CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carrier Barrels
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:17 am 
Limited Edition

I have a Browning XS Skeet. I would like to get a tube set but don't like the idea of changing the weight/balance with tubes inserted. I saw on the Kolar website that they will turn a set of barrels into a carrier barrel and then build tubes for it. It is supposed to be the same as shooting it without the tubes. According to Browning, they won't fit another set of barrels to their guns. Any idea where I can get a carrier barrrel or a barrel to be converted to a carrier?

Post subject: re: Carrier Barrels
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:43 am 
Field Grade

I've never heard of a carrier barrel for a Browning. But that don't mean it ain't so.

If you're concened about weight/balance, you might try a shorter barrel with ultra-lite tubes. Than shoot the 20 ga. in the 12 ga. event.

Or go with the ultra-lites in your barrels, put a bit of weight in the stock to maintain the balance and learn to shoot with the new overall weight.

jd6729

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:34 am 

I'm assuming from the first post that the gentleman wants to keep a regular 12ga barrel and then shoot the carrier with the tubes. Unless you can find a source for a second barrel, you have two options: 1) get your barrel that you have now tubed and shoot the 20 for the 12 and doubles and then see the comment above about learning to handle the new weight/balance; or 2) get your barrel that you have now tubed and get a matching removable barrel weight to weight the empty barrel to match the tubed weight and then see comment above about learning to handle the new weight/balance.

There are way too many very successful shooters who do not shoot the 12 to dismiss off hand the notion of shooting the 20 in the 12 and doubles events. The 12ga World Championship last October was won by a Kirkman shooting the 20. Even Bender shoots the 20 for the event, although he uses the 12 for the shootoffs.

And as the weight and balance goes, unless you are physically very weak, the heavier gun will be better for your game anyways. Add the weight to the stock as well to balance it back out.

Now go and do and shoot!

Kill 'em all

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:51 am 
Presentation Grade

I think just about anyone who picks up a tubed o/u for the first time wonders how anyone could shoot something so heavy. But it takes very little time to get used to it and then you'll wonder why anyone would shoot a gun without tubes. I don't know if Briley or Kolar would bore out your existing barrel to make it a carrier barrel but I kind of have my doubts. You can make a gun too heavy of course but even though the XS is a fairly heavy gun to begin with I didn't really appreciate mine until I had tubes made for it. With the tubes I began to get much better follow though and shot the gun much better than I had without tubes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have an XS Skeet coming back with tubes and am looking forward to a heavier gun...did you guys w/a tubed XS add weight to the stock, or just go blast away? (How do you add weight if you need it BTW?)

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:57 pm 

Usually around a pound of shot into the bolt hole in the stock.

:D

Kill 'em all

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

For me the gun is heavy enough with the tubes in it and besides I want the weight out front on the muzzle to help with follow though. I've tried adding weight to other tube guns and it never worked out very well for me. Try it both ways and see what works for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mike,

If you just fill the stock bolt hole with shot, do you feel it rattle?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Claybreaker,
I would suggest that you try an experiment. Get a weight set for your 12 gauge barrel and hang a weight on the bottom barrel just in front of the forend to simulate the tube weights. Try that for a while and see if you can get used to it. I suspect that you can. It will save you a bunch when it comes to trying to get a carrier barrel made for your gun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Claybreaker,

I have two K-80's, my wife has one K-80 and all three guns have a carrier barrel and a 12 ga barrel. You can have your Browning barrel turned into a carrier barrel by Briley for about $500 plus the cost of tubes. I shoot the carrier 20 in the 12 ga event. The only time I shoot the 12 ga barrel is in doubles, trap, 5-stand, or sporting clays. I find that using the carrier barrel maintains the gun's original feeling of balance and reduces fatigue. If you wanted to acquire another 12 ga barrel to make a two barrel set I would contact a factory authorized Browning gunsmith and they should be able to order and fit a raw barrel to your gun. I also have and shot for a year a Browning 525 with tubes. There is no comparing the feel of a tubed 12 ga to a gun with a carrier barrel. If you have the money get a second barrel and make it your carrier barrel. If you get Briley tubes get the Ultimate Ultralite Classic tubes. Don’t get the revolution tubes. I have both and prefer the classic tubes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

Claybreaker;
I shoot a 30" XS Skeet in competition with Briley match weight companion tubes.
In the 12ga and doubles event I install a Briley 10 oz. barrel weight at about the middle of the barrel between the front of the forend and the muzzle.
The gun balances at the heel of my palm with tubes in and tubes out(with the weight installed).
Seems to work pretty well for me.
I have also thought about a carrier barrel made for my XS, but this is cheaper and works at this point.
Happy New Year to all; :)

Last edited by CPXSSKEET on Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:10 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks for all the replies. I have a herniated disc in my neck that is pressing on nreves in both arms. I have a lot of trouble with fatigue in both arms but am putting off surgery for as long as I can. I'll add a barrel weight and add some weight to the stock to balance it and see how I fare. If I can handle the extra weight, I'll get a set of tubes, if not, I'll go the carrier route.