CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Superposed 20 Ga
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

Can someone give me some advice on gun value before I committ to a purchase?

I have found two browning 20 ga superposed for sale:

1. 1959 20 ga superposed IC/M 261/2" round knob, long tang,grade 1. The gun is in real nicel condition, metal 95%, wood 95%, action is tight, lever a little right of centre, LOP 141/4" to factory buttplate.
The wood is highly figured and the fit and finish is superb; the only problem is, it is too good. No ser # on stock under the tang. It appears factory as the checkering is exactly like a 12 ga I have. If this not the original wood I would sure appreciate some advice on value before I purcgase it. They're asking $2000. Should I just pass on this as it would not be collectible?

2. 1964 20 ga. superposed, cased two barrel set S/S and F/M
261/2" and 28", round knob long tang. Gun is in real nice condition also. metal 95% and wood 95%. action is tight, lever a little right of centre. The only problem is LOP 14" to a non Browning Pad. I could install a browning Pad but I think factory LOP is 141/4" to buttplate or Factory pad. They're asking $3200. I would sure appreciate some advice on this one too.

Post subject: re: Browning Superposed 20 Ga
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:59 am 
Need pictures plain and simple.
1. Field grade guns had plain wood. Where was the serial #? Run your finger over the barrel markings. Can you feel an edge or is it smooth. that is an indication of refinishing. Did you ask if refinished? Anyway a gun in 95% condition is not collectable but a nice shooter. NIB or Mint is collectable.
2. Factory is always 14&1/4" to a buttplate unless Magnum 12 gauge, Skeet or ordered that way. You could have a buttplate installed but you will lose some LOP due to butt plate being curved where pad is straight.
I assume chokes listed are what is marked on barrel flats. You must have constrictions measured to assure yourself the F/M are not opened up. I don't think anyone woudl open Skeet but measure anyway. With Brownings you sometimes can get away with a bore gauge that slips in the bore because Browning chambers are usually on the tight end of the specifications. Also chamber depth to assure not rechambered to 3" and I assume both are 2&3/4" marked guns. Otherwise you are playing in the dark. Again this is a very nice shooter but not collectable.
What do you intend to use either gun for? If your purchasing for resale or long term investment purchase as I said, It costs more but you can always sell NIB or Mint original unaltered guns.
Hope this helps but pictures sure would be nice.-Dick

Post subject: re: Browning Superposed 20 Ga
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

Dick:

Thank You for the reply; good sound advise and information.
As tempting as those guns are, I will wait for the correct ones.
Yes, they are easier to buy than to sell if they are not mint and original.
Much appreciated: Rod