ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yildiz HPS
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Has anyone picked up one of the new HPS guns or shot one? Looks like they academy is stepping up their game with some new models. There is another that looks nice on the website, a legacy I believe.
I’m not in the market for a new one but I will be swinging in sometime soon to see one.
I wish they wouldn’t have gone with a fiber optic bead on any of them but I’m sure it can be changed out to a brass or silver bead somehow.

Post subject: Re: Yildiz HPS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:54 pm 
Utility Grade

I looked at one tonight for my son. Pretty decent price and feels good. I may get it as I don't need something expensive for my son who will grow out of it. He has been shooting for a year with a Mossberg Bantam but is wanting to start shooting more pairs.

Yildiz SPZ ME 20ga - Son's gun
TriStar Upland Hunter 12ga backup

NSCA and ATA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:46 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought a 20ga Legacy HP a couple weeks ago. It's been 35 years since I shot a shotgun at a target. But the golf courses are closed around here due to Covid so I thought getting back to shooting would be a good alternative. I had always wanted on O/U but didn't want to spend a whole lot.

I found this site and read about the Yildiz that I had seen at Academy. The info and opinions here sounded like the Yildiz was exactly what I was looking for. So I went back to Academy and they had just gotten in the 12 & 20ga Legacy HP's. I liked the way the 20ga looked and felt so I figured what the heck. I walked out of there the proud owner of a new Yildiz Legacy HP.

My first impressions were, nice fit & finish but the action was stiff as a board. So I broke it down and greased it up. Then, I went about opening and closing the action repeatedly. After about 200-300 it started to loosen up. I did this everyday for about a week before I got to finally take it out for its maiden voyage.

As I mentioned, I hadn't fired a shotgun for 35 years. On my first shot, I guess I didn't have the gun firmly in my shoulder and when I pulled the trigger, I got kicked pretty good. After the first four shots, I turned to my shooting buddy and said, "I don't think I'm going to make it through two boxes of shells." So, I found the recoil pretty harsh. Much harsher than what I remember from my old Remington 870 Wingmaster from years ago.

But I pressed on. It took about a half dozen rounds to get both injectors to eject spent shells. But after that, they shot them backwards about 7-8 feet! Once I got the hang of finding and leading the target, I started busting clays. The gun functioned well and to my surprise, I liked the red optic site that comes on the HP. The blue chokes look cool and are easy to change out. It has a thicker butt plate but it still kicked me harder than I'd like. I woke up the next day with a pretty good bruise.

I think the issue with the recoil is due to the fact that this is really light gun. Their spec says 5.73 lbs. Mine is a little heavier at an even 6.0. To help tame the recoil, I'm going to get a Limbsaver pad as well as try to add a pound to the gun. It's a little barrell heavy so I think I can put a fair amount of weight in the stock and a little in the forend to get it to 7 lbs and improve the balance.

Despite the rocky start, which I take some responsibility for being rusty with my mounting technique, I'm happy with my purchase. It feels good, swings well and points quickly. As it continues to loosen up a bit, I expect to enjoy it more. I also think the Legacy HP is worth the extra money. BUT, I would say if you want to save the $80 for a SPZ ME, I think that's a great choice as well.

Last edited by fire/ready/aim on Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:10 pm 
Utility Grade

fire/ready/aim wrote:
I bought a 20ga Legacy HP a couple weeks ago. It's been 35 years since I shot a shotgun at a target. But the golf courses are closed around here due to Covid so I thought getting back to shooting would be a good alternative. I had always wanted on O/U but didn't want to spend a whole lot.

I found this site and read about the Yildiz that I had seen at Academy. The info and opinions here sounded like the Yildiz was exactly what I was looking for. So I went back to Academy and they had just gotten in the 12 & 20ga Legacy HP's. I liked the way the 20ga looked and felt so I figured what the heck. I walked out of there the proud owner of a new Yildiz Legacy HP.

My first impressions were, nice fit & finish but the action was stiff as a board. So I broke it down and greased it up. Then, I went about opening and closing the action repeatedly. After about 200-300 it started to loosen up. I did this everyday for about a week before I got to finally take it out for its maiden voyage.

As I mentioned, I hadn't first a shotgun for 35 years. The first shot I guess I didn't have the gun firmly in my shoulder and when I pulled the trigger, I got kicked pretty good. After the first four shots, I turned to my shooting buddy and said, "I don't think I'm going to make it through two boxes of shells." So, I found the recoil pretty harsh. Much harsher than what I remember from my old Remington 870 Wingmaster from years ago.

But I pressed on. It took about a half dozen rounds to get both injectors to eject spent shells. But after that, they shot them backwards about 7-8 feet! Once I got the hang of finding and leading the target, I started busting clays. The gun functioned well and to my surprise, I liked the red optic site that comes on the HP. The blue chokes look cool and are easy to change out. It has a thicker butt plate but it still kicked me harder than I'd like. I woke up the next day with a pretty good bruise.

I think the issue with the recoil is due to the fact that this is really light gun. Their spec says 5.73 lbs. Mine is a little heavier at an even 6.0. To help tame the recoil, I'm going to get a Limbsaver pad as well as try to add a pound to the gun. It's a little barrell heavy so I think I can put a fair amount of weight in the stock and a little in the forend to get it to 7 lbs and improve the balance.

Despite the rocky start, which I take some responsibility for being rusty with my mounting technique, I'm happy with my purchase. It feels good, swings well and points quickly. As it continues to loosen up a bit, I expect to enjoy it more. I also think the Legacy HP is worth the extra money. BUT, I would say if you want to save the $80 for a SPZ ME, I think that's a great choice as well.

Congratulations on your new gun. I predict you will really enjoy it. But if you want a Yildiz for clay targets, it behooves you to get one with a steel receiver, not an alloy one. In 12 ga the alloy receiver version is universally criticized for strong recoil while the steel version is never criticized for that. In my opinion you would have been better off with a heavier 12 ga than the 20. For clays you still need to throw a certain weight of pellets at the target at a decent speed. The steel 12 will always be more comfy under those circumstances than the lighter 20.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:52 pm 
Utility Grade

Now you tell me! Just kidding.

Do you think there would be much difference between the 20ga & 12ga as far as recoil when they both weigh about 6 lbs? At least that's what Academy's website says the 12ga SPZ SME weighs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:40 am 
Utility Grade

fire/ready/aim wrote:
Now you tell me! Just kidding.

Do you think there would be much difference between the 20ga & 12ga as far as recoil when they both weigh about 6 lbs? At least that's what Academy's website says the 12ga SPZ SME weighs.

That is the weight of the SPE ME alloy version. The steel receiver version is at least a pound heavier. I have a friend who has the steel version that weighs almost 8 lb with extended chokes, a thick recoil pad, and the addition of an adjustable comb. We weighed it just the other day when he got it back from the shop after having the modifications done. So you can see that would be a big difference.

If the gun weights are the same, and the load weights and velocities are the same, you should expect the felt recoil to be at least similar. When you calculate recoil on the shooters calculator sight, there is no place to enter the gun gauge, just its weight. That should tell you something.

In hunting where you often shoot lighter loads for smaller game, the smaller bore makes sense as the (often) lighter gun weight and lighter shot loads offset each other. But in clay games where you normally confine your shot choices to a narrow range with a history of breaking clays, a lighter, smaller bore gun can be a disadvantage. Do people do it? Sure they do. Just saying it doesn't make sense to me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:12 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the reply. I guess their site has the weight wrong. If it's close to 8 lbs that would make a big difference!

Here are the edited specs from the website:
DETAILS & SPECS

Featuring a 4140 drilled steel barrel and an alloy receiver, the Yildiz SPZ SME 12 Gauge Over-and-Under Break-Action Shotgun is designed with a walnut stock and a satin finish. This shotgun can be fitted with a scope and offers a single trigger and a manual safety. Front bead sight.
Features and Benefits
Alloy receiver and a 4140 drilled steel barrel with a satin finish
Product weight: 6 lb.
Manufacturer warranty - general: 5 years
Manufacturer warranty - parts: 5 years limited
Drop at pull (in.): 1.4
Barrel length (in.): 28
Drop at comb (in.): 1.5
Manufacturer warranty - labor: 5 years

Last edited by fire/ready/aim on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:18 am 
Utility Grade

fire/ready/aim wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I guess their site has the weight wrong. If it's close to 8 lbs that would make a big difference!

Here are the specs from the website:
DETAILS & SPECS

Featuring a 4140 drilled steel barrel and an alloy receiver, the Yildiz SPZ SME 12 Gauge Over-and-Under Break-Action Shotgun is designed with a walnut stock and a satin finish. This shotgun can be fitted with a scope and offers a single trigger and a manual safety. Front bead sight.
Features and Benefits
Single trigger
Can be fitted with a scope
Manual safety
Alloy receiver and a 4140 drilled steel barrel with a satin finish
Walnut stock
Break action with a 2-round capacity
Front bead sight
Specifications
Handedness: Right
Length of pull (in.): 14.5
Chamber length (in.): 3
Product weight: 6 lb.
Manufacturer warranty - general: 5 years
Metal finish: Satin
Manufacturer warranty - parts: 5 years limited
Stock: Walnut
Drop at pull (in.): 1.4
Assembly Required Flag: No
Barrel length (in.): 28
Action: Break
Gauge/bore: 12
Cylinder capacity: 2
Front sight: Front bead
Product length (in.): 46
Drop at comb (in.): 1.5
Pistol Ammo Type: Hunting
Drop at heel (in.): 2.5
Manufacturer warranty - labor: 5 years

Sorry if we are talking at cross purposes. I am talking about the steel receiver model, SPZ ME Steel. The spec you posted is for the alloy receiver model more intended for hunting. The steel model is 7+ lb out of the box about 1 lb heavier than the alloy receiver model. Then when you add extended chokes, a thick recoil pad and an adjustable comb, the weight goes up to nearly 8 lb.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:49 am 
Utility Grade

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I thought in the description it was saying the barrells AND receiver were of the same 4140 steel.

As Rosanna Rosanna Danna would say: nevermind. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:14 pm 
Utility Grade

So I picked up one of these for my son in a 20 GA this past week at Academy. He is been shooting a Mossberg 500 Bantam for a while now and he and I felt it would be good to move up to an over under. This fit the bill as it was inexpensive and it is lightweight enough for him to handle. I also was concerned it was too lightweight to handle for him but he was very comfortable shooting it so far and liked it a lot. I also can say it does not kick nearly as much as his Mossberg does. Although this is sold as a Yildiz Legacy HP it on the receiver but is marked Yildiz SPZ ME on the barrel.

I will update more as thing develop.

Yildiz SPZ ME 20ga - Son's gun
TriStar Upland Hunter 12ga backup

NSCA and ATA Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Glad your son is enjoying his new gun! I checked mine and it says SPZ ME HP on the barrel. I think the only difference between the two models is the extended chokes, optic site, a mid site and a little better recoil pad.