ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Marsh Hens
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:21 am 
Diamond Grade

Interesting. Here is the information from our Department of Environmental Conservation:
https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/80309.html

We just don't see a lot of these birds in my area (Southeast Adirondacks). We do see coots. I don't think any of the serious duck hunters I know could I.D. any of these birds other than the coot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

geometric wrote:
I believe it is an ivory bill coot. I think it means something like chicken of the sea from the French but my French isn't too good!

Bingo! You got it, geo. Fulica americana, the American coot aka ivory billed coot, mud hen, water chicken, poule d'eau, etc. In the family of Rallidae, which includes rails and gallinules. They're not very sporty shooting, but make a pretty good gumbo or stew if you know how to fix it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:19 am 
Crown Grade

I don't see many Virginia rails. One will show up now & then. More soras but just scattered singles. They look like a miniature gallinule or coot. King rails look so much like a clapper rail that I am not sure I have ever seen one. I was undecided as to whether I was looking at a big clapper rail or a king rail. The only difference is the king rail is larger & has more reddish coloring. Well I learned something. Apparently the common gallinule is the same bird as the common moorhen. Moorhen is the English/ European name primarily but also used here occasionally. There is also a purple gallinule. The hunting season for coots, gallinules & moorhens is listed separately but runs concurrent with the marsh hen season. Until now, the only time I ever heard moorhen mentioned was reading English literature or hunting stories. It was obvious it was a coot like bird from the context but I never knew it was a gallinule.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:30 am 
Crown Grade

"Bingo you got it"
I lived in Louisiana as a young child while Pop was going to Tulane. He was duck hunting every chance he got & made friends with the locals. He told me that many, many years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You have a good memory. {hs#

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Thank you! The only thing more amazing than what I can remember is what I can't remember!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

desmobob wrote:
Interesting. Here is the information from our Department of Environmental Conservation:

We just don't see a lot of these birds in my area (Southeast Adirondacks). We do see coots. I don't think any of the serious duck hunters I know could I.D. any of these birds other than the coot.

"Secretive Marsh Birds" is a term I've not seen before. Interesting to see which species are protected, also.

NRA Life Member

"Profanity is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcefully"--author unknown
"This is a big f__king deal!"--Vice President Joe Biden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

osok1 wrote:
desmobob wrote:

"Secretive Marsh Birds" is a term I've not seen before. Interesting to see which species are protected, also.

With related birds with similar looks/features on both the "protected" and "game" lists here, along with them all being referred to as "secretive," I guess it's understandable why nobody I know hunts them! :?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

geometric wrote:
Thank you! The only thing more amazing than what I can remember is what I can't remember!

:lol: I resemble that remark! :lol: