CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: re: Rabbit Population
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:50 am 
Tournament Grade

splitarrow wrote:
260rem what is the bag limit for rabbitts there. If I counted correctly there was 26 rabittits.Here in Ohio we are only allowed 4 rabitts. Here in Ohio I used to be able to get my limit in a couple of hours, now I'lll be lucky to get 1. I don't know what the problem is but somebody better find it out to save the world! or at least the World of rabbit hunting

That depends on just how many bags can you carry :twisted:

Post subject: re: Rabbit Population
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

we can kill 8 but you better have a dog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We're at a population low here in NW Michigan, too. Local DNR officer was just in the paper saying it's mostly due to a higher coyote population, plus the avian predators. When we were kids a friend raised beagles & boy, did they hunt. What a great time.

Hey, to the guys down under - hoist a VB for a Yank who loves Australia, would you? One of the best beers in the world & you can't get it here. We can get your shiraz, though, and it's great!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:03 pm 
Field Grade

Hollywood_Heat wrote:
What's a rabbit? :roll:

The DNR reintrodced the coyote due to a rabbit problem, now the rabbits and quail are gone and we've got a coyote problem. Farmers plant all the acreage they can anymore so there's no fallow and or hedgerows for habitat. They also spray pesticies and fertilizers and I know if I was six inches tall and had to live in that crap, it pobably wouldn't do me any good. So there's alot of issues, I think. I do believe that if the DNR would set out to clean up they're coyote problem, that'd help the rabbit alot, at least on public areas where the fetrilitzer and pesticides aren't as present.

Some great "local wisdom" here :roll:

Habitat-Habitat-Habitat....provide them a home and they breed like well...rabbits. Leave your fencerows "messy" and quit fracking mowing everthing in sight! I see plenty on heavily-hunted public land in central WI along with lots of yotes and hawks! Additionally, I believe the local vegetable growers are some of the most pesticide-intensive producers in the US.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:44 pm 
Field Grade

Here in central Indiana, we see tons of rabbits during harvest, especially during corn harvest. We definitely see more rabbits the closer we are to houses, but not necessarily the closer we are to lots of cover.

As we combine, at least once a day we see coyotes chasing the rabbits as we shell corn, and at least once a day we see hawks nailing rabbits as well. It makes for some interesting days in the field, you feel like you're watching the experts. When I go back to hunt the fence rows in those areas a few weeks after harvest, the rabbits are gone.

I think they (the rabbits) are there during summer, and early fall, but they don't last very long. It's funny but the further you are from houses, and in the deepest cover, with woods, unmowed waterways, and fencerows, those are often (not always) the areas we see the fewest rabbits. Makes you wonder if it's a coyote problem mainly. I think the old red foxes that used to prowl these fields liked to eat rabbits when they could, but mainly ate mice.

Obviously lack of habitat is a problem, but even in areas with a lot of cover, the rabbits still are not there. Same problem with quail. The farmers in pheasant country in the prarie areas leave cover, and they get birds. If you leave cover in the quail and rabbit areas, you may only get possums, skunks, and coyotes. :cry: Sorry to chime in, here.

Post subject: For those of you in the St Louis area there are
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:52 pm 
Field Grade

way too many Hawks. We drove down one road tnd every fence post had a Hawk on it ready to pounce.

Down here in Southwest TN we had some down years for rabbits but they are on a comeback. Some boys have 2000 Westvaco acres they manage with foodplots for Deer and the rabbits are in good numbers. Both Swampers and Hillbillys.

By they way they'll shoot a Coyote and Bobcat in a heartbeat.

Deer are nearly as thick as rabbits here now as well.

Post subject: For those of you in the St Louis area there are
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:52 pm 
Field Grade

way too many Hawks. We drove down one road tnd every fence post had a Hawk on it ready to pounce.

Down here in Southwest TN we had some down years for rabbits but they are on a comeback. Some boys have 2000 Westvaco acres they manage with foodplots for Deer and the rabbits are in good numbers. Both Swampers and Hillbillys.

By they way they'll shoot a Coyote and Bobcat in a heartbeat.

Deer are nearly as thick as rabbits here now as well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:54 am 
Field Grade

I think every time we go hunting for anything here in south dakota u see 20 to 50 rabbits every time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:56 am 
Field Grade

papajohn,

I'm next door to Missouri in Iowa. The DNR has estimated the rabbit population this year to be 50% higher than last year.

A few weeks ago I went for a walk around my hay fields after work and jumped 6 rabbits in less than an hour. I usually see 2 or 3 bouncing around the house in the evenings. I'm occasionally box trapping a rabbit and turning it loose to help get my new beagle started at running rabbits.

The best rabbit hunt I was ever on was in north central Missouri. Those bunnies were huge and we all got our limits.

One afternoon last Fall I decided I wanted a rabbit for dinner so I grabbed the gun and walked out the basement door. I walked back in the basement door 15 minutes later with a rabbit.

On the flip side I saw two red foxes playing in the gravel road this morning about a mile from my house. A lot of times there are three of them playing. We also have coyotes coming out of our ears. There are bobcats and mountain lions nearby too. Red tailed hawks are all over the place.

I'm getting back into rabbit and squirrel hunting this year for the first time in decades. I have a Savage 24 combination gun in .22lr/20ga ordered that should arrive this afternoon. I also have my beagle about ready. So far I have access to 320 acres to hunt with 120 of it on my place and my next door neighbors' places.

Rabbit season and squirrel season open Saturday. I'm psyched!!!

Post subject: CoolDude there is always some smartassed yankee
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:34 am 
Field Grade

that thinks he knows everything.

Glad to hear about your rabbit population

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:00 am 
Diamond Grade

Haven't seen a rabbit since the Winter of '81/'82.

Haven't shot a rabbit since letting a Browning Sweet Sixteen disappear with a cousin who can't remember where he put it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rabbits are cyclic guys! Bunnies that is.They come and go from year to year. Just last year, I was "run over" with rabbits here. This year, almost none! That has happened 5/6 times, while I have lived here for the last 15 years.

When they get thick for a year or two, they die off big time, then come back in a year or two again.

I have seen that for 60 plus years.

Actually, Jack rabbits used to be that way as well, back home in NE. where I grew up. But along about the 1960's they did just disappear and haven't come back since that time.

And yes, the hawks, owls, 'coons, skunks and coyotes haven't helped anything either! Crows also take baby rabbits.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:26 am 
Diamond Grade

jugchoke wrote:
Rabbits are cyclic guys! Bunnies that is.They come and go from year to year. Just last year, I was "run over" with rabbits here. This year, almost none! That has happened 5/6 times, while I have lived here for the last 15 years.

When they get thick for a year or two, they die off big time, then come back in a year or two again.

I have seen that for 60 plus years.

Actually, Jack rabbits used to be that way as well, back home in NE. where I grew up. But along about the 1960's they did just disappear and haven't come back since that time.

And yes, the hawks, owls, 'coons, skunks and coyotes haven't helped anything either! Crows also take baby rabbits.

So very true... SE Arizona has some great Rabbit Hunting I posted the 14 rabbits (below)... I shot these is the same square mile... But now, I can only get about 3 per hunt here... About a 1 1/2 years ago this area was plauged with cottontails... Now its just descent rabbit hunting...

Now I just need to find the area that has the overpopulation...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:51 am 
Tournament Grade

Depends where you go. Some roads around here, I can't drive 2 miles without unintentionally splattering one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Like jugchoke said they are cyclic, usually run in a 9 to 10 year cycle. I too have been huntin' them for many years.

Some days they stay hid or underground and other days you can't drive them to the hole. Yesterday was one of those days for a friend and I, we got 5 each in about 4.5 hours. That's the limit here!

Here's some pics from last year same place.

And same place two years ago!

~HF~

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:54 am 
Crown Grade

if you start reading about rabbit hunting alot you will find most every source says its not like it used to be. They say the rabbits are still there but because of so many birds of prey and coyote they hunker down in the thick stuff more then ever before and only come out at night. their populations also suffer from clean farming and disease.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:08 am 
Tournament Grade

Well as I said I've been after em for over forty years. I can remember back in the 60s the rabbits did all of those things you mentioned SR.

I guess I've adapted myself somewhat and overcame because I always seem to find some bunnies! Yeah yer right keep after em!!

~HF~

Post subject: Re: Rabbit Population
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you want my opinion, it's not really predators that are killing off the rabbits, it's the use of so many farm chemicals. Think about it, there were still a ton of rabbits in the early 70's before a lot of this crap started getting sprayed everywhere. The more chemicals were used the fewer rabbits, quail, pheasants, etc there seem to be.

And anybody that thinks the Illinois DNR introduced coyotes into Illinois to control the rabbit population needs their head examined. The coyote got into Illinois through being trapped out west and released there by fox hunting clubs. A lot of the fox clubs would go out west to run their dogs on coyote every year. They started live trapping them and bringing them in during the late 50's. This went on all through the midwest and now they're everywhere, the state had nothing to do with it.