It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 930, once and for all!!! (With Pics)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

I realize there has been alot of questions about this shotgun as of late (most by me), and this is a review/opinion of my 930 which I have owned for almost 2 months.

Here she goes, when I made my quest for a quality autoloader under $1000 (canadian) I looked at all of your typical players (Browning, Franchi, Stoeger, Remington and so on...) What I came to realize was that a good utilitarian gun can be had for approx $600 CAN. So I kind of narrowed my search down to a REM 11-87, Stoeger 2000 and Mossy 930, this leaves me some more cash for camo, decoys and ammo. I decided I wanted a gas system for recoil purposes and a max-4 camo for the waterfowl blind. I picked the Mossy 930 over the Rem 11-87 for a few reasons. I like what I have heard about mossy's warranty, I liked the lighter weight of the 930 and I wanted North American made!!!

When I recieved my 930 I began taking it apart for cleaning. To my surprise it didn't have any packing grease or alot of oil inside or out. What it did have was a dirty bore and gas system, being brand new I assume this is from test firing at Mossberg, nothing a few swipes of a patch and brush didn't get rid of. First off the fit and finish seems nice, there were a few nicks and bubbles in the camo but otherwise acceptable. The forearm has a little side to side play in it but nothing major and too noticeable. The weight is very well balanced between both hands and points very nicely for me, allthough I think I may need to add a little drop shim in soon. The bolt and barrel seems to be made very well and looks to be solid for years to come, the barrel also slides into the receiver quite nicely with a very snug fit. When the bolt is released there is a very solid metal to metal "thud" sound.

The gas system is attached to the barrel, as I am told much like an 1100 and being no moving parts or O-rings it should be fairly reliable in the field. There is some sort of light weight aluminum tube surrounding the magazine tube, not sure what it is for. What's different is that where there are normally action bars connected to the bolt, are simply two stubby pusher 'arms' that act on the bolt. They aren't fixed together, they just push back on the bolt and then the 'action bar' block springs forward independant of the bolt.

I wasn't really sold on the porting of the barrels and didn't even notice this until I got it home. However it isn't any louder than my BPS or Pintail that I have been able to notice. Mossberg has put a few nice touches on this gun like a fibre optic sight and sling swivel studs aswell as an ambidexturous tang safety.

I patterned the gun with a number of field loads both steel and tungsten at 35 yards. And my particular gun shot Kent Fasteel, and federal Premium 1 1/4oz #2 steel well!! And it seemed to like the 2.75", 1 3/8oz #3 Tungsten Matrix by Kent. It also shot low brass target/trap federal loads used by my clubs trap nights without a hitch.

All things aside for the budget minded shooter/waterfowler that is looking to save some money for other things like Decoys, ammo, cammo clothing and other expences that come with the sport. The Mossberg 930 is a very aggressive offering in the under $500 US autoloader scene. And I think guns like the Franchi I-12, Remington 11-87, Beretta Pintail and other high dollar auto's should watch their heels, for this 930 could very well be their equals. Here are some pics of the gun one of my successfull outing with it. Cheers

Drake Mallards!!
Image Image Image

First Black Duck!!!
Image [/img]

Post subject: re: Mossberg 930, once and for all!!! (With Pics)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:17 pm 
Field Grade

that is 1 very attractive gun u got there... i think if i could give her a name itd be, FANTABULOUS 8) ... forgive the corniness(is that even a word?)... i jus love this gun n wish i had the $$$ to buy one, but rest assure it will be my next purchase! great lookin ducks by the way! :P

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the great review. I too have thought about getting one. Maybe I should talk my father into getting one. :lol: He's looking for a cheap autoloader also. I have had my eye on a 930 for a long time, and I can't figure out why Mossberg doesn't advertise this more. I found one in a store a few months ago, checked it out, and (at first glance) found it to be very solid. Best of luck to you and your purchase!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nice, did it come with stock shims, I have read they did.

At any rate, I wish someone with the Walnut stock one would post pics. Thanks for your pics btw.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Great review! I also, am looking at buying a 930. I'm glad someone took the time to write up a decent review! They are very nice-looking guns, and you can't beat the warrenty. I'd also like to see some pics of the 930 with walnut stock...but yours is definitely an eye-catcher. Very nice birds also...looks like you had a productive day!

-Gary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Guys, the Warranty is only 2 years. I think they used to do lifetime, but arn't currently.