ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More newby questions...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:12 am 
Tournament Grade

I am looking for a little more info from some of you experienced Krieghoff owners. Since my last post I have almost pulled the trigger on a few guns but just didn't for various reasons. Some of the guns were new and some used. The new guns just didn't have the wood that I cared for. At this time Ottsville only has a few left handed Cat 2 stock sets for the gun I was looking at. The used guns seem "in my opinion" higher in price than they should be. I know pricing is based on what the market will bear and this market is way different than anything we have ever experienced. What percentage off new retail price is considered a good deal on a 3-4 year old K 80 in good condition?
Thank for any info!!

NSCA #653662 B Class shooter
Caesar Guerini Magnus Sporting
"Left hand shooter, I guess I am in the right state of mind"

Post subject: Re: More newby questions...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:38 am 
Limited Edition

80%

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Try Krieghoff authorized dealers instead of Ottsville for used.
Found quite a variation in pricing when I was looking.
Would recommend JTH in Rochester NY based on my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's absolutely a seller's market right now.

With factories shut down worldwide for the better part of a year, it's going to be well into 2021, and likely into 2022 before inventories are back up for new guns, consequently the value of comparable used guns in desirable configurations which are actually available for purchase are higher than normal. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see clean low mileage Krieghoffs sell for very nearly what you could have bought a brand new one a year ago.

Now isn't the time to be expecting a "deal" on anything, unless you don't mind waiting a long time for the right one to come down the pike.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the replies. I am in no hurry to buy something that isn't exactly what I want. Being I am left handed really narrows my options even more.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Cooper4141 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I am in no hurry to buy something that isn't exactly what I want. Being I am left handed really narrows my options even more.

I own 3 K-guns and bought them all used, albeit very lightly used. I think I paid 70% or less of MSRP. Happy with all three.

Be patient, it is kind of a sellers market, but things will get more rational.

Here are my girls.

Attachment:
AF3CD05C-A48D-4736-BB8A-D589FBEC92CA.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Make Sporting Clays Great Again - MANDATORY DOWNCLASSING!

Primary Gun-K80 w/factory titanium chokes
Backup Gun-Browning BPS
Subgauge Gun-K80 w/Carrier Barrels
Ammo-Whatever is On Sale at 1200fps or less
All chokes M(agic)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hwcn they are some nice ladies!! I am not looking for a "deal" as stated above but I also am not going to buy something that isn't exactly what I want due to the market conditions. Pacific had one listed on consignment and gave me a very fair price on it. The stock had a bubble in the finish and the wood just wasn't to my liking so I passed. It got taken off earlier of this week. I assume it was to somebody else's liking. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The search continues.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Okay, this may not be too popular of a concept for you, but here goes: I'd rather be shooting my K80's than looking at them... What I'm saying is if I couldn't find wood that gave me wood, I'd get the metal I wanted and slap on a plain-Jane set so I could get to shooting. I can always sell it when I found my beauty piece. (I've actually done that a couple times.) Then the hard truth is any shooter that advances is probably going to ultimately have a custom stock made, and so whatever the factory stock was it's probably going to get sold anyway. I've done that a few times myself too and AFTER the swaps above! So in my case would have actually saved money eliminating the middle step.

My .02, YMMV...

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:46 pm 
Field Grade

You are lucky as the factory LH sporting stocks now are absolutely first rate. I took mine and duplicated it in better wood as a custom project.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:20 am 
Utility Grade

I’d get a custom fitted stock.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:11 am 
Tournament Grade

JacksBack wrote:
Okay, this may not be too popular of a concept for you, but here goes: I'd rather be shooting my K80's than looking at them... What I'm saying is if I couldn't find wood that gave me wood, I'd get the metal I wanted and slap on a plain-Jane set so I could get to shooting. I can always sell it when I found my beauty piece. (I've actually done that a couple times.) Then the hard truth is any shooter that advances is probably going to ultimately have a custom stock made, and so whatever the factory stock was it's probably going to get sold anyway. I've done that a few times myself too and AFTER the swaps above! So in my case would have actually saved money eliminating the middle step.

My .02, YMMV...

I agree with what you are saying. What I am saying, if a gun is supposed to have Cat02 wood or Cat03 wood but looks like Cat001(plain-Jane). Due to the current environment people are asking higher prices for the lower grade stocks in the used market. I am not going to overpay for a gun just because of market conditions at this time. If I do as you say, when I go to sell that stock later I would not only have paid too much for it but I will not get as much for it when I go to sell it. Maybe this pricing is here to stay for a very long while. I guess we will all see how this goes over the next 6 months to a year. I will just wait and keep looking. In the meantime still have a pretty decent gun I will continue to shoot every weekend while I look. As for the custom stock route...I don't shoot enough registered targets to ever need a custom stock.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Cooper4141 wrote:
As for the custom stock route...I don't shoot enough registered targets to ever need a custom stock.

Honestly, having a custom stock has little to do with shooting registered or not. It does have to do with having a gun that truly fits so you can shoot it more to your optimal ability... I realize that most casual shooters do not want to pay for one, but for somebody looking at a higher grade K to begin with, it probably makes sense to budget in a custom stock at the same time. Again, my .02 only and respect YMMV...

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:49 pm 
Field Grade

Cooper what barrel, receiver age, grade and stock dimensions are you searching for. The folks on here may have what your looking for or connect you to someone who does.