CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Review of the Mossberg 930
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would like to submit the following review of the Mossberg 930.

I am by no means a writer, so my apologies to those of you that make a living at it.

I would like to share my experiences with this shotgun with you. I would like to give a little bit of background about myself, I have been shooting and hunting regularly for over 30 years. The other shotguns I currently own are: a ‘60’s vintage Belgian-made Browning A-5 (30” barrel,12 GA), an Ithaca model 37 (30” barrel,12 GA), a Remington 870 Wingmaster (28” barrel, 20 GA), an “old” Ithaca SxS with a cracked stock (currently a “wall-hanger”), a camo Mossberg 535 (26” barrel, 12 GA), as well as a couple of rifles and pistols to round out the safe. As you may note from the contents of my safe, I am not so “brand-loyal blind" that I can’t make a rational comparison just because it doesn’t have (insert your BRAND NAME here) stamped on the receiver.

Late spring / early summer of this past year (2006) I decided that I wanted to get a new shotgun, thus began my search for a new shotgun. The first decision was budgetary, I didn’t want to spend more that $1200 for a new gun. Then I had to decide “Do I want a pump or an autoloader?” “Do I want 3” or 3-1/2” chambering?” Well, the answer to the first question was easy, I already have two, the Ithaca M37 and the Mossberg 535. The M37 has been used so much that the internal parts are polished like glass (I don’t think there is a smoother pump action out there) and the 535 covers the 3-1/2” shells if I feel like I need to be tortured. I bought the 535 a couple of years ago so that I could have a 3-1/2” gun, I have since come to the conclusion that nobody needs a 3-1/2” gun and that there must be some sadist out there somewhere really enjoying himself whenever anybody shoots a 3-1/2” shell. So I guess by now you’ve figured out the answer to the second question….

My search for a 2-3/4” – 3” autoloader began, I found shotgunworld.com and began researching, I researched & researched, I bugged everybody at the club where I shoot, I generally made a nuisance of myself everywhere I went. I narrowed my searches and choices down to the following: 1) the Remington 105CTI, I was never able to find one before I bought mine (from the few reviews I have seen, I’m kind of glad) 2) the Berretta 390 (now the 3901), and 3) The Mossberg 930. I know that you may think that these guns are not in the same class but I am going to have to beg to differ and I offer the following review.

My final choice was based upon 1) reliability, 2) performance, and 3) price.

Reliability: I searched here as well as other sites and I found far more issues with the Berettas than I did the Mossberg 930, in fact I could find very few negative comments on the 930 at all. The 105CTI wasn’t released prior to me buying, so I can’t comment.

Performance: The Berretta, I thought, had the clear advantage until I started comparing apples to apples, both the 390 and the 930 will handle 2-3/4, 1 oz loads, the 105CTI, based on information provided by Remington, will not. The gas system on the 930 is very similar to the Berretta, I guess you can say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Price: Well needless to say, the 930 won this without trouble, for what I would have had to pay for the Beretta, I could have almost bought two 930’s, three if you use the MSRP of the 105CTI.

I made my decision and went to my store, they had two 930’s in stock, 1 in black, and 1 in camo, of course the one I wanted (28” barrel, in walnut) had to be ordered. It took about two weeks longer than Dick’s said it would to come in, but it was worth the wait. The wood has a nice satin finish and has a very nice grain. I took it home and gave it a good cleaning, there was a lot of the “manufacturing” grease that I cleaned out and gave it a good lube. I took it out to the club and gave it a good workout, I found that it pointed really well and is well balanced for me, I didn’t need to use any of the stock shims that were provided with the gun. I am 5’10” and about 190 pounds (give or take) so I’m probably in the “80%” that this gun was designed to fit.

I have owned the gun for over two month now; between my father-in-law (he gets to shoot her when I’m at work) and I, we have put over 3,500 rounds through the gun. I clean the gun regularly (not fanatically) and I have not had a single mis-fire, mis-feed, or failure to eject. It has fired everything put into it, from 3” magnum turkey rounds to 2-3/4”, 7/8 oz target loads.

The gun has been used for ducks and clays (arrived too late for turkey season). I have taken it to the club and passed her around, one of the instructors shot a “25” with it, so at least I know it CAN be done (I can’t use the gun as a excuse now). The gun has converted a few people at the club and they cannot believe how well the gun performs. I have shot a number of Berrettas, Brownings, Winchesters, and Remingtons, are they nice guns, ABSOLUTELY!!! Are they “twice the price” nice…..well I can honestly say, not for my money.

If you’re in the market for a really good autoloading shotgun, regardless of the price, you owe it to yourself to check out the 930, I’m completely satisfied with mine.

BTW, Randy, thanks for the push...

Post subject: re: Review of the Mossberg 930
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:28 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

That's 3500 rounds more than I've put through one. 8)

Street price runs about $410, is that correct?

What advantage does the cocking indicator at the front of the trigger guard give you?

Is the tang safety metal? Trigger guard?

How would you characterize the trigger and the recoil?

Sounds like you are a happy camper.

Post subject: Re: re: Review of the Mossberg 930
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:
That's 3500 rounds more than I've put through one. 8)

Street price runs about $410, is that correct?

Mine was a little over $400, out the door, the store was running a sale on the two they had left and gave me the same price for the special order (as long as I paid up front). The store has a black one at $429 right now...might be able to talk them down though...

Quote:
What advantage does the cocking indicator at the front of the trigger guard give you?

I personally don't use it, so I haven't really noticed it. It's not in the way, though. The way it was explained to me was, it gives you a tactile indication that you're ready to fire, as in, if you've fired your last shell or not, without having to look... in my opinion, if I don't know how many shots I have taken or have left, I shouldn't be hunting. I guess if I were hunting somewhere where there are more ducks than ammo, it might be helpful...but alas, those places only exist in my dreams.

Quote:
Is the tang safety metal? Trigger guard?

The safety switch and the trigger guard are plastic, as they are on most Mossberg's, I hear a lot of negative comments about them, but I've never heard of them breaking...That's probably one of the many reasons their running around $400, save a buck here and .50 there.

CORRECTION: The safety switch is plastic, but the entire trigger group, including the trigger guard is aluminum.

Quote:
How would you characterize the trigger and the recoil?

The recoil is very good, shooting similar loads, it is softer than my A-5, granted, its not as soft as an Extrema2, but even with the 3" magnum turkey loads its not bad. It's nothing compared to the pumps. The trigger isn't bad, it's about 4-1/2 - 5 pounds using a fish scale, it's breaks crisp and there isn't any creep. That being said, it's no "rifle" trigger and it's no where close to my M37, but that one has had 40+ years of breaking in.

Quote:
Sounds like you are a happy camper.

I'm very pleased, I think Mossberg did their homework on this one and "got it right". I don't see them advertising it at all, though...but come to think of it, I don't see them advertising much of anything...

Smitty

Last edited by Smitty in CT on Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:29 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

When a full page ad in one issue of the American Hunter can cost $40,000 -$50,000 a pop, small wonder that utilitarian models cannot support a great deal of that. It takes of lot of cash just to be in existence with full-color catalogs and a reasonable presence at just a few of the many industry trade shows-- a whole pile of cash. The source of that money can only be one place: the consumer. That's neither good or bad, just the way it is. Watching Superbowl ads is a good way to see who thinks they have a lot of money to burn up.

It wasn't that way at all, not so long ago. Pre-Internet, Pre-cable, pre-DVD, pre-VCR was the way I grew up. Everyone seemed to hunt, it was a 'gimme' that most every household had a 12 ga. pump-gun, a .22, and a .30-30 or a .30-06 whether active hunter or not. It was black and white television and a time of "utility" more than fashion. "Tennis, anyone?" was a joke, golf was considered a sport of spoiled brats, and baseball was the game everyone played. Real shotguns were Model 12's and A-5's, with a few Rem. Model 11's and Win. '97's around. There were no credit cards, buying "on time" was shameful. The only way something got from point 'A' to 'B' was to put a stamp on it. What you knew, you learned from Dad and Grandpa (or from a visit to Hank's Gun Shop)-- only the most curious of folks knew of Oberfell, or were familiar with Greener or Burrard. That was the late 1960's and early 1970's. Pheasant hunting was "no dog required." In fact, using a dog for pheasants was considered cheating when I grew up, something taken up only be those too lazy to give their legs a good stretch.

Like golf, fishing, baseball, football, anything that has a following today, the reasons for a shotgun are no longer just tools. Along with that comes style, marketing, a fascination with what competitive shooter may or may not be using, all the usual trappings that are used to market everything from George Foreman grills to 'Air Jordan' gym shoes.

At one time, Bob Nichols reported the shooters at the National Skeet Championships consisted of 67.1 % autoloaders, 18.1 % pumpguns, 10.6 % SxS, and 4.2 % O/U'ers. Can you guess the year?

The point is not a big one, it is just that what is loudly touted is not always what makes the most sense, or what is really the most practical tool. Most like variety, and the new stuff is always interesting. What is not making the color ads or hunting shows may be just as good, if not better than the more flamboyant 'new' in a strictly practical sense. Your 930 may just be a great example of that. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:28 am 
Tournament Grade

Great Review Smitty!! I too enjoy shooting my 930, it has been nothing but flawless for me and I reccomend it to anyone wanting a reasonably priced autoloader!! I have more of a Waterfowling background and use mine solely for that purpose. Here is a Review I did about 2 months ago on my 930. Enjoy

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... highlight=

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:28 am 
Diamond Grade

Same here. I really like my 930. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:02 am 
Presentation Grade

It seems like that was quite a bit of good press for the 930. I have only ever owned 1 Mossberg gun, and it's a semi auto .22 rifle. It's a really nice gun for the amount ($92!!) that I paid for it. I've been thinking about getting a semi, and maybe this is the way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm over 4,000 rounds and have not had a problem yet. I can't find anything wrong withthis shotgun.

Smitty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:46 am 
Utility Grade

Great Review!

Does this gun fire buckshot without difficulty? How is it to clean?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have shot 00 and 0 buck with no problems, I keep Federal Power Shok Reduced Recoil loaded in the gun for security purposes.

I have close to 7,000 rounds through the gun and have yet to have a malfunction. I used to clean it every 500 rounds but that was getting to be a pain so I'm going at least 1,000 round between cleanings and still no problems.

The gun is very easy to clean, the gas piston comes off with the barrel and just pops off to clean, the gas ports are easily accessable, this is by far the easiest autoloader that I have ever had to clean.

Smitty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Smitty,

I have seen your posts and know your affection for this gun. I have been looking at a 935 instead of the 930 because I have several 2 3/4" autoloaders and several 3" pumps, so the obvious void is... 3" to 3 1/2" autoloader :D {F* I just need to quit buying other stuff like cordwood and the like :lol: The 935 seems to be just about as good as the 930 when used with proper ammo.

Great review

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:07 pm 

Nice review. Seems like Mossberg might have really got it going this time with that autoloader.
Keep us updated over the long haul. Sounds like this beast can really take a pounding.

Amassing a stockpile of shotshells

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Does anyone have a picture of the 930 tactical model? From what Smitty posted on another forum it has an extended magazine and ghost ring sights.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nice review Smitty in CT...

It sure sounds like that 930 is treating you alright.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From The High Road forum, from a 930 owner (oldnamvet):

"When I shot 3" magnums in mine, it would eject the shell but not feed another into the chamber. It would shut on an empty chamber. It did not do this with the 2.75" shells. It also seemed to be prone to light firing pin strikes and I would have about 1 FTF every 50 to 75 rounds. I sent it to the Mossberg service center and received it back after 8 weeks and several emails/phone calls. I haven't tried 3" magnum shells yet and don't particularly care since I don't normally use them. A friend got the wrong shells and couldn't use them in his gun so we swapped so he could hunt that day. However, the FTF problem showed up again with weak firing pin strikes. Other than that, I like the gun. It fits well and looks fairly good too. I went to the effort of fitting the stock to myself so will keep it and eventually figure out the weak firing pin hits."

My comment: This is the first time I have heard a negative comment on the 930.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I called Mossberg about the tactical model 930. They said they did not have any model like that in the works. They said the security model was it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I saw the 930 SPX at the NRA show in MO, the people at the booth said it would be shipping at the beginning of this summer.

Mossberg service is handled by Maverick in TX, the 930's are built in North Haven, CT, maybe the people in Texas don't know about it yet???

Smitty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the info Smitty. I called the 1-800 number in the morning and got told no plans to make one; I wanted to confirm an email I got from them. I called the non toll free number a couple of hours later and got the same answer.

I sent an email and they answered it yesterday and they said it should be at the distributors or dealer. Many different answers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Smitty nailed it! I emailed Mossberg and asked about the 930SPX that was displayed at the NRA show, per Smitty.

This is the latest I got back from Mossberg:

"Thank you for your e-mail. Yes, it does exist and it will be out in the market in about 3-4 months....."

So, give it a while and a tactical 930 should be coming out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

My 930 shoots 2 3/4 dram target loads, 2.75 and 3" duck loads without a hitch.

The ducks hate it though.... :wink: