CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alcan powder identification?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:48 pm 
Utility Grade

I have some of this Alcan powder, can anyone tell me what type it is? Pictures of the can are located at:

http://home.fuse.net/pwallpe_0712/Pictures/Picture.jpg

Post subject: re: Alcan powder identification?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:48 pm 

alcan -120????????? Got to be more info on the can someplace! I suggest you sprinkle it in the flower bed or veggie garden, but not in the tomato patch. The high levels of nitrogen will give a lot of leaves and stalks but little fruit.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:21 pm 
Utility Grade

Nope, the other 2 sides are duplicates of what you see in the picture. I'm sure I can work up a load using the data on the can but I would like to make sure of what I'm playing with.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:59 am 
Presentation Grade

When I was younger I used a lot of Alcan powder.

Still have some Alcan 7 left. My buddy sits on a can of Alcan 8 for some reason. Mostly because there was some steel data for it at one time.

But Alcan 120? The only data I have (back to 1982) seems to indicate that is of the same density and composition as VIHTAVUORI's N 310.

This is all I can offer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:50 pm 

I went back to my 1969 Lyman manual and that was the closest thing I could find at similar loadings. I cannot think of a safe reason to try to use an unknown powder with modern components, unless it is to help out an enemy with gun modifications. I strongly suggest the fertilizer plan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:32 pm 
Crown Grade

It has been a long time since I have seen any Alcan around. I think the last stuff I had was some Nike I used to load slugs. The rest of it went into the rose garden many years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:48 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't know if I'd trust this enough to make a 100% positive ID, but I can help you with the powder appearances:

AL-5 -- Tiny dark black diamond flakes with a few larger white diamonds

AL-7 -- Same dark small black flakes as AL-5 but with NO larger flakes

AL-8 -- All large, shiny gray diamond-shaped flakes

AL-120 -- Looks like gray miniature doughnuts with a few large tan diamond flakes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:36 am 
Crown Grade

Just for kicks and refference

Nike = square purple flakes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Gentlemen; I have the needed information, but may need some help translating some of it. I haven't loaded Alcan 120 for 40 some years.

From MEC "Close Approximation Sheet" that came with my Junior when it was one of the newest loading machines available: 12 gauge

32 Bushing, Alcan 120, 3 dram load 1 1/8 oz 19.1 grains 2 3/4 hull Hi Base Wad Column "PU" or

36 Bushing, Alcan 120, 2 3/4 Dram in 1 1/8 oz load at 21.8 grains 2 3/4" hull 3/8 wad Col High Base or 3/4 wad base in low base

:D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:48 am 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
I would suggest you hang on to that can. Is it unopened? It could have considerable collector value.

Post subject: Re: Alcan powder identification?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:02 pm 
Utility Grade

I know it's been 5 years but I finally got back to this. (I now have a five year old son, thus the big gap) Based on a picture of a "vintage" can I found online I believe this is very early Alcan AL-101. Does anyone have any information on it or even know what it looks like? I know, it's old and makes great fertilizer but it has not deteriorated and I have 27 250 gram cans of it, or around 15 pounds and considering the price of powder I would like to use it. Aside from the 12Ga. loads on the can I would like to use it in 16Ga. and maybe .45ACP. I do have the Lyman shotshell first edition, Speer No. 6 and the Alcan catalog from 1956 but no dice. Anybody got anything older? Any information would be helpful.

Post subject: Re: Alcan powder identification?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:38 pm 

If you want to use it, you can run a test in your 45, use a bullseye recipe and see how it performs. If the bullet barely leaves the barrel, then you know that it is slower burning than bullseye.
Or you can load up 5 as if the powder is Red Dot and send them of to Tom Armbrust to get the ballistics done on that load. With that amount of powder, it is worth doing some testing.
You sound kinda iffy on the actual name of the powder, I did find some data on the AL-101 in 16 gauge and 20 gauge in an old P.O. Ackley book from 1977. But they are all with nitro wads.. If you used plastic wads you would have to adjust down about 10%.
But it also looks to be not real dissimilar to RedDot, because it is a bit faster than GreenDot, so you could make up a load as if it is Red Dot and send it off to Armbrust. You will be able to tell where to go from there.
From what I can determine that powder you might have is the fastest of all the Alcan Powders.

Burnt Powder may have some newer Alcan Data for you, drop him a line.
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&action=quotepost&p=2803970