ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Better late than never?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:12 am 
Crown Grade

What do you think about death bed confessions of faith, and confessions late in life?

Post subject: Re: Better late than never?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Interesting question. I suppose that, if the confession/conversion is truly sincere and well intended, it would be acceptable to the Lord. The two criminals who were crucified with Jesus come to mind, namely the one who defended Him to the other criminal and whom Jesus said would be in Paradise with Him that very day.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:37 pm 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
Interesting question. I suppose that, if the confession/conversion is truly sincere and well intended, it would be acceptable to the Lord. The two criminals who were crucified with Jesus come to mind, namely the one who defended Him to the other criminal and whom Jesus said would be in Paradise with Him that very day.

Quote:
Luke 23 : 39-43

39 One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at Him, saying, “Are You not the Christ? Save Yourself and us!”

40 But the other responded, and rebuking him, said, “Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation?

41 And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our crimes; but this man has done nothing wrong.”

42 And he was saying, “Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom!”

43 And He said to him, “Truly I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”

Certainly a good example of being saved in an instance of amazing grace with no works what-so-ever.

Quote:
Ephesians 2:8
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Certainly better late than never.

But I think most of us try not to beat the clock at the last second; there is no advantage in living a life without God in it until it's almost over.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes, it is a shame to live alienated from God, but It is the ultimate tragedy to go to hell. IMO, it is still far better to be saved late in life than to spend eternity separated from God. As far as obeying the Gospel late in life, the parable told by Jesus of the laborers in the vineyard is interesting (Matthew 20: 1-16)

Four different groups of workers were hired to work in the vineyard at various starting times during the day. Some started at the beginning of the day and were promised a denarius for a day. The last group only worked one hour. At the end of the day the landowner paid them all the same amount—one denarius— no matter how long they worked.

What do you make of that?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That parable would answer the question you raised in your original post. In it, Jesus teaches us that repenting of one's sins and accepting God brings the same reward, eternal life in the Kingdom of God, no matter when one does it. It's never too late!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One of the reasons the Humansville Christian Church required children born to parents in the church to take and pass an examination by the elders before membership was the fact that one thief beside Jesus was saved when he repented, and what became, of the other thief?

Jesus also told Thomas that required he see the nail scarred hands, and felt where the spear had pierced His side, that more blessed were people who had NOT seen, and yet still believed.

I was only eight, when an elder asked me what did I think became, of the other thief beside Jesus at Calvary.

I hesitated, and replied the unrepentant thief was in the same group of souls as those who drove the nails in His Hands and His Feet, or mocked and spat on Him that day, for He said Father forgive them, they know not what they do.

So it would depend entirely on how much the unrepentant thief, had loved the least of his brothers and sisters on this earth below, at the Last Judgement.

Then old man Walter Stauffacher looked me straight in the eye, and said,,,

You KNOW very good and well what you do, and DON’T do!

Are you willing to help others less fortunate learn, how they can find eternal life?

Because if you make that choice to become one of Christ’s Disciples, and elect to join the Christian Church, and we elect to choose you to join, you may choose to leave this church at any time,,,

But if you become a born again Disciple of Christ you must always, your entire life, follow after the example of Jesus, and pick up your cross, and serve others less fortunate, and you cannot turn back or you will burn in Hell for all eternity.

There was silence, until I said, I choose to become a Disciple of Christ, and elect to serve others, less fortunate.

He smiled and asked me to go into the main sanctuary, where the first sight I saw was my father, waiting to greet me.

Daddy was the Superintendent of the Chosen and Elected elders of that Christian Church, at that time and place in 1966.

Soon enough Walter Stauffacher who was First Elder came out, and announced the elders had accepted me, to join the Flemington Christian Church, and arranged that I be baptized at the Humansville Christian Church if the elders there, would allow them to use their new baptismal, next Sunday.

But I knew that I’d already made my choice, and election to serve those less fortunate.

From there on since, I must keep my promise, because I took up my cross on that day.

TAKE UP THY CROSS

Bill Anderson version

The Christian Churches have different rules for adults who join.

All an adult needs to do, is step forward at altar call.

The elders have a week and the new member has a week before baptism, so they can send out the word to others that a new member is joining the Christian Church.

We do believe in full immersion baptism if you are able to, as soon as convenient.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

[quote="SuperXOne"]One of the reasons the Humansville Christian Church required children born to parents in the church to take and pass an examination by the elders before membership was the fact that one thief beside Jesus was saved when he repented, and what became, of the other thief?

Jesus also told Thomas that required he see the nail scarred hands, and felt where the spear had pierced His side, that more blessed were people who had NOT seen, and yet still believed.

I was only eight, when an elder asked me what did I think became, of the other thief beside Jesus at Calvary.

I hesitated, and replied the unrepentant thief was in the same group of souls as those who drove the nails in His Hands and His Feet, or mocked and spat on Him that day, for He said Father forgive them, they know not what they do.

So it would depend entirely on how much the unrepentant thief, had loved the least of his brothers and sisters on this earth below, at the Last Judgement.

Then old man Walter Stauffacher looked me straight in the eye, and said,,,

You KNOW very good and well what you do, and DON’T do!

Are you willing to help others less fortunate learn, how they can find eternal life?

Because if you make that choice to become one of Christ’s Disciples, and elect to join the Christian Church, and we elect to choose you to join, you may choose to leave this church at any time,,,

But if you become a born again Disciple of Christ you must always, your entire life, follow after the example of Jesus, and pick up your cross, and serve others less fortunate, and you cannot turn back or you will burn in Hell for all eternity.

There was silence, until I said, I choose to become a Disciple of Christ, and elect to serve others, less fortunate.

He smiled and asked me to go into the main sanctuary, where the first sight I saw was my father, waiting to greet me.

Daddy was the Superintendent of the Chosen and Elected elders of that Christian Church, at that time and place in 1966.

Soon enough Walter Stauffacher who was First Elder came out, and announced the elders had accepted me, to join the Flemington Christian Church, and arranged that I be baptized at the Humansville Christian Church if the elders there, would allow them to use their new baptismal, next Sunday.

But I knew that I’d already made my choice, and election to serve those less fortunate.

From there on since, I must keep my promise, because I took up my cross on that day.

TAKE UP THY CROSS

Bill Anderson version

The Christian Churches have different rules for adults who join.

All an adult needs to do, is step forward at altar call.

The elders have a week and the new member has a week before baptism, so they can send out the word to others that a new member is joining the Christian Church.

We do believe in full immersion baptism if you are able to, as soon as convenient.

But only those fortunate sons born of two parents both of which, were church members at his birth, are likely to ever become elders, although exceptions are made for extraordinary members.

All the rest are at liberty to just sit back and enjoy the services, the elders render.

Our preachers serve at the pleasure of the elders.

It makes for better church services that way, we think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:57 am 
Crown Grade

chucka wrote:
What do you think about death bed confessions of faith, and confessions late in life?

All in heaven will rejoice!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

EricB wrote:
chucka wrote:

Great answer, Eric.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:49 pm 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
EricB wrote:
chucka wrote:

Great answer, Eric.

Yes, great answer and it is Biblical.

Luke 15:10
[Jesus] In the same way, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

It is my experience that Christians on earth that know someone that has repented and accepted Christ as their Lord and Savior also rejoice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:45 pm 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
EricB wrote:
chucka wrote:

Great answer, Eric.

Thanks. It helps that I just attended Table of the Lord class with my son. Sometimes the simplest message is all we need.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:49 pm 
Crown Grade

chucka wrote:
lossking wrote:
EricB wrote:
chucka wrote:

Great answer, Eric.

Yes, great answer and it is Biblical.

Luke 15:10
[Jesus] In the same way, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

It is my experience that Christians on earth that know someone that has repented and accepted Christ as their Lord and Savior also rejoice.

Thanks. I just need to remember that I should repent daily. It seems I’m still a sinner and in need of salvation.
As to the original question? Jesus said something about the last being first. I’m good with deathbed confessions if the Lord is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We're all sinners needing redemption. Anybody who thinks he's not is just kidding himself.