CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re Beretta 391 12 GA, DU Gold
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello,

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance...

I am looking at a used Beretta Model 391, Stock # 9781 Ducks Unlimited Gold Edition, # 382 of 3500. I have two questions about this model

1) It is about 98% of mint condition in terms of any wear......what would be a fair price range for me to pay for this shotgun?

2) I was also looking at another Beretta Model 391, a non DU model, and a lower grade of wood.....I am a bit confused because on the lower grade model, stamped on the barrel (at the Beretta factory) it says that it is chambered for 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells......whereas on the DU edition, the barrel stamp says chambered for 3 inch shells........WHY would one have both length shells listed, and the other (DU Model) only 3 inch shells listed? The person trying to sell me the DU shotgun claims that it shoots BOTH 2 3/4 and 3 inch, yet it is only stamped for 3 inch? Any input would be greatly appreciated.....I don't know enough about shotguns to know if one is chambered for 3 inch shells that it is AUTOMATICALLY ALSO able to take 2 3/4 inch shells.
Thanks again,
JT

Post subject: re: re Beretta 391 12 GA, DU Gold
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:28 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Let me respond to 2) first. It is my understanding that it is ok to shoot 2 3/4" shells from a 3" chamber. However some 3" gas autos would not cycle light 2 3/4" shells reliably. The 391 is suppose to have a piston that should allow it to shoot any shell inter-changeably. So unless it is stamped "Use Only 3 inch Shells" it should be ok to use shorter shells. You may need to use relatively fast 7/8 oz, 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz loads for the action to operate reliably.

The 2005 Blue Book does not list a DU model. What it does list is the Model AL 391 Urika Gold 98% $725. There is a AL 391 Ringneck Pheasants Forever model 1 of 1000; 98% $995. I don't think that the DU model will be priced as high as the Pheasant model since 3500 were made compared to 1000.

NRA Life
NSCA Life + Level 1 Instructor
ATA Annual