ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Interesting article re gun oil/grease
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:12 pm 
Limited Edition

I just got my K-80 back from Ottsville and the Krieghoff gun grease I got with it says powered by Bore Tech on the tube. The last stuff I bought was the white stuff made in Germany.
FWIW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Yep, that’s the latest ‘Gunglide’. Still doesn’t matter much.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Just got a tube of the oft mentioned schmier fix. It looks chartreuse. Doesn’t feel separated.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Steelco One Tube of Red Grease for grease gun-The Best Darn Grease Around. Lubricant that you can use for boats, vehicles, or commercial fleets. 488-1-Made in the USA. (14.5 oz.)

Caesar Guerini Summit Trap Combo 32/34"
Winchester Model 59 Winlite 30"full 12ga
Ithaca Gun 36"12g
Pride of Spain10g
NRA LifeMember since2000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:34 am 
Field Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
IMO a great grease for guns is Phil Wood’s green bicycle grease. Big tube for not too many bucks.

My wife and I are cyclists and Phil Wood grease works great on our wheel hubs. Have to try it on my guns some time. My Lucas gun grease looks a lot like the Phil Wood stuff.

I always read threads like this on shooting and cycling forums. Both populations seem to obsess about lubricants. Although fairly new to this forum, I've been a shooter, gun owner and cyclists for 50 years. In that time I've used a lot of different lubricants on guns and bicycles and right now have an even dozen gun specific oils and five gun specific greases on my work bench. That doesn't count the white lithium grease, Mobil 1 red grease and a couple of other general greases all of which I sometimes use on my guns.

In terms of performance I can tell little difference in most of them. Like others I do have opinions and here are my strongest ones concerning gun lubricants.

1. I will never use WD-40 on my guns as a lubricant. Ever.
2. I will never again use Rem Oil on anything I own. Ever, and for good reason. Threw it out.
3. Ballistol works as well as most, but the absolute gagging smell is completely intolerable for me and my wife. Threw it out.
4. Home brews of ATF, various grades of Mobile 1, whale snot and fairy sweat. These home brews are especially popular with some cyclist. Tried one popular formula on guns and bicycles and found it to be no better than commercial stuff and maybe not as good. Still have some left, but don't like it and won't use it again.

Other than these strong opinions, I agree with others that the frequent and proper use of your lubricant is more important than is the specific product you use.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:19 am 
Limited Edition

Interested in Your comment on Rem Oil. My favorite gun bluing gunsmith tells me he has to sand rem oil off before bluing, nothing else gets it off the metal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

x2 on the rem oil. i don't use in in cold weather autos but do use it on clays doubles.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:23 pm 
Field Grade

Tvbh40a wrote:
Interested in Your comment on Rem Oil. My favorite gun bluing gunsmith tells me he has to sand rem oil off before bluing, nothing else gets it off the metal.

Several years ago I took my normal "opening day" crew of friends dove hunting to a big shoot a bit over two hours drive from home. The night before I gave my Browning 325 Sporting a really good wipe down as it would be handled a lot the next day, which was September 1st a typically pretty warm day locally. It was a Saturday. I usually used Eezox or other familiar oil on the outside of my shotguns, but that night decided to give my new bottle of Rem Oil a try as I had only used it a couple times before on handguns.

Long story short, we had a great day in the field and all five of us finally limited out, the last one just before sunset. We stayed around and talked to other hunters until well past dark before leaving. Southern dove hunts are often social as well as hunting events as that one was. Good conversation on a soft September night.

Stopped for a long talk filled dinner on the way home. I got home a bit before midnight. I was the only one who actually wanted the doves to eat. My kids loved them so I had 75 birds to clean, although a few were too shot up to clean and eat. As normal I just left my shotgun on my work bench to clean right after breakfast the next morning. I usually did the same after a night tournament or league shoot. Never a problem with Eezox or my other gun oils.

That next morning my Browning with that beautiful finish didn't look exactly right. Close examination and I could see numbers of very tiny spots, rust over the frame. The Rem Oil had failed miserably. I had never seen rust on any of my guns before and it pissed me off highly. I ditched the Rem Oil. I have read it mentioned somewhere since that the formula was changed from the original, but I still won't touch it. In all those years only Rem Oil failed to protect my guns.

I got a chuckle out of the gunsmith's statement. Based on my bad experience it's hard to find that Rem Oil is more difficult to remove than other oils but apparently he believes it. Here is a mention of Rem Oil from the article linked by the OP, which I had previously read or at least a previous version of it:

"The weakest area of most oils is in corrosion resistance (emphasis is by Litespeed) – and on a gun, corrosion is a bad thing! There have been lots of claims, but those people who have actually taken the time to run experiments to test corrosion on steel have found that the products with the greatest hype are often the worst at corrosion resistance. Not surprisingly, plain mineral oils, such as Rem Oil, score at the very bottom of the list. (To that you can usually add most of the plant- or vegetable-based oils.)"

As I said in my other post, I read most threads on lubrication, be it cycling or shooting forums. Over the years I've read numbers of tests by using various methods and the results of some of them seem contradictory. In my own experience most stuff which is purpose formulated works at least okay for bicycles or guns. My experience with corrosion resistance failure with Rem Oil marks it off the list for my own use. If others use it then that is just fine with me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Litespeed wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:
IMO a great grease for guns is Phil Wood’s green bicycle grease. Big tube for not too many bucks.

My wife and I are cyclists and Phil Wood grease works great on our wheel hubs. Have to try it on my guns some time. My Lucas gun grease looks a lot like the Phil Wood stuff.

I always read threads like this on shooting and cycling forums. Both populations seem to obsess about lubricants. Although fairly new to this forum, I've been a shooter, gun owner and cyclists for 50 years. In that time I've used a lot of different lubricants on guns and bicycles and right now have an even dozen gun specific oils and five gun specific greases on my work bench. That doesn't count the white lithium grease, Mobil 1 red grease and a couple of other general greases all of which I sometimes use on my guns.

In terms of performance I can tell little difference in most of them. Like others I do have opinions and here are my strongest ones concerning gun lubricants.

1. I will never use WD-40 on my guns as a lubricant. Ever.
2. I will never again use Rem Oil on anything I own. Ever, and for good reason. Threw it out.
3. Ballistol works as well as most, but the absolute gagging smell is completely intolerable for me and my wife. Threw it out.
4. Home brews of ATF, various grades of Mobile 1, whale snot and fairy sweat. These home brews are especially popular with some cyclist. Tried one popular formula on guns and bicycles and found it to be no better than commercial stuff and maybe not as good. Still have some left, but don't like it and won't use it again.

Other than these strong opinions, I agree with others that the frequent and proper use of your lubricant is more important than is the specific product you use.

You’re right, too much OCD over lube.

You wipe the old lube off, put the new lube on. REGULARLY! The end.:-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:48 pm 
Limited Edition

^^^^yup......they all say grease on the tube.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Since sooner or later grease ends up someplace you didn't want it, I chose this as my go to:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029 ... UTF8&psc=1

Preforms well, and it's clear. I pack it into 10ml oral syringes for easy dispensing. That one container will probably last a lifetime.