CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best way to store shot shells?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

I assume this has been covered before and I don't want any flames ( :roll: ), but I am wondering how you all safely store you shells. I have been shooting and reloading for many years and used to have a magazine for this purpose but it did not make the last move with us. Just having them sit on a shelf does not seem like the best idea..... Let's see how some of you do it. Thanks.

Post subject: re: Best way to store shot shells?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:03 pm 
Limited Edition

I box them up in used factory ammunition boxes of 25 and store them in a used "flat" container on a area of my work bench until I plan on using them-then transfer them to my ammo bag for the day at the gun club. They are all kept in my basement of my house.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

I store mine in 25 round boxes.
I keep them in the shop & in the bed room closet.
All are under lock and key in a wooden box of 1" thick
soft wood.
Might be over kill but it make the wife happy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

I keep the pockets of my hunting jacket and vest full and ready.

Some of my shells are thrown into a bucket in the basement.

I have a few bags of various sorts full of a variety of shells.

Sometimes I find them rolling around the floorboard of the truck.

I am sure that none of these are the best way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I purchased a large plastic cabinet from Home Depot years ago.
Loaded ammo on the bottom, powder wads, etc on higher shelves, and a padlock.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:06 pm 
Limited Edition

I buy mine by the case and usually just leave them in the cases . Keep them in a dry , cool place , thats about it . Same goes for whatever I reload , I save to original boxes and store the shells in those . Again keep'em cool and dry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

In a metal locker with my guns with a padlock on the front in the basement. I have 3 kids at home, so I get pretty regimented about how all my guns and accessories are stored...

Funny side note- my wife threw me a surprise birthday party for me this summer; my Dad took me shooting to get me out of the house. When I walked in the house, I insisted on going straight into the basement with my gun- I won't even leave it laying around the house for 5 minutes. So, there she was pulling me into a family room filled with 50 surprise guests and I'm pulling the other way to go into the basement. At least neither of us used any harsh language. Boy was I surprised!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

In New South Wales ammunition has to be stored securely, in a safe or strong box, separately from the weapon. If you get a police inspection and they find ammunition lying around, or they find ammunition in the same place as the weapon, they confiscate the lot and you could lose your licence. As far as I am aware police inspection can only take place by appointment, not by surpirise (it has not happened to me, yet)

I must add that I actually agree with this, makes me feel safer.

The only legislation that I do not agree with is the need to apply for and obtain a "licence to acquire" every time you want to buy a weapon, and the fact that it includes a mandatory 28 day waiting period.

Ammunition can be purchased simply upon display of the shooters licence.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:49 pm 
Limited Edition

when i was reloading them, i just stored them in sandbags (500 rounds per bag). now that i just buy them, i leave them in the flats they come in stacked in a closet. i then put them in plastic dryboxes to take to shoots. in case of rain, i just latch the dry boxes and all is well. they hold 300 rounds per box. i used to put them back in the 25 round boxes when i would reload but it seemed like it took me as much time to do that as it did to reload. bulk is better!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:54 am 
Deleted

Last edited by PSB on Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:10 am 
Diamond Grade

I keep ammunition stored separately from my guns (which are in a locked gun safe except for what I keep out for home defense.)

Keep ammunition in a dry place at room temps. I don't have it under lock and key, because I see no need for it from a safety aspect.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:15 am 
Diamond Grade

Factory ammo I store in the original boxes. Reloads are usually bagged 25 or 50 per quart zip-lock bag.

I keep most on shelves in my basement but, not having kids around anymore, they could be just about anywhere in the house.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:21 am 
Diamond Grade

I keep my ammo in a padlocked wooden cabinet in my garage. (I have a two-year old kid). I keep five rounds upstairs in the bedroom a butt-stock ammo holder on my 11-87 in my Stack-on gun cabinet.

I'm going to upgrade though--planning on getting a more convincing gun safe (maybe a Sentry, haven't decided yet). Once I do I will move the Stack-on to the garage and use it to store the ammo.

It's nowhere near as totalitarian here as it is in NSW, Australia. But it is Connecticut, so give it time. :shock: We do have a state law to the effect that if the neighbors or a couple of police officers--just about anyone who happens to dislike you and is feeling grumpy-- can call the police and have you investigated for being a gun nut, right-wing wierdo, etc. There's also a liability law for the guns if someone else gets hold of them and does nefarious deeds. So having realistic gun & ammo storage is important. In fact, I'm going to a full-bore safe just for my own piece of mind, although it's only a matter of time until doing so is legislated.

This year the Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen and other common-sense people managed to defeat a law that would have made it possible to prosecute the gun owner if a gun was stolen and the owner knew or "should have known" and failed promptly to call the police. Being negligent about storage was again part of the deal. Obviously gun ownership implies safety responsibilities, but it's also a great way for anti-gunners to chip away at 2nd amendment rights. Who knows how "should have known" would be interpreted?

We're not California, but as I say, give us time.

Jeff

Jeff23
Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen
National Rifle Association

Post subject: Re: re: Best way to store shot shells?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OzLanber wrote:
In New South Wales ammunition has to be stored securely, in a safe or strong box, separately from the weapon. If you get a police inspection and they find ammunition lying around, or they find ammunition in the same place as the weapon, they confiscate the lot and you could lose your licence. As far as I am aware police inspection can only take place by appointment, not by surpirise (it has not happened to me, yet)

I must add that I actually agree with this, makes me feel safer.

The only legislation that I do not agree with is the need to apply for and obtain a "licence to acquire" every time you want to buy a weapon, and the fact that it includes a mandatory 28 day waiting period.

Ammunition can be purchased simply upon display of the shooters licence.

This is scary. No offense, because I see where you live. I certainly hope I (and most of my fellow Americans) don't ever start thinking like this. Will you feel safer when that home invader is standing in your bedroom and you have no means of self protection? Sadly I do think our country is heading slowly in your direction though, but not if I can help it, with the help of the NRA, which we all should be life members of. Sorry to get off topic, and truly no offense is meant by my comments!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

I store ammo in used military ammo cans. Cheap, effective, and keeps for years.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have been thinking about Mil. Ammo cans too, and wonder if it could be a safety problem in case of fire. (confined space, etc.)??

Post subject: Re: re: Best way to store shot shells?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:57 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

carpe dm wrote:
I have been thinking about Mil. Ammo cans too, and wonder if it could be a safety problem in case of fire. (confined space, etc.)??

If you have a substantial amount, I could probably run over and store some for you in the back of my pickup :wink: :lol:

Really, I don't think you want to store them in an airtight container, not only for mold but you don't want to create a bomb either.

I would just build a good shelf, high enough to keep little hands away but easy enough to get to. I keep mine in my reloading closet, or did, I have a little spillage at the moment which is the way I like it. Just boxed and sitting on the concrete floor, and shelves. The closet is lockable, though I have little reason to do so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks, Tex. I will get out my woodworking tools. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:33 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I put mine in factory boxes, then into the factory flats. All that then goes into an old refrigerator along with desiccant bags. The refrigerator's magnetic door seal acts as the weak wall, and the old fridge prevents the ammo from getting too hot or too cold. You could put a hasp on the door, but I prefer a locked outbuilding with alarm system.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor in Rifle, Pi$tol, and Home Firearm Safety
NSSA Level I Instructor
NSSA Official Referee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:58 am 
Diamond Grade

Hey Bob, that's an interesting method. What would you say is "too cold"? Mine are in an unheated garage that's attached to the house--never seen it go below 40F but I'm curious.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff23
Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen
National Rifle Association