ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Velveting venison or other game meat including wild turkey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you have eaten Asian cuisine you have no doubt enjoyed the super tender cuts of beef, pork and chicken and maybe even wondered what they did to make the meat so tender and soft. Here is how (or at least one method)

This link mentions it. Try Velveting for Soft, Tender Meat - Cooking Tips - Food News

Im velveting some venison for a stir-fry. This meat is from the hind leg of an old, mature doe I took with my bow but this method is not just for tough old deer. All meat will benefit including wild turkey.

The method Im using requires only baking soda and a half hour of your time. Start by cutting your meat in thin strips, about an 1/8th of 1/4" thick.

Next coat the meat in baking soda. I wont matter how much since your going to rinse it off later but 3 tablespoons per pound ought to do but more wont hurt. Set the meat side for a half hour while you prepare the other parts of the meal.

After a half hour, rinse the meat under running water to remove all the baking soda. Bring a pot of water to a boil and plunge the meat in the water for about a minute. I removed this meat in the time it took me to take this photo. The meat will be cooked more later so this meat is still going to be very pink inside at this point.

Now you can season or marinate the meat with whatever trips your trigger. For this meal Im using Teriyaki, soy, oyster sauce and lime juice. Marinate for as long as you wish. You can even set aside and cook this venison the next day or so.

When you are ready to cook the meat, heat your oil of choice and quickly sear the meat and set aside.

For this dish I'm stir-frying some vegies.

Next I add the velveted meat and some chopped almonds.

Then plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with some brown rice and enjoy the most tender venison you have ever eaten.

Post subject: Re: Velveting venison or other game meat including wild turk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've tried this technique before and experienced the metallic taste mentioned in the article. Did you experience the same problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Not at all. I made sure to properly sinse the meat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the response. I'll try it again w. a better rinse.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:12 pm 
Field Grade

You can do 1 g per 100g of meat + 1tbl h20. No need to rinse and no after taste. Needs about 5 hrs.