CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skeet cards (Shooting Aids)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:07 am 
Tournament Grade

I know this should probably be in the Skeet section, but thought it might get a little more exposure here. If it needs to be moved then please do so.

I’m looking for “cheat cards” for skeet shooting. Cards have the basics; where to hold, the lead needed, and where to break the bird. I’ve seen them somewhere, but for the life of me can not remember where. Took a new shooter couple times and now he’s hooked, I’m self taught and don’t want to teach him my bad habits, so I’m thinking I can give him the idea of how to shoot a particular station, then let him use the cards/sheet to help him more. Any help is appreciated.

Post subject: re: Skeet cards (Shooting Aids)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:16 am 
Diamond Grade

Hmmm...never seen or heard of such things. But if there are some somewhere...I wouldn't mind seeing them as well. Hope someone can provide info on this. I think they'd be helpful to pass on to new shooters. However...if I didn't like the content myself though.....I think I'd pass on doing that then. But I would like to see some.

The only thing I've seen along those lines is something I did. A very good article....I thought anyway.....on "how to practice" by Tom Aaron was in the May 2003 Skeet Shooting Review. I made small "cheat cards" and laminated them so they can be easily carried in one's pocket and referred to. Quite useful I think.

I hope someone comes along with what you're looking for here.

By the way.....

Quote:
I’m self taught and don’t want to teach him my bad habits

Who knows.....depending on how you shoot....maybe they're good habits......for you....and might work for him as well. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:31 am 
Presentation Grade

Get 4 of those little orange cones, or a stack of clays, or a pile of hulls.

Place a cone ~21 feet out from both windows and in line with the center stake. Those cones will establish your starting hold points for each station.

Next, place a cone on either side of the center stake, in line with the center stake, the "hold pt" cone and the window at a distance of ~4 feet. Those become your estimated leads for each station.

Break points should be pretty much over the center stake, give or take a few yards.

Last edited by Air on Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:31 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Well there is the Intro to Skeet & Bender Cheat Sheet that Case did such a good job on. It's located over in the Skeet section up top. You could make that into cards.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor in Rifle, Pi$tol, and Home Firearm Safety
NSSA Level I Instructor
NSSA Official Referee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:59 am 
Crown Grade

Try http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=49004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:22 pm 
Limited Edition

Or lets see if this works. It's a link at the bottom of "Benders Cheet Sheet" post listed by albanygun and Bob_K. It's an Adobe file that is all set up to print.
http://www.10xshooters.com/BenderCheatSheet/BenderCheatSheetLite.pdf

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Close, will work, however not exactly like the one I’m looking for. What I’m looking for has foot position, hold out, and lead with a picture/drawing of something. I seen them couple years ago, either here or another website, I can’t remember

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here is a simple way to help you set yourself up for any shotgun shot, be it skeet or sporting clays or trap, where you know where you would like to break the target. In a game like trap where you don't know exactly where the target will be going you still know the target limits so you set yourself up in the center of those limits.

Simply imagine the target hanging in mid air where you want to break it and set yourself as if you were going to aim and shoot at it right there. Then wind yourself back to your hold point.

You may adjust this a little bit down the road for some target presentations but this is a very good place to start for a new shooter.

As for hold points. A simple place to start on the skeet field is 1/3 of the way out from the skeet house to the center stake and on the flight path of the target or just slightly below it. Some coaches will put an orange cone at this point on the field.

There is a second hold point, the one for your eyes, again a simpler rule of thumb is half way from your barrel hold point back to the trap house. You don't want to look right into the house as you never want the target to get ahead of either your eyes or your barrel.

So, to recap for a begginer. Here is a good preshot routine. Imagine your targets break, stand and mount your gun and point right at that, then follow the flight path of the target back to your hold point, stop your gun, but continue to move your eyes back to your visual hold point. Pause as your mental focus now goes to nothing other then picking up the target and then call for the target.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:17 am 
Tournament Grade

Last year I purchased "Pocket Coach A Field Guide to Skeet Shooting" by Richard Koch. Each page (on card paper) shows my gun, target, lead, foot position for each station, H & L and doubles. Fits right in my pocket or target bag. Excellent tool to help get started.

I paid $19.95 plus shipping. In excellent, perfect condition. Will sell for $15.00 and I pay shipping.

drsachs@yahoo.com if interested.