead to a broken pin because they did not provide enough protection - but they are still no worse than not using a snap cap at all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

Seamus O'Caiside wrote:
I'm sorry, Leeboy, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. Some guns can be snapped without damage to the firing pin, but some can't. It all depends on the design of the gun. I've been shooting since before you were born (probably) and the only firing pin I have ever broken was in an Ithaca 37, and that was caused by snapping it with no snap cap.

Quote:
was told that the cause of the damage was using snap caps

I question the competence of whoever told you that. I have some snap caps but I seldom use them, I just leave my guns cocked (since I learned my lesson with the Ithaca), but snap caps are designed to protect the pins, and I'm sure they cannot hurt the pins. The only way they can get you in trouble is by giving you a false sense of security. Some cheap snap caps are not very durable, and repeated snapping on them could lead to a broken pin because they did not provide enough protection - but they are still no worse than not using a snap cap at all.

No worries Seamus we are all entitled to our oppinions. There are not many people with your oppinion left over here and I have paid the price for using them. GMK the importers of Beretta in the uk advised me against using them. Since I stopped using them in my Beretta and Benelli Monte I've had no problems.

Leeboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:38 pm 
Crown Grade

I really get a good laugh about all the BS about snapcaps, as if you don't use them your shotgun is going to fall apart! :lol:

I do know there great item to have to check a firearm's mechanics so your not messing with live ammo but other then that??
I never heard of someone using them for gun storage till I read about it here on Shotgunworld.com.

If you take all the scatterguns in my safe as of right now and add up the time of service they have been used, it adds up to over two hundred and fifty years and all have been stored: action closed/hammer cocked with the safety on. 8)
Add to this all my extended family's firearms and it adds up to thousands of years of service...none of them have ever seen a snapcap or had the hammer dropped while being stored and they all work fine.
:idea: Proper maintenance is the answer, not whether you drop the hammer or use snapcaps!

OK, take your shots!
:B3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Seamus, for what it is worth, I have dry fired my Ithaca 37 before storing it since 1969 and have never broken the firing pin. I do the same thing with my Browning A5, but will not dry fire any of my double guns without using snap caps. For storage, the doubles are put away cocked. All the guns are kept unloaded in the house.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bolt closed.
Hammer down.
Muzzle down to keep any lubes from finding it way in the recoil spring or on the buttstock.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bolt closed, hammer released, muzzle anyway I want...if I have to put the muzzle facing down to keep oil out of the stock and recoil spring, then I have got WAY too much oil on it.

Cheers