CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Most POWERFUL Buckshot Load EVER!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:56 am 
Limited Edition

It HAS been created. This load has so much power, nothing else even comes CLOSE!!!

12 pellets of 00 at 1450 fps......for a combined power of 3,025 ft/lbs out of the 3" loading....

The 3 1/2" loading has 15 00 pellets at 1450 fps..... for 3,800 ft/lbs of energy! You could easily take big bears and buffalo up close with this load.

You can purchase it here

Post subject: re: The Most POWERFUL Buckshot Load EVER!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:56 pm 
Limited Edition

We don't have a lot of Big Bears or Bufflo left in my area bucause of people like me with 45-70s, But I'll keep this in mind. Most Zombies, thugs, or junkies do not care if you are using the really good 3.5 inch or some old 2 3/4 inch Buck. In the event Rapters from an earlier post come around then I would use the big rounds.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

I cant see it. But I like the sound of it!

Women want him, men want to BE him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:44 pm 
Field Grade

I have shot some of that stuff and it kicks like a kentucky mule in the 3" variety. My gun is mossberg 500 20" barrel and limbsaver recoil pad. Patterns at 40 yards were not terrible but not great. Not tight enough patterns to be deer worthy in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:02 am 
Diamond Grade

the worst load I have ever fired was some 41 plt #4 buck 3" magnum. that has just the right comination of weight vs. charge to snap your neck back enough to make you close your eyes on follow up shots (like a little girl).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:42 am 
Presentation Grade

I fail to see the validity of rounds like this.

To me it seems these rounds are built up not for a need as much as to prove they can be made.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:33 am 
Limited Edition

So you can't understand why one would want buckshot with more power and extended range? Why make any buck size larger than #4 then? Why make magnum rifle rounds? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:35 am 
Diamond Grade

Yes, that is the question! Why. Money my friend, money. Ammunition companies are in the business of making money. I will add that I am a fan of making money, and I don't mind if others make money either. If this super magnum load is worth anything, it will make it big, if not they won't make it any more.

I happen to be with Rotty on this one. Of course it is not a game round for my neck of the woods, and it is definitly not a defense round for my needs.

-J Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:18 am 
Tournament Grade

Nothing wrong with going for more oomph but I don't think in this case it is going to allow much increase in game size to be taken.Bear maybe? I know nothing about bear, but you can spray buckshot at big bovines all day at buckshot ranges and they just run off. Unless you are close enough to direct the whole lot at the head and hope one makes a direct line through to the brain pan.Maybe some canned hunts people do this, or where the buck load is so close it might as well be a single projectile anyway.
Frankly where I hunt, the wild bulls wouldn't even hang around till you got that close, and I wouldn't want to get that close myself anyway.

Karl.

Post subject: Re: re: The Most POWERFUL Buckshot Load EVER!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:03 am 
Limited Edition

Karl wrote:
...you can spray buckshot at big bovines all day at buckshot ranges and they just run off.
Karl.

First of all, anyone who is stupid enough to be "buck blasting" and just sprays buckshot at random animals without even patterning the gun, or shooting within the effective patterning range of the gun/load combo has no business hunting with a shotgun.

You don't "spray" shot charges randomly at an animal, you direct highly lethal discharges of tightly patterned shot to the animal's vital areas.

By the way you speak, you sound as if you had been "spraying" buckshot at these beasts before. Otherwise, why would you make a statement that they'll just "run off" if you do so? What shot size did you use? What distance was the shot? How does the load pattern at that distance? What area did you aim for? Was the shot hardened or soft swaged lead? Hard shot can make the difference between breaking bones and simply wounding animals.

Again, just like if you were hunting with a rifle, there are a lot of variables in getting the right load set up for your game. Most people use buckshot as an excuse for laziness. They buy a couple random boxes at the store, and then go "buck blasting" without even patterning their gun with the load they bought to find its max effective range, never mind patterning several loads to see which is the most effective in their gun.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:47 am 
Limited Edition

Have a box of it, and its quite the kicker. However, it is purely useless for my use. My shotguns are setup for HD only, and 2 3/4" works for 2 legged varmits.

"I'll stick with what I know. You two just keep circle jerking with ammo manufacturer's data." Originally posted by Spurrit on why steel barrels are valid forms of ballistic testing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:31 am 
Tournament Grade

Blain wrote:
Karl wrote:
...you can spray buckshot at big bovines all day at buckshot ranges and they just run off.
Karl.

By the way you speak, you sound as if you had been "spraying" buckshot at these beasts before. Otherwise, why would you make a statement that they'll just "run off" if you do so?

That's because I've done it and buckshot on a 2000lb animal is certainly spray.Whether you choke, use factory, high capacity guns or empty 15 pellets of 000 buck hard balls, the heaviest I used. This was a load for big pigs and horses, two animals we have the largest populations of the world as introduced pests,with no bag limits or rules on killing them, and opportunistically shot at other vermin(feral cattle) which at shotgun ranges had no discernible effect.

Buckshot( as anyone who has used a shotgun knows) is a minimal large deer species load, and cannot break bovine bones, unless delivered at the same sort of ranges you kill them in a pen with about anything anyway.

Now if I am stupid for trying, I am not alone.
"You could easily take buffalo up close with this load" ;)

The difference I replaced bad ideas with actual experience as soon as I could.

Karl.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:51 am 
Limited Edition

There are only 10 pellets of 000 (.36 caliber) in a 3" shell.

What distance was the shot? How does the load pattern at that distance? What area did you aim for?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Blain wrote:
Karl wrote:
Karl.

First of all, anyone who is stupid enough to be "buck blasting" and just sprays buckshot at random animals without even patterning the gun, or shooting within the effective patterning range of the gun/load combo has no business hunting with a shotgun.

You don't "spray" shot charges randomly at an animal, you direct highly lethal discharges of tightly patterned shot to the animal's vital areas.

LOL. I think Dick Chaney learned that lesson! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Blain wrote:
So you can't understand why one would want buckshot with more power and extended range? Why make any buck size larger than #4 then? Why make magnum rifle rounds? :roll:

O.K."Mr. :roll: " - 1st the thread is about range NOT shot size.

I see no valid reason for hunting purposes, other that to facilate "lazy" hunters that don't have the woodsmanship skills to get close enough to the game. Which IMHO is thje whole reason I hunt, the challenge of getting up close & personal.

I don't agree with turning Shotguns into rifles. Shotguns are short range weapons. Just because one can do something doesn't mean one should.

For those that choose a Shotgun for HD.....We always talk about limiting over penitration. Read any of the 100's of threads here.

As to mag. rounds in general.....If they disappered tommorow, the sun would still raise uin the east and ducks & geese would still fall from the sky, and 00 buck would still stop Zombies in mid-stumble.

Sincerely,
MR. :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

no matter how much you 'hot rod' 00 buck, the fact remains that

1) a ball is ballistically horrible
2) balls bleed speed rediculously fast
4)its still OO buck sized and dosent retain energy
5) when you increase the hell out of the velocity, it bleeds off FASTER than if if it was going slower. its the kind of thing that the 1k FPS load is traveling the same speed as the 1400FPS load once both hit 40 yards.

If you want to hunt with buck shot, keep it close, pattern the gun, and keep it small whitetail size and smaller. anything bigger than that its slugs, and depending if we are talking a brown bear, then its hardcast slugs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:58 am 
Limited Edition

Quote:
“O.K."Mr. " - 1st the thread is about range NOT shot size. “

Those who are familiar with ballistics, and those with shooting experience know that the larger the shot, the longer the effective range of the load. Larger shot travels farther and is effective on game farther out than smaller shot.

Just as larger shot increases distance, there are other factors that help with this also. Denser (harder and heavier shot) has a further effective range. That is the whole marketing concept behind hevi-shot, that you can kill game much farther out than the same size shot in lead. This is also the problem with steel, it is lighter, and doesn’t have the same effective range as lead in the same size of shot. Which is why steel shooters have to use larger shot sizes as a comparable hunter with lead/hevi-shot.

Velocity also helps increase effective range, every company makes “high velocity” turkey loads because it has increased killing power and also increased effective range. A higher velocity will mean the shot will have the same kinetic energy at a farther distance than a comparable shot with a lower velocity.

Quote:
”I see no valid reason for hunting purposes, other that to facilate "lazy" hunters that don't have the woodsmanship skills to get close enough to the game. Which IMHO is thje whole reason I hunt, the challenge of getting up close & personal.”

Well, thousands of people who designed, built, and buy the hevi-shot shells for big money for exactly that reason may disagree with you. They want the best tool for the job, and they want the ability to kill game farther out. I don’t see what the problem with that is? You pay for performance. If you don’t see the reason for a more effective shell, then fine you don’t need to use it. Those who want the performance can pay for it, just like hevi-shot. Even #7 1/2 shot will kill most things within 5 yards when the shot is still grouped together tight in one mass. Taking your logic to the extreme, why don't you just use that and take all your game at ultra-short range?

Quote:
”I don't agree with turning Shotguns into rifles. Shotguns are short range weapons. Just because one can do something doesn't mean one should.”

This nice thing about shotguns is their versatility. Many people have preconceived notions about shotguns due to the fact that old technology had limited shotguns to only very short range. However, this is the 21st century, and we have vastly superior ballistics technology today. I don’t view it as a bad thing that we can increase the range of the shotgun with buckshot or slugs. It is still just as effective as it was at closer ranges, only now it’s also just as effective to a much larger range. I don’t understand the gripe. Who wouldn’t want a more effective weapon?
Quote:

”For those that choose a Shotgun for HD.....We always talk about limiting over penitration. Read any of the 100's of threads here.”

Since WHEN have I advocated these shells for home defense? I simply posted a thread to display what is currently the most powerful buckshot round available. If I posted a similar link about a slug, would you think that I also intended it for home defense????? Read the posts more thoroughly instead of trying to find excuses to attack the posters.

Quote:
”As to mag. rounds in general.....If they disappered tommorow, the sun would still raise uin the east and ducks & geese would still fall from the sky, and 00 buck would still stop Zombies in mid-stumble.”

Very intelligent post. I hope you feel better about yourself now.

I was going to post a response to "banditt007's" "post". However, then I read this statement.

Quote:
5) when you increase the hell out of the velocity, it bleeds off FASTER than if if it was going slower. its the kind of thing that the 1k FPS load is traveling the same speed as the 1400FPS load once both hit 40 yards

Since it's clear that banditt has no comprehension of physics, it's obviously a waste of time and effort to bother reasoning with such a person. Maybe if he reads a few physics books, or when he takes a physics class in high school, then he'll be able to converse on the subject of ballistics.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:44 pm 

Watch it, boys. I've got my eye on this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

Blain - I salute you for the effort that you put into your rsponce, a beautiful spin-job! ....Bravo!!!.... Scrape away the hype and it still is a matter of money and lazy hunters. The ammo co. have a market created by guys that can't hunt thier @$$ outta a paper bag.

True hunting vs. Killing anything just to kill it is about skills woodsmanship and shooting compentcy. Things you can't just walk into Wallyworld and buy on sale. Something real hunters know. :wink:

My favorite weapons to hunt with are Bow, Knife and handgun. In ranges under 20 yrds. When I used to Pheasant hunt it was with a 20 ga, over/under. With a goal of not firing the second barrel. I don't wear rambo camos or ride an ATV, when I elk hunt we bivy hunt pack it & out on our backs.I eat what I kill.

I understand hard work & learning skills are lost concepts these days.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Perhaps in big bear country as a camp protector ??