ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lc smith olympic trap
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:52 am 
Field Grade

Hi all, I finally found one of these gems and it is in nice shape. I wanted to take it out last night for a local shoot and managed 24/25. This should've been 25 as I easily hit everything. But at the same time I should've done worse.......after every shot the shells were being presented by the extractor as much as they should, but it took me having to pry each shell out as if they were stuck in the chamber. I know this is probably from the 1930s-40s if not older and am hoping its just a matter of needing heavy cleaning.

Prior to firing I inspected the bore and didn't see any gunk and the chamber didn't seem to have heavy deposits of carbon. I am hoping that this is a simple "scrub it real good" versus " you're going to need to use paper hulls" solution, but just thought I'd pick the local community's brain on the subject. This is also my first gun without an en ejector so maybe I'm just naive to the operation?

Post subject: Re: Lc smith olympic trap
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:08 am 
Field Grade

Update: I belive the gun has ejector and perhaps they are just week. In the event that this is the case. Is this a simple fix?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Weak ejector springs wouldn't cause the shells to stick in the chamber to the point of needing to be pried out. You probably should polish the chamber with fine/00 steel wool wrapped around a brass bristle brush, chucked in an electric drill and oiled thoroughly. It won't harm the gun and will smooth the chamber walls, remove any fine rust and/or accumulated crud.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:40 am 
Crown Grade

What ammo were you using? Was it steel based? If so, that could be the cause of your issues.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:44 am 
Limited Edition

Try different ammo! Oneounceload is probably right. Some steel based loads can be problematic, especially some of the cheaper promo shells.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:18 am 
Field Grade

Was shooting the typical $5.50 box federal, I want to say "top gun" they were certainly steel based. I will polish the chamber and see how it does before moving to higher cost shells. The other thing I noticed is that the latch part of the barrel appears to contact the rim of the base of the shell. I will have to snap a picture, but wondering how it could possibly be bent