ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Straight stocks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

Do most people prefer a straight or pistol grip on a high grade double? I always liked a pistol grip myself but it seems that straight grip guns bring a premium on the higher grade guns and more people would rather have a straight grip.

Post subject: Re: Straight stocks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:29 am 
Field Grade

I prefer the look of a straight grip, and it certainly feels more lively (or whatever the opposite of clunky is). I guess it's the idea of a classic double being "understated" (all that full-cover engraving on the high end guns, notwithstanding). A standard pistol grip just looks bulky. But I think I prefer the feel of a pistol grip. As a lifelong rifleman (I'm still really new to a serious in shotguns), having a pistol grip makes it so much easier to get what feels like a secure grip without needing a death-grip. Even my flintlocks - which are really straight grip guns - have a pistol-grip feel due to the design of the trigger guards.

I think the rounded butt on a Prince of Wales grip is the compromise style that looks best. That said, I've been thinking that one of these ebony pistol-grip extensions on a straight stock could make a nice way to get the benefits of a pistol grip without messing up the nice lines and sleek look.
Attachment:
ebony_pistol.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:25 am 
Limited Edition

I have 4 straight stocked guns that I hunt with and honestly when the game rises from the ground and I'm focused on the bird I never notice the lack of a pistol grip, I'm looking for feathers in the air and a crumpled bird falling back to earth!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:48 am 
Tournament Grade

I fully agree with Bailey. I own several O/Us and SxSs with straight stocks and pistol grips. For me there is no difference in handling or how well I shoot the one style grip verses the other. However, I do very much prefer the look of a straight stock on any SxS.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:50 am 
Tournament Grade

DoublesForever wrote:
I fully agree with Bailey. I own several O/Us and SxSs with straight stocks and pistol grips. For me there is no difference in handling or how well I shoot the one style grip verses the other. However, I do very much prefer the look of a straight stock on any SxS.
You seem to be in line with alot of other people that seem to favor a straight grip on double barrels. I personally felt that a double barrel was missing something without a pistol grip(especially ones with a pistol grip cap) I am looking at a high grade 28 gauge Parker that has everything I want except the pistol grip. I am debating whether to go ahead and buy the gun and maybe the straight grip will grow on me. Im also thinking it might be good trading material down the road since so many people prefer a straight grip gun.