ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yildiz SPZ Me Steel.....???
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

Anyone have one.? if so how is it.? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Yildiz SPZ Me Steel.....???
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Nope, nobody has one.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just joshing. It is in my opinion the best value in a new O/U shotgun it is possible to find. I just bought a Beretta 687 SP III and as nice as it is, beautiful as well as functional, it only makes the Yildiz look better. Understand, I do see and feel the difference. But aside from aesthetics, there is nothing the Yildiz cannot do as well as the Beretta. In my experience (one gun, right?) there is only one possible disappointment that one could have with a Yildiz SPZ ME Steel, that it will wear out faster than an Italian or German gun costing many times more. So far I haven't seen any evidence of that after 14,000 rounds fired in just under two years, but the gun is still young. And you would be hard pressed to not have gotten your money out of it at $499 or less on sale.

In fact, on the subject of durability one of our SGW friends, sera, a strong proponent of the mainstream upscale O/U guns, just posted this:

I found Berettas to be shot "to pieces" in 30k rounds. So many things had broken that a new gun was a better idea than a huge over-haul. My Kolar worked fine if you don't consider the Type II triggers which never stayed "tuned" thru many trips back to the factory. Similar issues w/ my K 80.

My SO 5 --a gorgeous beauty that garnered compliments from across a club's field barely made it thru two tournaments w/out BREAKING. I had to carry my Perazzi as a back up.

How much worse could a Yildiz be? I'm half way to his 30k with none of that aggravation. I hope he doesn't mind me quoting this. I do not mean to suggest that he agrees with me regarding anything I say about the Yildiz.

There were just two original issues such as you can have with any brand gun. The firing system needed a little adjustment to transfer from the bottom to the top barrel after the first shot. I have seen this same problem described for many of the expensive guns. And cheap shells like Win Super Targets and Gun Clubs would get stuck and not eject from the bottom barrel every now and then. That is also a malady often attributed to more expensive guns and was easily fixed by polishing the chamber opening with 800 grit wet and dry sandpaper. Just hang around here a little while and you will here much worse about many, many B, P, Z, G, etc. guns.

Now that I have the Beretta, the Yildiz will become my backup, but I assure you that I like it so much, I will still find occasion to shoot it. Let me say that you should be sure to get the steel receiver version as you suggest you would. The alloy version gets very poor marks for its heavy recoil due to the 1 lb lighter weight. I find the steel version to be extremely comfortable to shoot with sporting clays loads, even 1 1/8 oz at 1,250 fps or so. That was true with the original butt pad and is now even more so since I had a Kick Eze pad installed as part of adding a Jones adjustable butt plate.

As far as shooting goes, the barrels are well regulated and shoot within 4 inches of each other at 40 yards. I'm not an expert on trigger quality by any means, but it works fine for me. I have a world champion shooter comment how nicely the gun performs. It just hits what you point it at.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:49 pm 
Crown Grade

One other thing. The bright chrome plating inside the barrels and black chrome plating outside are totally worth the price of admission. They are one of the best features of the gun, far superior to bluing. Aesthetically maybe not as pretty, but I would make that trade any day. I have very little fear of moisture, even heavy rain l, because of the chrome plating.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the reply....at 66 years of age and having bought and sold probably forty shotguns I am enthralled with these guns from Turkey. My Tristar Viper 28 ga is so well finished and shoots so well that I keep looking for more. now I wouldn't expect a double with an alloy frame to take a pounding for years I think the ones with a steel frame would work well for along time.
Looking at the websites for Yildiz , Armsan , and Re-Tay. it's not hard to see these Guys are serious about the stuff they sell. I sure wish there was a store closer to Me than three hours that sold the Yildiz as I would like to look at one. Thanks Again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Three hours? Man that is nothing. :)

Seriously, lots of folks have never been closer than 16 hours away from an Academy. I swear I don’t understand why Academy can’t import the guns and still distribute them to other stores in places they don’t have any.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

I looked it up and the closest academy is well over 400 miles away from Us. Too bad as I'm not going to make a road trip of that distance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:54 pm 
Crown Grade

.45colt wrote:
I looked it up and the closest academy is well over 400 miles away from Us. Too bad as I'm not going to make a road trip of that distance.

So sorry. That is a shame.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

If I'm on vacation or travelling for a reason I will try to find an academy and look at one. As it is I have more than enough shotguns to keep Me busy for along time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:35 pm 
Crown Grade

.45colt wrote:
If I'm on vacation or travelling for a reason I will try to find an academy and look at one. As it is I have more than enough shotguns to keep Me busy for along time.

Of course. If you are ever in Houston, we have Academy's all over town. New Orleans too. But if you ever get here to Houston, let me know. We could shoot and look over the gun together if you like.