ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LANBER/440 SAVAGE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Been searching for instructions on firing pin replacement. I have a 440 Italian manufacture O/U marked Savage 440 and reading leads me to believe it may be the same gun as a Lanber.... Are there instructions anywhere detailing the procedure. I found a post indicating that removal of the spindle enables the removal of the top lever and allows the change of firing pins..... but no mention of how to remove the spindle. Larry

Post subject: Re: LANBER/440 SAVAGE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, used the Numrich schematic, couple punches, pair of needle nose pliers and a hammer and figured things out..... Perhaps a Lanber copy? Don't know but we got the job done... bit by bit and piece by piece.... not too bad to do using patience........ Larry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Wow! I am impressed. Good work!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A friend has a Savage that is stamped "Valmet" on the block, externally it looks like the Savage 440 but internally is quite a bit different..... I have been able to get parts for both these OLD guns and figure out how to make the fix. I have been absolutely impressed with the quality of workmanship in both guns. Machining and bluing on the inside is absolutely the equal of that on the outside. Even though both guns have been very well used for years there is no sign of wear on the internals. The Valmet broke a sear due to a bit of jamming of the safety lever and the 440 broke a firing pin. Even though parts are very limited for both due to the quality of what I see both guns have a long life ahead of them.......... Larry