CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 870 flash suppressor question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am pretty new to the world of tactical shotguns. I recently purchased a new 870 express magnum, so far I have modified it with a speedfeed forend and a Knoxx Spec-ops Stock. I have seen flash suppressors similar to what you would see on the end of a AR-15 or a M-16 available for shotguns...I am curious if they are worth a damn, do they function or are they just for looks?

For example:
This product is for a Saiga 12 shotgun, but similar to what I am looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:24 am 
Presentation Grade

Kurt_McNugget wrote:
"...I am curious if they are worth a damn, do they function or are they just for looks?..."

I think that putting a flash suppressor on a shotgun would be like using an umbrella in a hurricane (why bother?)...

...that, and it would add a couple or three inches to your barrel length when 'shorter' is generally considered more practical than 'longer' for a tactical shotgun.

Post subject: re: 870 flash suppressor question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The "flash suppressor" you have pictured is similar to what Mossberg is offering, the barrel length is still 18.5" WITH the breacher:

Unless you are using it for it's intended purpose, taking down reinforced doors, then they are just for looks.

But, I got to admit, they do look cool.......

Smitty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:49 am 
Tournament Grade

On rifles, I prefer a muzzle brake over a flash hider since I can actually tell the difference of with and without. However, either one has the added benefit of protecting the muzzle from being dinged, etc. This is why I install them on all of my rifles. Even a little shorty muzzle device, whether it be brake or hider, will help to keep the muzzle crown in nice shape. No, a shotgun barrel does not really have a crown like a rifle barrel but it can still be dinged or even bent. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

What is a good quality brand/manufacturer?

Website suggestions?

Just to satisfy my own curiosity...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can only get the one for the Mossberg 500's if you buy a new gun.

BUT, You can get the same breacher built into a Remington 870 18.5 inch barrel.

Just about any gun shop can get them from TALO Distributors in New Hampshire.

http://www.taloinc.com/

Smitty

Post subject: Re: re: 870 flash suppressor question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

Smitty in CT wrote:
You can get the same breacher built into a Remington 870 18.5 inch barrel.

Is this something that can be done aftermarket or does it have to come stock that way?

Post subject: Re: re: 870 flash suppressor question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Kurt_McNugget wrote:
Smitty in CT wrote:
You can get the same breacher built into a Remington 870 18.5 inch barrel.

Is this something that can be done aftermarket or does it have to come stock that way?

The ones I have seen come as a complete barrel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:25 am 
Tournament Grade

I've found some aftermarket ones, but nothing that doesn't look like it wouldn't mar up the barrel.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:27 am 
Diamond Grade

Longtime lurker, first time poster here, but many of y'all probably know me from MC, NJO, TFF, or some of the other gun forums :lol: I just started getting my first few batches of the production version of the KA-1212 (pat pend) 12ga brake/suppressors in the past couple months. We've tested the hell out of them and they work even better than we anticipated. I have them in stock for the Moss500/590, Rem870/1187, Win1300, and Legacy PS Magnum. I also have a threaded Saiga version due in a few weeks. The brake comes in a standard configuration and a breacher version (we have the breacher out on demo with a few LE agencies). We can also make the brakes to a custom size for special applications as well. We're getting excellent recoil/flash reduction and better grouping. The ports are also configured to not blow down on the mag tube and to keep any blast and flash out of the line of sight by directing it strictly to the sides. The brake is also tapped for a 6-48 bead/sight and I usually install Hi-Viz fiberoptic sights on them. It's really got me putting in a lot of triggertime with shotguns as well, I used to not use them much because of the recoil's abuse of my shoulder. I was designing some other gun parts when I got to thinking "Gee, I wish I could put a damn muzzlebrake on a shotgun like I have on some of my rifles, then it wouldn't beat the crap out of me". After looking around a bit on the web I noticed that not many folks are making shotgun brakes (there's a lot more design issues then you'd have with a rifle brake because of the wad/sabot) and very few making ones that can be mounted without a choke tube extension. Started tinkering with the idea and designed up a couple prototypes and started testing them. After several design changes and a lot of testing we came up with the production version which is lighter and reduces flash better than the prototype versions yet provides the same level of recoil reduction. Takes about 20-30 minutes to install and the kit includes the instructions, allen key, and 242 Loctite. Basically, the brake is pre-machined to fit the OD of a particular model of shotgun so one simply removes the front sight from the barrel, slides the brake on (some lapping may be required, but not usually), sets the sight/bead on the brake at 12 o'clock, marks the four screw holes, remove brake and drill a .050" deep hole with a 3/16" bit at each screw location, remount brake and line up holes, apply Loctite to screws and tighten with key, then test drive the shotgun. The install is designed to be easy and permanent (except for the Saiga version). Really easy install, I've done several for folks and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to install them properly. The brake is also available without setscrew holes for silversolder applications if wanted. The company website is under construction currently so I am offering them through my Gunsandall.com auction site until the other site is finished and debugged.

Anyways, here's some pics of the brake and one of the demo guns