ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Legacy HPS 12ga *refinished
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Finally picked up a steel receiver yildiz legacy in 12ga. Weighs in at 7.61lbs and kicks a lots less than my buddy’s spz me.
The original stock finish wasn’t terrible, but there was a lot of open grain and the wood had a lot of potential.
I removed the original finish with acetone and 2 cotton balls, so it wasn’t very deep.
I softened the beak of the schnabel and sanded the nose of the comb to better fit my thumb as it lays over.
4 coats of danish oil, sanded with 400 grit in between. After a week of dry time, I started laying in tru oil. The first 4 coats I used the “magic elixir” method with armor all/ tru oil, and the finally 4 coats were just tru oil, wet sanding with 1000grit between coats.
This is my first stock finishing project, overall I’m very happy with the results. I also pulled apart the internals and polished a few pieces and took off one or two rough edges with a file.
Had some slight expansion of the forend wood, and refitting was quite tight. I expect a few rounds of coats will loosen it up.
This forum was great in helping me along the way, thanks guys for all your posts.

Image - before
Image - lots of open grain
Image - stripped
Image - 4th coat of danish oil
Image - all finished

Post subject: Re: Legacy HPS 12ga *refinished
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:30 am 
Crown Grade

That looks great! As for the schnabel "beak", I would have removed it entirely but that is a matter of preference. Well done.