ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top Latch
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:35 pm 
Field Grade

I have 2-1/2 year old Round Body Sporter. Since new, the top latch has occasionally failed to stay to the right when opening the action. Beginning today, it does it all the time. Any ideas on what to do to fix it?

CZ CanvasBack Gold, 28/28"
B. Rizzini Round Body Sporter, 12/32"

Post subject: Re: Top Latch
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:41 am 
Crown Grade

First thing is pull the stock and soak the receiver and blow it out with compressed air. Then pay attention to the locking latch in the receiver that locks into the barrel. Also make sure that little pin on the breech face is going in and out spring loaded, part 27 the lever return spring. Some cleaning and lubrication in that area. Same for the two cocking levers near the locking block. If that doesn't work you may have a broken spring in the top lever. If you have the yellow sheet of paper with the schematic look at parts 16 thru 20 and 27 and 28. Make sure the two bottom pins part 24 are in all the way. If you pull those out the entire top latch will come out. Not a job for a novice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:19 am 
Field Grade

I felt it was beyond my scope, so I scouted around for a gunsmith to help. I wound up sending the receiver to Basil Slaughter. A lot of the info on his website needs updating but the phone number worked. (Turns out that Cole's in Maine will also work on Rizzini, but Basil responded first. I knew Cole's in Florida would not.)
Basil received the piece on Monday and shipped it back to me on Thursday. He had to deal with an unusual condition that retarded the process a bit. The price was quite reasonable.
I highly recommend Basil. He was a pleasure to deal with.

CZ CanvasBack Gold, 28/28"
B. Rizzini Round Body Sporter, 12/32"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:07 pm 
Field Grade

wcampb7899 wrote:
I felt it was beyond my scope, so I scouted around for a gunsmith to help. I wound up sending the receiver to Basil Slaughter. A lot of the info on his website needs updating but the phone number worked. (Turns out that Cole's in Maine will also work on Rizzini, but Basil responded first. I knew Cole's in Florida would not.)
Basil received the piece on Monday and shipped it back to me on Thursday. He had to deal with an unusual condition that retarded the process a bit. The price was quite reasonable.
I highly recommend Basil. He was a pleasure to deal with.

Good to know where to get these serviced.
Thanks