ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who, or what, is causing all of the misery and trouble
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:14 am 
Crown Grade

Who, or what, is causing all of the misery and trouble that the world has known throughout history? Could it be the devil? Do you believe there is a devil?
Do you believe there is a spiritual war going on in the universe?

Quote:
“For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” (Ephesians 6:12)

What, there are spiritual forces of evil in the universe? And that is where our fight is? That is pretty weird. Materialist only see flesh and blood.

Quote:
Revelation 12
7 And there was war in heaven, Michael and his angels waging war with the dragon. The dragon and his angels waged war, 8 and they were not strong enough, and there was no longer a place found for them in heaven. 9 And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

Was the earth selected as a spiritual war zone?

Quote:
1 Peter 5:8
Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

It looks like the human race is in big trouble.

Post subject: Re: Who, or what, is causing all of the misery and trouble
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:31 am 
Crown Grade

Satan’s place in the scheme of things is a complicated subject. The Bible, in various places, does explain much about Satan, and how he is the source of evil.

Satan originated as a God created spectacular angel who appears to have been the head angel. He sinned and rebelled against God and was cast out of heaven. He took 1/3 of the angels with him.
Ezekiel 28: 11-19, Isaiah 14: 12-17, Revelation 12: 3-9

Jesus called Satan the ruler of this world.

Quote:
John 12:31
[Jesus] Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.

John 16:1
[Jesus] and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.

John 14:30
[Jesus] I will not speak much more with you, for the ruler of the world is coming, and he has nothing in Me;

Jesus also said this about Satan—

Quote:
John 8
43[Jesus] Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

The Bible makes clear that the devil and his demons are behind evil and the spiritual war. I believe the most destructive thing he does is this—

Quote:
2 Corinthians 4:4
in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:12 am 
Crown Grade

Who can stand against the spiritual forces of evil?
Quote:
1 John 3:8
the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.

Why Christians can overcome.
Quote:
1 John 4:4
You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.

If you are spiritually born of God and indwelled with the Holy Spirt, greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world. we can overcome if we rely on the power of God, and I believe that is the only way.

In the spiritual war we need armor; the armor of God
Quote:
Ephesians 6:10-18
10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might.

11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.

12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.

13 Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.

14 Stand firm therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,

15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16 in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It’s been over half a century now, but I was so privileged to learn the most beautiful story ever told first, from my beautiful angel mother, as she’d read me the words of our Savior as I sat on the floor in front of her.

No doubt there are still good Christian mothers who are bringing up their children, in that same way, as they have now for two millennia.

Matthew 25:40 is the mainstay of a young child’s Christian education, but my mother never once neglected to hammer home to me of the terrible eternal price of choosing to follow those dark angels that tempt every soul, to mock the poor and scorn the needy, and turn a deaf ear to the wail of the widow and cries of the orphan.

For immediately after Matthew 25:40, Mama would read the fate of the souls that do not believe in the message of Christ:

Matthew 25:40-41
New International Version

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.”

Then likely as not she’d get out her guitar, and finish the lesson with an old Christian Church standard:

THE GREAT JUDGEMENT MORNING

Louvin Brothers version

https://youtu.be/G0O2t1mW65o

We are all selfish to some extent, and all of us often love that old handsome devil we see each morning in the mirror, more than we love the tramp on the street.

Yet living the Christian life prepares us for that day, when we all will face Christ at Judgement, secure in His promise He will treat us exactly, as we treated the least of His brethren here on earth.

The Devil offers many pleasures in this life, but those that follow Satan, face eternal fire in the next life.

It’s up to us, to choose between heaven and hell.

Choose wisely.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:14 am 
Crown Grade

For those worried about facing Christ at the judgement, I would like to suggest some verses relevant to that concern. There is some very good news.

Quote:
John 3
3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

14 As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; 15 so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life.

16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Romans 8
1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Romans 10
8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,

9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed.

Matthew 11:28
[Jesus]“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Campbellites of a half century ago began a child’s Christian education in the cradle, and babies were always welcome at church services. There was a nursery, where children were sent that couldn’t behave, yet to be sent to the nursery meant missing out on the fun of the services.

My beautiful mother, who had been a singer for years at the J-Bar-H Rodeo, and the daughter of a Campbellte elder and married to another, was not ever considered talented enough to sing a solo at the Humansville Christian Church. The special music at church was utterly fantastic, or else there wasn’t any special music at all.

To become a member of the Humansville Christian Church (unless you were born to it) was exactly the same as we saw on television at the Billy Graham Crusades. At the end of each service there was an altar call, and the sinner would walk down the aisle and be redeemed, by the blood of Our Savior, confess their profession of faith to the congregation, and there would be a proper full immersion baptism service arranged for the next Sunday. You could count on it there was ALWAYS a packed full house and special music for a baptism.

One of the favorites for baptisms was this old standard:

LIFE’S RAILWAY TO HEAVEN

Patsy Cline and Willie Nelson version

We cannot know all the mysteries of the words of our Savior, in this life here in this old sin cussed world below. I brought a good Baptist boy with me to church services when I was in college and he said about the only difference he could see between Baptist services and ours was we took communion every Sunday and every young girl in our church looked like she’d won a beauty pageant and the music and sermon was just incredibly good.

He laughed a little, and said to me and my mother,,,

“And I was expecting it to be some kind, of cult.”

My mother smiled at me, and we knew the elders, were still conducting well regulated Christian services at the Humansville Christian Church.

Satan has his own church, where the tempter’s snare is always well baited.

SATAN’S JEWELED CROWN

Louvin Brothers version

It’s up to us, which church to join.

And either to become a Disciple of Christ,

Or worship that old handsome devil we see each morning in the mirror.

Chose wisely.

Your eternal soul is at stake.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:54 pm 
Crown Grade

James 4:7
Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Only God knows the heart, but Jesus gives this advise—

Quote:
Matthew 7
15 “Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? 17 So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit.

What a man does and what a man supports speaks louder than what he says.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

chucka wrote:
Only God knows the heart, but Jesus gives this advise—

Quote:
Matthew 7
15 “Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? 17 So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit.

What a man does and what a man supports speaks louder than what he says.

Those that make a business of counting such numbers claim that in the United States alone there are over 30,000 separate Christian sects, or denominations, and of those about 10,000 different Christian denominations are located within the Ozarks region of Southwest Missouri.

That seems incredible, but I’ve heard similar numbers all of my life.

They is a whole lot of bunch of different Christians, as the little boy said.:)

And if they all agreed on the essentials of Christianity, there would only be one kind of Christians, those that follow in the paths of that first church that had to have began on Friday, April 3, 33 AD.

When our Savior cried out

Father forgive them, for they know not what they do,

And his earthly human body died on the Cross of Calvary,,,,

There at the Foot of the Cross was the First Christian Church.

They had no scriptures to read, no creeds to memorize, no dogma to follow, and if they didn’t get Christ’s dead body buried before sunset they would be in violation of the Jewish sabbath and would all join Christ in death if they buried his body during the Sabbath.

The disciples and Mary Magdeline and Mary the mother of Christ spoke Aramaic.

Yet three hundred years later when the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were canonized by the Holy Roman Catholic Church all the extant copies were written in Greek.

And written, in the third person, not one author claiming that he or she watched the nails driven into, His hands and His feet.

The gospel of John speaks of being born again, and the gospel of Matthew describes a judgement before the White Throne.

Over half the New Testament consisted of letters by Paul to various Christian churches, that Paul admits he himself had persecuted when he was named Saul of Tarsus.

What is a Christian, to believe is the correct doctrine about gaining eternal life?

30,000 different denominations can’t all be correct, or can they?

The Christian Church I grew up in believes that each soul has to choose their own path to salvation, and that to best do this requires an excellent secular public education (separate from from religious education) so that the individual is able to read the entire Holy Bible in their own language, and compare and discuss the entire Holy Bible (and never, ever only cherry picked parts that confirm a previous belief) so they will not be susceptible to the dictates of self appointed prophets, saints, priests, preachers, ministers, or anybody on this earth except their own reason.

Those that were born into the Christian Church, cannot join as easily as those who visit.

The chosen and elected elders of a Christian Church are under the supervision of their chosen and elected Superintendent.

Growing up all I had to do to ask the Superintendent of the Humansville Christian Church a question about the Holy Bible was go out to the milk barn and ask Daddy.

He’d always smile and ask me what I believed the right answer was, and based on what reasoning.

As for himself, he never seemed to have an opinion.

But I will venture to say, my father was the best versed Christian I’ve ever met.

And nobody I ever met, put on better services at the church he superintended for nearly twenty years.

Visit a well ran Christian Church, and discover how enjoyable attending church, can be.

WOUNDED SOLDIER
Vincent Family version

The people that run an old time Christian Church are trying to save every soul on earth,

One soul, at a time.

After all, we can’t choose your religion for you.

There, you are strictly on your own.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:57 am 
Crown Grade

The title of this thread asks a simple question but the answers look complicated.

Before I read the posts, I had a one-word answer--Envy. Aka, covetousness. It may be the hardest of all the Commandments to obey.

Thanks for admitting me to this forum. I am not a Biblical scholar, as will be evident from my posts.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Zbigniew wrote:
The title of this thread asks a simple question but the answers look complicated.

Before I read the posts, I had a one-word answer--Envy. Aka, covetousness. It may be the hardest of all the Commandments to obey.

Thanks for admitting me to this forum. I am not a Biblical scholar, as will be evident from my posts.

Thou shall not covet

That was written centuries before Christ was born in Bethlehem

Christ grew up discussing that and all the rest of the commandments, with the teachers that taught Christ, to read

We aren’t told who taught Him to read, but we know Christ could read because of His many references to the Talmud (Jewish law) and that he wrote in the sand.

But if Christ wrote one word on paper, it didn’t survive the three centuries until the Catholics canonized the New Testament beginning in 325 AD.

In every soul on this earth two angels battle within, and the bright angel says be happy with what you have, while the darker angel whispers that other man has what should be yours.

It’s another way to describe selfishness and greed, and the resentment and anger that breeds in the souls of men who fall prey to it.

All of the darker angels, serve the dark master.

SATAN IS REAL
Louvin Brothers version

The Christian serves Christ, who is the Good Shepard, keeping watch over His sheep.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:39 am 
Crown Grade

It must be very tough for a supporter of the Godless extreme leftest democratic party to reconcile that parties evil agenda with Christian values. It can’t be done. No wonder they want nothing to do with looking at what they actually do instead of what they say.

When their Christian sounding rhetoric does not fly the fall back tactic is an attempt to marginalize the Bible and Christianity with erroneous information.

Yes, we need to choose wisely, because the issue gets clearer everyday. It is between light and darkness. In the spiritual war everyone must choose his side.
2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:47 am 
Crown Grade

Welcome Zbigniew. Thanks for participating. I try not to be complicated and I think what is needed is people reading the Bible. It is the only way to stay straight in this world with so many different voices telling people what to believe and what to do. The main messages in the Bible are not that complicated unless some agnostic or atheist makes them so, and there is an abundance of that around. I don’t consider myself a Bible scholar, but a Bible reader and simply Christian.
Quote:
1 Corinthians 1
18 For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

19 For it is written,
“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
And the cleverness of the clever I will set aside.”

20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:29 pm 
Crown Grade

chucka wrote:
Welcome Zbigniew. Thanks for participating. I try not to be complicated and I think what is needed is people reading the Bible. It is the only way to stay straight in this world with so many different voices telling people what to believe and what to do. The main messages in the Bible are not that complicated unless some agnostic or atheist makes them so, and there is an abundance of that around. I don’t consider myself a Bible scholar, but a Bible reader and simply Christian.
Quote:
1 Corinthians 1
18 For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

19 For it is written,

20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

The problem started with sin in the garden, when cast doubt on the certainty of God’s word. Whenever man questions the authority of the word of God he starts down the road from God. Man will believe false lies such as that his good works toward the poor will purchase his salvation. Nothing but the blood of Jesus will redeem man from the curse of sin. Jesus told nicodemus “you must be born again “ 1Peter 1:18-19 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; but with the precious blood of Christ as of a Lamb without blemish and without spit. A blood salvation denying hypocrite will vainly vaunt his good works as his salvation. Grace was purchased and is provided by the cross of Calvary not a humanistic handout.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Turkinator wrote:
chucka wrote:
Quote:
1 Corinthians 1

19 For it is written,

The problem started with sin in the garden, when cast doubt on the certainty of God’s word. Whenever man questions the authority of the word of God he starts down the road from God. Man will believe false lies such as that his good works toward the poor will purchase his salvation. Nothing but the blood of Jesus will redeem man from the curse of sin. Jesus told nicodemus “you must be born again “ 1Peter 1:18-19 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; but with the precious blood of Christ as of a Lamb without blemish and without spit. A blood salvation denying hypocrite will vainly vaunt his good works as his salvation. Grace was purchased and is provided by the cross of Calvary not a humanistic handout.

The first reference to Satan was that he was a beguiling serpent in the Garden of Eden.

Adam really had it made. He was the only man in the world, and you might say he owned the entire world.

But being human, the fellow needed somebody to love, and one morning he woke up and there was Eve smiling at him.

Then Adam goes about his daily adventures but he left Eve alone, and she started talking to a snake.

The Good Lord had told Adam and Eve they could eat of every tree in the garden, except the fruit of reason, where they’d know the difference between good and evil, and right and wrong.

Adam came back and discovered Eve had done the one thing, that could get them both killed.

But she was probably crying about it, and Adam knew that it was either eat that apple and keep his woman, or follow the Lord’s commandment.

It’s not hard to realize that Adam chose to keep Eve. Women have such effects on a man’s reason, especially when they are cornered and in trouble.

It did get them kicked out of the garden, and ever since then Satan and the Lord have been battling over the souls of God’s creation.

But the moral of that story is that we do know the difference now, between right and wrong.

We can choose to follow the Lord,

Or choose to follow Satan, with all the temporary earthly riches and pleasures available in this old sin cussed world.

Straight is the gate, and narrow the way, to eternal life in heaven

But living the Christian life, is the only way to eternal life.
THE CHRISTIAN LIFE
Louvin Brothers version

The devil promises instant fun and pleasures untold

At the cost, of your eternal soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:13 am 
Crown Grade

Turkinator wrote:

That is right according to Genesis.

In Genesis 3, we have a picture of the fall of man given in a simple way that we can understand. What is covered in that simple story is mind boggling, and has far reaching implications.

Turkinator’s point is central to that story. We have the introduction of Satan and him taking mankind into destruction by inciting man into doubting God’s word.

Quote:
Genesis 3
1 Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, “Indeed, has God said, ‘You shall not eat from any tree of the garden’?”

2 The woman said to the serpent, “From the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat; 3 but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.’”

The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die!

5 For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.

Notice in Genesis that it is Adam and Eve and not Adam and Steve. There is no gender confusion with Adam and Eve. One is obviously a man and the other a woman, and they know it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:59 am 
Field Grade

We are "reaping" what we have collectively "sown". All of our "individual" and/or "group" decisions, "good or bad", affect others in some form or fashion. There are always consequences to our choices. Praise GOD for his son, Jesus Christ of Nazareth, who will redeem us all...if you let him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The miseries of this world seem limitless.

Over here, a man evicts a widow and orphan into the streets, and over there a young man gambles away a fortune of his father’s making. The cities have beckoning neon lights advertising every manner of sin, and in the countryside a woman cries from the beating given her by her drunken husband, but her cries go unheard.

What is a Christian to do, surrounded by a sea of sinners?

Simply, do your best not to add to the long litany of woe, in this old sin cussed world.

For at the judgement you’ll only face your own record.

NOBODY’S RECORD BUT MY MINE
Molly O’Day version

As our Savior said, do not worry about the mote in your neighbor’s eye, but the beam in yours.

All any Christian can do, is take care of their own spiritual affairs.

That, is hard enough.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

"Who, or what, is causing all of the misery and trouble"

Democrats, undoubtedly. Just kidding. I have pondered chucka's question since he posted it, unsure of the answer and/or how to respond. I've since concluded that God, the one true, most high God of Israel, is responsible, and that all of these trials and tribulations are tests to which we are put in order for God to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. In any case, I always fall back to the words of my Lord Jesus in Matthew 22:36-40:

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

I find the first easier to adhere to than the second...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:04 am 
Crown Grade

It is an amazing thing when a supporter of the evil left complains about all the evil in the world. How ironic. Talk about a severe case of cognitive dissonance. The left is a proven enemy of Christianity. What can a Christian do? One thing a Christian can always do is refuse to support evil, and promote the truth of God’s word as given to us in the Bible.

A Christian is never to tolerate sin. “Unless a man becomes the enemy of an evil, he will not even become its slave but rather its champion.”

Quote:
Revelation 2
2 [Jesus]’I know your deeds and your toil and perseverance, and that you cannot tolerate evil men, and you put to the test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and you found them to be false;