ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Krieghoff KX5 - Screwed?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

I was at an ATA Big 50 trap shoot and on my 3rd shot I could not close my action. I checked the extractors (converted by Krieghoff from ejectors) and they were working/moving properly. I stepped off the line and presented my shotgun to a friend who was scoring. We took apart the shotgun and he noticed that there was a small screw just sitting in the recess just behind the hinge pin. (I use progressive lenses normally but my shooting glasses are single Rx so I had trouble seeing it.)

We removed the screw and I shot the rest of the match with no further issues. I also shot another 50 shots a couple days later with no issues. After the match, we tried to figure out where this screw came from. The screw is short (approx 3mm) and has a 5mm wide slotted head. There's not a spot on the barrel monoblock, rib or action that we can see where this screw fits or may have come out of. The fact that it showed up after two shots were made, makes me think it somehow fell out of somewhere on this shotgun. I haven't taken the stock off to see if there's a missing screw from inside the action, but the trigger feels the same and the action is working as it should. I can't find an schematic for this shotgun on-line or in the manual.

I've posed the question in an email to Krieghoff USA but didn't get a reply today. Just wondering if anyone might have an idea where this screw came from. All the screws that are visible on this shotgun have allen heads. We are stumped!!!

Post subject: Re: Krieghoff KX5 - Screwed?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:10 am 
Presentation Grade

Maybe your glasses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

krimmie wrote:
Maybe your glasses? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked that, just in case, but, no, the screw is much larger than the screws you find on Ranger shooting glasses and all the screws on my glasses were in place.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:09 am 
Utility Grade

My KS-5 spl does not have any screws (slotted head) in the action or forearm, all allen type.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

dmartinb wrote:
My KS-5 spl does not have any screws (slotted head) in the action or forearm, all allen type.

Thanks. That's what I'm seeing too. My email to Krieghoff is still unanswered. The mystery lingers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Did you email Elmar @ KI? He is pretty good about responding in a day or so.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:37 pm 
Field Grade

There is a small screw that fits on the bottom of the barrel lug area. It is used to hold the”E” clip in place. The “E “ clip is the part that is removed when converting ejectors to extractors.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

I like pie wrote:
There is a small screw that fits on the bottom of the barrel lug area. It is used to hold the”E” clip in place. The “E “ clip is the part that is removed when converting ejectors to extractors.

I had it converted to extractors by Krieghoff when they replaced my broken ejector. I have those parts and that screw has an Allen head. The screw I found does not fit any of the holes in the bottom of the barrel lug area. I shot it again on Friday night and it works as intended. No issues.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

dmartinb wrote:
Did you email Elmar @ KI? He is pretty good about responding in a day or so.

I did send an email off to Krieghoff USA Parts and Service last week and did not get a reply. I plan on driving to Ottsville this year and have them perform a service. This shotgun is in pretty good shape but I bought it used and the fellow I got it from shot it a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:34 pm 
Utility Grade

I do all the service on mine, real simple, only a few parts. Springs & firing pin are about $60, takes about an hour.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg141 ... Action.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:37 pm 
Utility Grade

Larger image, maybe!

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg141 ... Action.jpg