CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Benelli Ultralight
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:29 pm 
Field Grade

Anyone shoot or have an opinion on the Benelli Ultralight? I'm kind of looking for a light pheasant gun. Thanks

Post subject: re: Benelli Ultralight
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

Just handled my first one in a gunshop this evening. WOW! I want one!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:15 pm 
Field Grade

Would you know what they were going for?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

$1179 in Mid Missouri.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, I just went out last week to buy one. (Not too many onnthe shelves) So when I found a place with two of them, I drove the 30 plus miles.

I was inpressed with the lightness and loved the feel. However, I didn't like the "counter top" wood finish! I do like good wood and am just getting used to synthetic. I spent some time mulling over the weight and likely kick that would result. Finally spotted a M2 with a 21 inch barrel and Comfortech stock. Hand me that one please! Hey, just a smigon heavier than the Ultra Light! And felt even better.

It now has about 500 rounds through it and I am sure I made the right choice. Will be a great pheasant gun! Now, I need to find a longer barrel as well, for some of the clay games, (but that is secondary for this gun!)

Two other opinions that I have, I believe Benelli made a mistake with the Ultra Light, they should have used the Comfortech stock. (I would have then opted for it!) And two, I think they designed the chevrons wrong in the Comfortech stock! They should run from the front tip of the comb, down to just in front of the toe of the buttstock! That way it would be like the "Greycoil", etc. recoil reducers, and not push the comb up into one's cheek like it does with the way it is designed! Granted it does help, but it could be a lot better, I believe!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:55 am 
Limited Edition

I have close to 4000 rounds thru my Ultra Lite. One ounce loads are a breeze, recoil wise. I hunt with 1 1/8 loads and never feel the recoil while shooting game.

I pack mine chukar hunting and the 6# weight is ideal. I really do not care to hunt with anything else. I overlook the shiny finish for a gun that fits as well as the UL and weighs so little.

Fred

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Fred, don't do that to me!!!!

Just kidding!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:36 pm 
Limited Edition

Just some points of information about the possibilities of the UL. If one did not want to invest in a number of guns, the UL has that ability to shoot 7/8 oz, like a 20 ga., 1 oz like a 16 ga. and 1 1/8 oz like the 12 ga. In addition, one does get a little bit better patterns with the larger bore.

Although I have quite a few shotguns, I really prefer to shoot one the majority of time.

Except for waterfowling, the UL is an all around good choice for uplands. It has excellent dynamics and I believe Benelli did a marvelous job of enginering on this gun.

Fred

Post subject: Re: re: Benelli Ultralight
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

jugchoke wrote:
Fred, don't do that to me!!!!

Just kidding!

Don't want to make you feel worse but that walnut- stocked M2, that I just bought, even has some nice figure in it. I looked at that Comfortech version and it feels good in your hands but recoil doesn't bother me and I kept remembering .."life is too short to shoot with an ugly gun".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks guys!

And Fred, you just gave me an idea. I had fixed the wife up with a Beretta youth, 391 Urika but she has complained about the stiffness of the bolt spring. She likes the Benelli as it is much easier to pull back. Was going to try her out on a Benelli 20 gage, but your idea of 7/8 oz loads in the 12 sounds pretty good! Would likely have to hand load her hunting loads, but so what? That is no problem. I just don't much like the 20 gage on wild pheasants. Although she did about 50 percent with it last season, and I didn't do much better with a 20, (lots of feathers, but seemed to lack the knock down). I usually run about 95 percent with a 12! So much for "sizing down", in my old age! Picked up the old 303 Beretta 12 and it worked much better, but about pulled my arms out of the sockets, carrying it! (Being 70, three knee replacments and five by-passes, sucks!)

Maybe I will part with the Beretta and pick up a UL, and we can cover both of us with it and the short barreled M4. She doesn't walk as far as I do and the M4 would even work for her as a "blocker"! That way on "long walks and bad weather", I would get to use it! (I do have some "pretty" guns, but don't really like to beat them up in the field. Most of them are SXS, I have been called Side By Side Clyde! Although I certainly have taken some of them afield on occasion!)

Clyde

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:29 pm 
Limited Edition

Clyde, you mentioned the Benelli 20 ga, which I shot for years. There is a major difference to me, and everyone is different, between the UL and the 20 ga.

The UL seems to have much better dynamics and I know for sure, it is easier for me to kill chukars with it. I've also shot a lot of barn pigeons with good results. Since you seem to have shot a lot of shotguns, you know as well as I, that some guns are just easy to shoot. That is the way the UL seems to me and I am thankful as I like three shots when hunting and I like the lighter gun for carrying.

Fred

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have fought the urge to buy one all day! I even called a friend to get him to talk me out of it. He did.

But tomorrow is another day!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mtjim: $1179 in mid MO. Where abouts in mid MO? All I can find are over in KS, not here in west, mid MO. Nobody on this side of the state line has any!

And Fred, you have about got me talked into it! I love handling and carrying, (weight), that little Montefeltro 20 gage and do pretty well at skeet with it, (but not quite as good as with the Beretta Teknys 20). But I just knocked lots of feathers out of lots of birds last fall and they continued to fly off, or run after they hit the ground! Very frustrating to a guy who usually anchors them on the spot!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:10 pm 
Limited Edition

Mtjim, I wish you luck. Having shot Benelli guns for years, when I saw the Ultra Lite was being introduced, I could not wait. I bought it last February. I am not a heavy gun shooter, using a 7 1/4 lb o/u for sporting clays. So the UL integrated into my shooting very easily. In fact, I have one of the H&K Sports that I have shot a lot. I know the UL will not suit everyone, but it is worth looking at.

Fred

Last edited by Fred Willis on Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, I am a totally new Benelli owner. Never owned one before last year and now have three. A Nova 20, a Montefeltro 20 and the M4 12 gage.

But I should have known! Had a buddy years ago that doted on them. And I have used and liked Beretta, auto and break opens and SXS hammer, two trigger Bernadellis for years! That is where the SXS Clyde came from! Throw in a couple of Pedersoli black powder SXS muzzle loaders as well.

Fred, you said I seemed to have shot a few brands/types, you are right, been chasing pheasants with a shotgun now, for 61 years! And I never had such a bad year as last, in the old home stomping grounds, Northeast NE! Thank God we went to ND. first! First trip there, but next year have plans for ND, SD, and NE, with a possible KS. Start in the north and work our way south!

See what wears out first, the dogs, the thrice replaced knee or the five by-passes! And the wife gets her knee replaced for the second time, the week after next! She also has had 5 by-passes, getting old is not for sissies!

Clyde

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mtjim do not fight it, come over to the dark side. Seriously, as a UL owner I can only double confirm what others have said. Beautiful, light, cycles anything, mounts and points like nothing else! Truly LOVE mine!

Illegitimis nil carborundum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Clyde, you have got me by about 4 years in age. I am hoping I can do the things you do when I reach 70. You must have one heck of a lot of fortitude, to keep on hunting with your surgeries.

I had my best year as far as getting around this past season. Climbed those darn steep and rocky hills and shot pretty good. We usually camp for a week at a time and have a great time hunting. Heck, even the dogs get along with each other. We talk at times, that the present year could be the last for one of us so we must take advantage and have a good hunt together.

For you and the other participants here, I hope you have many more good seasons.

Fred

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've been lookng for a good light 12 gauge auto for late season pheasants. I do like to shoot 1 1/4 oz of 5's at 1220 fps which is a typical 3.25 Dram load.

Have any of you tried this type of load through your Ultralights? It can't kick too much worse than a 1300 fpd 1 1/8 oz load.

Otherwise, are there any 12 gauge semiautos that weigh about 6 1/2 pounds?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:52 pm 
Limited Edition

DE, no I have not had a need to shoot 1 1/4 load thru mine. But the "apparent lack of recoil", while shooting birds with the 1 1/8 loads makes me believe these loads you describe would certainly be ok.

I have hunted with a lot of 3" 1 1/4 loads in a 20 ga. Benelli and they are not even close to brutal, recoil wise. So I can't see why there would be any difference as my 20 ga. weighed in at 6 lbs., just like the Ultra Lite.

Fred

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

I love my Benelli UL. The gun had wonderful handling qualities, it's light to carry all day and it has the power of a 12 gauge. What's not to like? I have used my BUL on chukar, pheasant, quail and huns. I really don't see a need for another upland game gun.

My only suggestion is if you plan to shoot 1.25 ounce loads I would change out the gel pad. The limb saver has a pre-fit pad that really reduces the felt recoil.

I will never sell my BUL. :shock: