Shotgun Forum banner

Hanging wet clothes to dry

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Mmorimoto 
#1 ·
I have discovered a neat trick for hanging wet clothes or towels to dry when camping. They sell these purpose built "clotheslines" for camping but the problem with them is that no matter how tight you stretch them, they sag down with the weight of the wet clothes and don't do a good job of keeping your items up off the ground unless you tie each end stupid high on the tree. Just tying a plain rope it is also hard to get the rope tight enough that really heavy items don't sag the rope and risk the items you are trying to get dry and keep clean from touching the ground. The solution? Bring along 3 or 4 small ratchet straps. Wrap the ratchet straps around each tree and connect them with the other ratchet strap(s). You can then use the ratchets to tighten up the straps to the point where any wet clothes, towels, or even a sleeping bag can hang on the straps to dry without it sagging down and touching the ground. It works very well.

#2 ·
I have used the rope clothes line and had the same problem. I even tried using those heavy duty bungee straps to tension the rope. Worked okay with light clothes but not so good for heavy items. I can see that the ratchet strap setup would work better. I'll try them for sure. Thanks for sharing the information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.