CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington "Skeet II" choke
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Remington makes what they call a "Skeet II" choke. Apparently, it's a little tighter than a regular skeet choke, but more open than an IC.

Anyone think this might have any place in sporting clays?

Post subject: Re: Remington "Skeet II" choke
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SuperCell wrote:
Anyone think this might have any place in sporting clays?

No.

Seminole makes one like that, too. In 12 ga, their Skt is .005, Skt II .008 and IC .010.

I cannot imagine any use for that other than for the maker to sell more tubes. In practical application on the sporting clays course, you probably can detect a difference between .005 and .010 if you shoot enough targets and keep notes on the results. But I guarantee that you will never be able to tell the difference between .008 and .010. Note that I did not say there is no difference: you just might be able to tell a difference by careful and repeated pattern testing, but not in actually shooting at targets.

If Skt isn't enough, put in an IC. You would have to suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorder to worry about splitting hairs like that.

The more shooting experience I get, the less choke-changing I do. Nowadays I shoot almost everything with LM (IC would do) and I carry a Skt and a F, neither of which I use very often. That's all I need, and IMHO that's all you need.

To paraphrase Bruce Buck "The Technoid", there are only 3 chokes: None, Some, and A Lot. anything else is just hair-splitting.

Post subject: re: Remington "Skeet II" choke
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

Actually, Skeet II is the same as Light Modified, which is between Improved Cylinder and Modified.

Skeet II is .005 thousandths smaller than Imp. Cyl. which means it shoots a tighter(smaller) pattern than Imp.Cyl.

This info is based on my SKB 85TSS chokes which show a difference of .005 between chokes and show the skeet II falling between the improved cylinder and modified.

I think it's an excellent choice for the tightest choke you might need in clays. I'm down to three chokes now, skeet, improved cylinder and for the real long ones, light modified, otherwise known as skeet II.

Copterdrvr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

I know you are not talking about Briley chokes in your original post, but they make a couple of different skeet chokes. From looking at their website, it looks like they make a light skeet (.003), a skeet (.005) and an improved skeet (.007). What you are talking about sounds like what Briley calls an improved skeet choke.

Post subject: Re: re: Remington "Skeet II" choke
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

copterdrvr wrote:
Actually, Skeet II is the same as Light Modified, which is between Improved Cylinder and Modified.

That is the traditional definition of Skeet II, but not all tube makers follow that nowadays. In their attempts to sell more tubes to the "choke-twiddlers", they are making intermediate constrictions and calling them by any name they can think of, and since what used to be called Skeet II is now called LtMod, they took the old unused name and re-defined it.

Next thing you know they will be trying to tell us that to be prepared for any kind of target we need tubes in .001 increments from Cyl to XF. That would be 40 tubes - for an O/U, you would need to buy and carry 80 tubes!

Total nonsense! Sporting clays only requires 3 degrees of choke:

1. None. (Cyl or Skt)
2. Some. (IC or LM)
3. A Lot. (IM or F)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Seamus - I rather agree with you...I use IC for almost all shots, very occasionally going to skeet or cyl for maybe close rabbit shots and stepping up to mod very occasionally for really distant tower presentations. I haven't found the need to go tighter than mod, but rather will change from my normal 1 1/8, #8 to 1 1/8, #7.5 Nitro Handicaps with either IC or mod for some longer shots rather than change chokes.

I'm no expert at SC, but the more I shoot at different courses in the Maryland area, the more impressed I am with the versatility of the Briely thin wall IC choke in my SX-1.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

Briley sure makes good stuff....I just ordered a couple Lt. Skeet ported chokes for my Ruger 28ga.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have the rem skeet II choke only because it came w/ a skeet barrel. It does measure .007 vs. the .005 for their skeet.
The only necessary thing about it is a backup for another in your group w/ a Remington that forgot the rest of his chokes and had a full installed because he was shooting trap the day before.

Post subject: Re: re: Remington "Skeet II" choke
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
Sporting clays only requires 3 degrees of choke:

1. None. (Cyl or Skt)
2. Some. (IC or LM)
3. A Lot. (IM or F)
[/quote]

Totally agree with the concept. You have however, listed 6 degrees of choke-I really DO use 3 degrees. :D

I carry 2 skeets, 2 i.c.'s, and 2 light mods when shooting clays. I used to carry 2 cylinder tubes but I've moved past that now. With that setup the options are endless and I haven't met a clays target that wasn't killable if I did my part.

Actually I practice almost exclusively with the light mods. As my shooting buddy likes to say, "practice tight and shoot for the money loose".

Copterdrvr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I guess I wasn't clear. I generally use Skt, LM, IM only.

Some other combination would work, like Cyl, IC, F, etc.

Post subject: Re: Remington "Skeet II" choke
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

[quote="Seamus O'Caiside

To paraphrase Bruce Buck "The Technoid", there are only 3 chokes: None, Some, and A Lot. anything else is just hair-splitting.[/quote]

To Paraphrase Gil Ash, there are only three leads in sporting. A little, some lead, and alot.

It works very well with three sets of chokes, sk, lm and im.

simple and effective.

That's going to leave a mark!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:35 pm 
Limited Edition

It may depend on when you got the Skeet II choke and what type it is (flush, extended blued, extended nickel).

Remington has been kind of screwy with their nomenclature -- I think more so than even some of the other makers. The first Rem "Skeet" ckoke that I bought was flush and actually has a negative constriction (-0.003). At that time Rem's "Skeet II" flush choke was the same as everyone else's standard skeet (0.005 constriction).

Rem's extended "Skeet" chokes also came in a variety of constrictions -- both positive and negative at different times. I've seen some of the blued ones listed with as much as -0.005 constriction (or lack thereof).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:06 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I cannot see much value to splitting the difference in constriction between skeet and IC.

I think that many shooters would be better off working on their shooting skills rather than considering minor choke differences.

When it comes to chokes never just twist them in and head to a big shoot. Measure them and shoot them at the range you intend to use them with your loads. Even the best can have a choke tube with the wrong label on it. It happened to my shooting partner at the 2000 US Open. She had a skeet choke that actually was between IM and Full.

Another thought on this.............. Can we estimate ranges well enough to match chokes in .005" increments to those estimates?

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:38 am 
Presentation Grade

Astomb,

You are very right. I once bought a pair of SKEET chokes at BRILEY. They were marked skeet of course. After a couple of weeks I discovered they were actually DIFFUSION chokes, rifling and all. Briley admitted the error and offered to replace them.