CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning A-5
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:39 pm 
Field Grade

I just inherited a Browning A-5, 2 3/4" chamber, non-vent rib. On the barrel, it says "Browning Arms St. Louis, Missouri." I took it to the gunsmith who tore it down and serviced and cleaned it. He test fired it. He said that mechanically, it's in perfect condition. The finish on the wood on the stock is marred a bit probably since it's been stored in an attic for some time and subject to pretty wide temperature swings.

Since the serial number didn't match up with what's on Browning's website (it's B23***), I called Browning who said that it is an "American Browning," manufactured by Remington under license from Browning Arms. He suggested calling Remington because Browning didn't keep up with Remington manufactured guns. The Browning website indicated that Remington made Browning A-5's during the war years 1940-46.

The Remington guy said that his information indicated the gun was manufactured in 1906. I asked him to repeat that several times and that was his consistent answer.

Couple of questions. Is this date right (is Remington confused)? I haven't had the opportunity of firing this gun. What's the recoil like on this type gun?

Thanks for any info.

Post subject: re: Browning A-5
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Is it a Rem. Model 11? I thought they started making the browning...only the browning in 1906. You sure that's what they weren't saying, introduced in 1906?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:02 pm 
Field Grade

The Remington guy mentioned something about a Remington Model 11, but I told him again that this is clearly marked "Browning Trade Mark" with the picture of John Browning in the middle. I repeated that to him and the serial number several times and he told me again several times that 1906 was the year of manufacture and that Remington started making them in 1905. Maybe there was a semantic problem, but I don't think so.

Additionally, the serial number on this gun is "B" + 5 digits. According to the Browning website, the serial numbers during the "Remington years" of 1940-1946 run from 229,000 - 237,000.

Anyway, that's the story I got.

Regards and thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well volgunner, if serial # is on left side of receiver, you are the proud owner of an American made browning. Remington made these for Browning when plant was bombed in WW11. B denotes twelve guage. A long life well built model eleven remington that will give you a lifetime of shooting, then your son can pass it to your grandkids. Browning springs and recoil pieces will interchange, but thats all. Info on friction set up for light and heavy loads is in browning section.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:23 pm 
Crown Grade

When Belgium was cut off from the US by the Nazi occupation at the beginning of WW2 (1939) Browning cut a deal to make guns under the Browning name to sell until FN could get back into production. (which turned out to be in 1947, but nobody knew that in 1939)

These guns are called American Brownings, they were basically Remington Model 11's with a magazine cut off added.

You can't be sure certain which year it was made but it was between '40 and '47, and with a 5 digit number was probably early in the run.

Don't worry about the factory information on early serial numbers, they are just plain wrong. Both Remington and Browning are about as helpful as a rubber crutch in a polio ward when it comes to this stuff....

So it is not an Auto-5, but it is made under the same patents. Remington did a fine job of making them. They are good dependable guns. Enjoy owning and shooting it.

Jeff

Post subject: Re: Browning A-5
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:32 pm 
Field Grade

Look on the right side of the barrel and see if you see two letters, first one repesents the month the gun was made and the secound the year, my 20ga. Remington/Browning barrel is marked "DK" and was made Sept. 1941. Look in the back of the Blue Book for the Remington date codes or do a search on the net. Make sure your barrel has matching serial number (# located by the barrel ring) to your gun or the date would only be correct for the barrel.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:34 pm 
Limited Edition

paul s wrote:
Look on the right side of the barrel and see if you see two letters, first one repesents the month the gun was made and the secound the year, my 20ga. Remington/Browning barrel is marked "DK" and was made Sept. 1941. Look in the back of the Blue Book for the Remington date codes or do a search on the net. Make sure your barrel has matching serial number (# located by the barrel ring) to your gun or the date would only be correct for the barrel.

UUUUMMMM this thread is over three years old.

just sayin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yet seems to be relevent and timely...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=226161&p=1888646

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response
Embrace your wear marks. - 870Pilot