ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cop-Killer Bullets (Myth)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Interesting article on Wikipedia:

In the 1960s Dr. Paul Kopsch (an Ohio coroner), Daniel Turcos (a police sergeant) and Donald Ward (Dr. Kopsch's special investigator), began experimenting with special purpose handgun ammunition. Their objective was to develop a law enforcement round capable of improved penetration against hard targets, such as windshield glass and automobile doors. Conventional bullets, made primarily from lead, often become deformed and ineffective after striking hard targets, especially when fired at handgun velocities.

After some experimentation with steel rounds, the officers settled on a brass core with a 'lubricating' jacket of Teflon. Although a myth persists that the Teflon is there to either penetrate "bullet-proof" vests more effectively, or protect the bore of the firearm that fires it, Dr. Kopsch himself has testified that the Teflon actually reduces these bullets' penetration in Kevlar, and is only there to reduce the likelihood of ricochets. (Kopsch, Turcus, & Ward struck upon the idea of the Teflon coating after finding out that the manufacturers of canes impregnate the plastic tips of their canes with a Teflon compound; under pressure, the Teflon actually helps the bullet to "stick" momentarily, and it is this characteristic that reduces the chances of a ricochet off of the glass or metal surfaces of an automobile). The inventors named the round the 'KTW Bullet,' after their initials.

In 1982, the NBC TV network ran a special on the bullets and argued that the bullets were a threat to police. Gun control organizations in the US labelled Teflon-coated bullets "cop killers", as 'KTW'-derived bullets were often capable of penetrating the Kevlar bullet-resistant vests worn by American police. Due to a popular misconception, possibly caused by the fact that a "Teflon bullet" sounds more remarkable than a "brass bullet," many people believed that the Teflon coating was responsible for the increased penetration, despite it being only a jacket for the brass penetrator. No law enforcement personnel have yet been killed by this type of armor piercing round when wearing appropriate body armor, making the nickname “cop killer” somewhat misleading. In fact, some members of law enforcement community argue that the publicity surrounding the use of body armor by police has encouraged criminals to aim at the head and other body parts unprotected by the armor. The controversy surrounding Teflon-coating can be seen as an episode of moral panic, and yet another source of contention between gun-control and gun-rights activists. These bullets were outlawed for civilian sale that same year through legislation by Rep. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.).

Popular culture
Popular culture has picked up on the exaggerated accounts surrounding KTW ammunition, and references to "teflon coated" or "cop killer" bullets are numerous. In Lethal Weapon 3, Mel Gibson's character uses "cop killer" bullets from a submachine gun to shoot through the thick blade of a bulldozer, while in Ronin, Robert de Niro's character is wounded when a bullet "sprayed...with teflon" penetrates his body armor. In the videogame Syphon Filter 3 the K3G4 submachine gun fires "teflon covered bullets" to penetrate flack jackets according to the in-game data. Enemies using these weapons hurt the player significantly more than normal enemies.

Post subject: re: Cop-Killer Bullets (Myth)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

Some good information here.....might have to add it to the sticky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

I was just watching that " To Catch a Predator" special that Stone Phillips does where they bait in child molestors over the internet. They got a police officer from Alabama to take the bait. (I almost wonder if it wasn't a set up.) He was armed to the teeth with an AR, a shotgun and several handguns. Whatever. The thing that caught my attention was when they made a point of saying that the ammo was "hollow point cop-killer ammunition designed to penetrate bullet proof vests." Hollow points are the opposite of ammo designed to penetrate. They are designed to expand in soft tissue, thereby transferring their energy to the target. Handguns in general, lack the velocity and energy to penetrate ballistic vests, regardless of bullet design. Cop-Killer bullets is a media phrase that they use because the vast majority of people learn about guns from television, movies and video games.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:14 am 
Crown Grade

Any bullet can kill. It can be a homemade cast metal slug or a high tech depleted uranium round. The end result is the same, dead is dead.

Cops, last time I checked, were red blooded humans like the rest of us who put our pants on one leg at a time in the morning.

Some bullets are definately more suited to penetrating armor than others but at handgun velocities and calibers none are really worth a spit, especially when armor plates supplement the kevelar armor (we use plates that'll stop a 30-06 FMJ round).

Give a point to the media for misleading the Americian populace yet again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:06 pm 
Limited Edition

7.62 X 25mm bottle neck ammo, fired in a CZ 52 will penetrate a Kevlar vest. The standard load for this ammo is FMJ because it's a soviet military caliber.

In Eastern Europe, there has been developed a Kevlar vest to stop these bullets. It's called the "CZ Kevlar."

But if you're looking to penetrate a Kevlar vest (not that I am, it's simply that the means are there), any reasonably sized, centerfire, FMJ military rifle ammo will penetrate the vests.

This is no secret.

And nobody is labeling CMP mil-surp ammo in 30-06 Spfd as "cop killer."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:03 pm 
Field Grade

To bad the media would never tell any one this as that would make them wrong (again).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

They never report the many time gun save lives, I just its less intersting or worst the media is with the brady bunch people.

Post subject: Re: Cop-Killer Bullets (Myth)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Luckily, Kennedy’s desire to expand the definition of armor piercing bullets to include “a projectile that may be used in a handgun and that the Attorney General determines, under section 926(d), to be capable of penetrating body armor” failed in spite of Obama’s vote for the amendment.
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/r ... vote=00217

Think about now many high-powered rifle rounds, all of which are "capable of penetrating body armor", “may be used in a handgun”. E.g. Thompson Contender.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

As usual hype superceeds truth...

"You will receive power"
Acts 1:8

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:44 am 
Utility Grade

Just for reference on these KTW cartridges, although the federal law does nothing to prevent people from owning, buying & selling such pistol AP cartridges, there are some states that have restrictions. The federal law is just about commercial importation, commercial manufacture, or a dealer selling to the public, and even then you can still do all those things as long as you have a class 10 and/or 11 FFL. The more restrictive laws are the ones from certain states, which although they are virtually never enforced except against apprehended criminals committing other crimes, they are on the books. The pic below shows the states with certain rules. Unfortunately, KTW does fall under the auspices of several states' anti Teflon-coated bullet laws, but again these are virtually never enforced:

CA, IL, TX, and Wash D.C. have total bans on pistol-AP, while FL, KY, NJ, and RI have almost total bans (only truncated AP projectiles banned in FL & RI - not round nose). The blue states are all Teflon restricted. Nevada is illegal to sell only, and in Louisiana you need a permit from the police. Most of the country is fine though, and even in the restrictive states if you are law enforcement, or if you have a class 10 or 11 FFL, then you can do anything anywhere with such ammo. Here are some pics of KTW ammo, and some other pistol-caliber AP ammo that I collect:

Anybody else collect this ammo? I am always interested!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Defensive weapons are banned in areas so that law abiding citizens are unarmed and criminals can rob, steal, rape and kill. Then the lawyers get to make huge profits defending the perps that commit crimes. EXAMPLE: 2 lawyers got 20 million dollars defending the DC snipers. States and municipalities should reward citizens for offing, gun wielding perps. Only then crime will be non existent. OH sorry, cops would be out of work.... .. sorry I wrote this...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The FN 5.7x28 round will penetrate most body armor and is available in the FN five-seven. It is suppose to be the scientific solution to body armor. But many pistol rounds can penetrate some lower quality vests, 22 mag, 9mm parabellum, ect.

If you like the 28ga look at the new 28ga socity forum. SGW does not like f o r u m e r direct links, so copy and paste the link below and retype it to read f o r u m e r instead of furum without the spaces.
28gasociety.furum.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:44 am 
Utility Grade

hey,

After reading the article about cop-killer bullets and also the controversy i found both very interesting, i found that in past time cop-killer bullets was really a big threat for the police and i also saw some images of these bullets they are in gold color and black they lokks very dangerous ......

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:36 am 
Utility Grade

I want to say press release is the best medium for promoting a new business or any news or products launched by a company or firm.It is a great medium of getting the traffic on a website.If i forget some points about press release please share your views.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:14 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm a Canadian, and armour piercing bullets are fine, as long as it's not for a pistol cartridge. technically since 5.56 NATO is a rifle cartridge, you can put them in an AR pistol, but most ranges won't let you fire steel core or armour piercing, I think for safety reasons. So you can have them, but where you fire them is restricted depending on the rifle used and its application.

Don't know if any Canadians frequent this site but I hope this is helpful information