ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re: goose breast cooking
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Soak boneless skinless goose breast in buttermilk for one day. Drain buttermilk, cut goose into 1/2" cubes, dust with flour and fry untill nearly done. Then add meat to your favorite pot pie or shepherds pie recipe.

I brought this to my goose meat hating uncles for thanksgiving as a side and there was not a bite left for me to take home.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

This is the best I've ever tried...
5-8 days depending on the breast size (A-5 days, DD-8 days)

Deli-Style Corned Goose
This recipe has been adapted (slightly) from a corned beef recipe in the Morton Home Meat Curing Guide : http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/re...sp?recipeid=43

Quite simple.... and very tasty!

6 to 8 goose breast filets (4 to 6 lbs)
5 tablespoons Morton Tenderquick mix
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Trim, skin, and clean up breast filets (or beef brisket or boneless cut of deer, elk, etc)

In a small bowl, mix Morton Tender Quick and remaining dry ingredients and spices (Do NOT substitute any "meat tenderizer" for Morton Tender Quick)

Thoroughly rub mixture into all sides of breast filets.

Place filets into a plastic bag and close securely. Place in refrigerator and allow to cure 5 days per inch of meat thickness (a week seems to work fine for goose breasts).

Place filets in Dutch Oven and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer until tender, about 3 hours.

Source:
http://www.flocknockers.com/showthread. ... aa&t=51147

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

Take one breast about size of a good ribeye steak, freeze it then slow thaw in refrigerator, do this twice, drain blood each time, this is aging process like hanging a deer.
Rub in ½ tea spoon Lawry seasoning and 1 table spoon of Worstershire sauce on each side of the breast ½ hour before grilling. Sprinkle a pinch of dark ground coffee over it each time you flip it on the grill, I like it medium rare, my kids like theirs cut to ½” strip

Every now and then I get one that taste a little strong, I then serve with fresh crushed garlic sprinkle over the top.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:24 pm 
Limited Edition

OK so I have to say thanks to those who posted up things - Thanks.

I recently went to party after hunting and had some breasts with me - I was asked to make something with them as my friends hadn't had goose before.

I used a modified version of the recipe to follow - they didn't have everything listed to make the flour so I - pardon the pun - had to wing it...

grabbing this and that for spices I made a dredge and whipped up the tenderloins from 2 geese. I dummed it down as due to time and ingredients but it was a hit, I think if we had more bacon I'd have less breasts in my freezer. :lol:

Enjoy this - I pulled it right off FoodTV dot com but can attest to the yummy factor. I've also been asked to do this one again.

Enjoy:
Duck Camp Hors d'Oeuvres with Bourbon Finish
Recipe courtesy J.Fred Volk
Show: FoodNation With Bobby Flay
Episode: Wyoming

Dredge Ingredients:
1 cup powdered biscuit mix (or all-purpose flour can be substituted)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon paprika

2 to 3 slices bacon, diced
1 medium or large onion, French cut
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Salt and pepper
4 to 6 boneless duck breasts, 3/4-inch cubed (this recipe also works with pheasant, doves, goose or chicken
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil (not all may be needed)
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 cup bourbon

Assemble dredge ingredients in a 1-quart resealable plastic bag, seal, and shake to mix thoroughly.

Add the bacon to a cold 10-inch pan (I find a cast iron skillet works well) and put on medium heat. When fat has rendered and while bacon is still soft, add onions to the pan with brown sugar. Stir onions occasionally, cook until golden brown. You can add a bit of salt and pepper if you like.

While onion is cooking, add meat to the dredge, 5 to 6 pieces at a time, seal bag, and shake bag to coat all pieces. Remove dredged pieces, shake off excess, and repeat with remaining meat.

Remove onions and bacon from the pan, trying to leave as many rendered juices as possible, and set onion mixture aside. Add 1/2 of the olive oil to the pan, raise heat to medium temperature a little bit, and allow oil to heat up. Add meat, a handful at a time, and use wooden spoon to separate pieces. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally (note: if meat starts to stick, add a little more oil to pan.) Return onion mixture to the pan, and toss.

Dissolve cornstarch in bourbon and add to pan. Continue to cook for about 3 minutes, stirring. Liquid should thicken, slightly. Remove the meat and onion mixture from the pan and pour the sauce over the top. Serve hors d'oeuvres family style with toothpicks and crackers or French bread slices.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:02 am 
Tournament Grade

here is a wonderful little appetizer or party recipe that we use almost every week during the season at my house....

Remove breast meat from bones and cut into 1" cubes (approximate). Place all cubes in a large bowl and cover with Italian dressing and a little liquid smoke.

Heat an inch of oil in a slillet to about 350-375.

Using a bamboo skewer, stab a chunk of goose from the marinade and then dunk it straight into the hot oil for about an 8-10 count (just a few seconds).

Have a paper towel next to the skillet and just use the skewer as a handle and pat the hot oil off.

Then just pop it in your mouth while it is still hot...

Kinda like goose fondu. This is the only way my wife will eat goose (or duck for that matter) and the kids both love it. I have never had anyone refuse seconds and some people just can't stay away from it.

Give it a try...fun and delicious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:41 pm 
Field Grade

this is the best way we've found to cook our geese:

-take each goose breast and cut in thirds (what would be perpindicular to breast bone.)
-soak in saltwater and drain water each day for a couple of days.
-marinate in italian and allegro wild game (or moores) all day or overnight
-butterfly each piece and stuff with slivered green bell pepper, onions, and jalepeno
-wrap in bacon and secure with tooth picks
-grill on each side but still rare
-put the pieces in aluminum pan pour enough moores in just to cover bottom of pan
-dab cream cheese on each piece and pour stubbs on top
-cover with tinfoil and let simmer over grill for several 7-10 minutes until moores bubbles/cheese starts to melt/spread

This is as good as it gets...DO NOT OVERCOOK!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:22 pm 
Utility Grade

I put 3 or 4 goose breasts in the crock pot and sliced up some carrots, onions and potatoes and added a can of chicken broth and let it cook on low for 14-15 hours and it turned out absolutely fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

I do jerky with mine. I just grind my geese up then use Hi Mountain Jerky seasoning. Let it sit overnight then put it into a jerky gun. I personally dont like to have to rip and bite hard at my jerky so this way it is nice and soft with great flavor.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:21 am 
Crown Grade

We roasted our goose, pulled the carcass and used the leftovers in a casserole (or cassoulet if you want to sound fancy). This recipe is quick and easy. We took it up a notch by using spicy sausage and adding a couple of cups of shredded goose. If you have a particularly gamey goose this is a great way to hide the flavor.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1673012

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:10 am 
Crown Grade

As a former chef i find myself cooking very simply. I like to take the breasts and smack em with a mallet ( I actually use a small sauce pan).You dont want to flatten them, you are just breaking the muscle to tenderize. I then rub them with kosher salt or sea salt (coarse grind ) and coarsely ground black pepper. I then either pan sear them in butter or cook on a really hot grill. This makes them like the best lean steak. I only cook them rare (very rare ) or for my wife a little more medium rare. The only other thing I may add is some chopped lemon zest. This method is very fast and is exceptional. I do most types of the less gamey ducks this way too. My kids 6 & 4 go nuts over it.As far as a sauce, I dont think it needs it but A little browned butter is sinfully good.
Good eating
MWAG

Post subject: Re: goose breast cooking
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:20 pm 
Crown Grade

I know its an old post but bumping it up because I have about 15lbs of bonless skinless goose breast and legs. No idea what to do with it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:38 pm 
Crown Grade

My go-to goose recipe is very simple. I put the breasts, legs, and thighs in a slow cooker with enough water to cover. 1 package of Liptons onion soup and a whole onion. Cook all day on low. A couple of hours before diner add spuds and carrots. As good as any pot roasted beef and very simple.

I've done corned goose, italian corned goose (carne asada IIRC), jerky, salami, cumberland style sausage, whole roasted in the oven, buttermilk marinade, etc. Most methods are good. I really like the corned goose, and have been considering trying pastrami. Except I really like the pot roast goose :-)

Duck - Breast and grill med rare. A brief marinade in soy sauce and olive oil. For a little more fancy I pan fry, deglaze the pan with a bit of red wine, stir in some currant jelly, and reduce to a nice sauce consistency.

One of Many

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

x 2 .... on the above mentioned "Deli-style Corned Goose" recipe using Morton's Home Cure !
( Works great on Moose & Deer too ! )

... and don't throw away those goode legs ! You can often find jars of Chicken Fat for sale
in some grocery & specialty food stores. Find a recipe for Duck Confit ( a French Classic) and
just substitute goose legs. Really Good !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:39 am 
Diamond Grade

I could eat goose breast every day of the week.

I take a bonless breast (giants) and slice it into three steaks (width wise), then butterfly the steaks open so they cook more evenly.

Marinate overnight in 1 part soy sauce, 1 part red wine, 1/2 part teriyaki sauce, and 1/2 part honey.

After marinating, drain off excess and wrap with bacon around the edges and hit it with some cracked black pepper. Grill over medium heat until medium-rare.

It tastes like a sirloin steak!

For the legs, i pull the tendons (if you dont you have to cook it for 6 weeks) and remove the bone, same with thighs. I grind or chop real fine and make goose chili out of it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:26 am 
Presentation Grade

I know this is ancient, but have any of you make goose & noodles like one would make beef & noodles?