CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning "twelvette"
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:31 am 
Utility Grade

I was recently given a Browning 12 gauge, 2 shot semi-auto shotgun. It is marked "twelette" on the receiver. It is in very good condition, say 95%. It has some minor scrollwork on the receiver and gold trigger. The bottom of the receiver has the numbers 289 and 6A51. The barrel reads: made in Belgium, Browning arms co St Louis, MO., and has the ser # 78873, as well as many other markings: 014, f_, *K, PV, E over LG surrounded by an oval and topped with a crown, 12-70 surrounded by an oval. It also has a vent rib. I am curious as to date of manufacture, current value, and your opinion of the gun. Many thanks for your reply........ I enjoy this forum immensely.

Post subject: re: Browning "twelvette"
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:56 am 
Crown Grade

I can't pin point the year, but 67,000 Twelvette Double Auto's were made sometime between 1952-71. Value at 98% is $700 for the vent rib model. However, this gun has a hiduminum frame and the color of this frame affects the value of the gun. Add 20-25% for brown or gold colored receiver and if it is a maroon red or royal blue, add 50%.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:50 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

The marks on your barrel are both factory inspection/inventory marks and Belgium proof marks. Here is what some of them mean:

E over LG - This is the final proof mark for the proof house in Liege,Belgium.

12-70 inside of a figure - The figure that sometimes looks like an oval is actually the Greek letter Omega. The 12 designates that the barrel is a 12 bore and the 70 designates that the barrel has 70mm chambers (2 3/4 inch).

PV - This shows us that the barrel was voluntary proofed for smokless powder.

* - If the barrel has a single astrick on it, this was Browning's house mark for a full choked barrel.

Albany Gun pointed out a curious feature of the Double Autos that had aluminum (hiduminum) frames. The rarest colors have started to become collectable. As he mentioned, Maroon,Brown and Gold receivers might bring a premium, if in mint condition. The Forest Green with gold washed engraving is about the rarest. Bye the way, the gold wash wore off quite easily and a mint gun is hard to come by. Also, Buck barrels were few and far in between.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:02 pm 
Utility Grade

ok....... unless I am colorblind (could be) the receiver is black or perhaps a very dark navy blue. The engraving is about 80% still gold. Still no idea about manuf. date? Still feel good about the value? Love the gun...extremely light and swings well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:14 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

There were two blacks on Twelvettes. They were Jet Black (very shiney) and Dragon Black (showed a bit of a blue hue). Just guesing that you have a Dragon Black gun.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:31 pm 
Utility Grade

My father bought one about 1959. I don't have it right here to look at it. It has the vented rib and gold scrowl work. It is a modified choke. My dad purchased it because due to an old gymnastics injury he need a light weight shotgun that did not have a lot of kick. It was the first shotgun I used with regularity. My son now has it and I borrow it when I need it.

Over the years the gun has marveled many. Both my son and I have been offered a premium for it. It is the fastest shotgun to bring up to shoulder I have ever used. Even after severe shoulder surgery a year ago I was able to use it in December for pheasants and beat to shoulder and shoot, a fellow that was 25 years younger. It is an ideal grouse and wood cock gun.

You have a real gem and a good addition to any hunters array of shotguns. Cherish it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:15 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
the gun in question is a 1966 12vette.
black receivers were the only ones with gold wash in the engraving. the colored guns were left in the white.
hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:00 pm 
Utility Grade

The Browning DA is one of my most treasured guns in my collection. My grandfather purchased in the late 50's; I shot my first dove with it in 1976 and 33 years later it still works perfectly. Looking foward to giving it to my daughter when shes old enough.