ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TALK ME INTO THIS 600
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:07 pm 
Utility Grade

A local shop has a 20 gauge Ithaca-SKB 600 26" barrels both with skeet choke for $505. Its in pretty rough shape with scratches and gouges in both the stock and forend. The blueing is thin with very thin edges on the receiver. There is no rust or pitting that can be seen. It locks up tight and has no wiggle when it is open. I want this gun for hunting rabbit and doves mostly; maybe pheasant, sporting clays and skeet a few times each year. For rabbits the skeet should work but not sure about the dove.

Post subject: Re: TALK ME INTO THIS 600
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:02 am 
Crown Grade

I'm not so sure that gun is really what you want.

I don't hunt rabbits, so I can't say about the choke suitability for that. The only thing it's really suitable for, IMO, is skeet, or woodcock, the way it's choked.

Here's a 500 on Gunbroker... https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879951579 ... that's in good shape and not a ton more money. I'd rather that gun and have the chokes opened to something more usable, assuming it hasn't already been done.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sam22673 wrote:
A local shop has a 20 gauge Ithaca-SKB 600 26" barrels both with skeet choke for $505. Its in pretty rough shape with scratches and gouges in both the stock and forend. The blueing is thin with very thin edges on the receiver. There is no rust or pitting that can be seen. It locks up tight and has no wiggle when it is open. I want this gun for hunting rabbit and doves mostly; maybe pheasant, sporting clays and skeet a few times each year. For rabbits the skeet should work but not sure about the dove.

I wouldn't buy it. I had a 26" barreled SKB for a time and found it to be too light and whippy. I replaced it with a 28 inch barrel gun, which I liked better. The 26" barrels might be OK for hunting but I don't think you'd like it for target sports.

The poor condition is another pass indicator. There are plenty of barely used SKB shotguns you can buy for not a whole lot more money. IMO, a $700 high condition gun is a much better investment than a beat-up $500 gun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:49 am 
Diamond Grade

I’m not talking you into that buy. Bladeswitcher is right. You can find a good example in a better configuration than that for a little more. The difference will be money well spent. To fix up the beater you’d spend more than the purchase price so you’d be in it for over a thou.
Don’t do it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:00 am 
Crown Grade

I have a 26" M/IC Ithaca SKB O/U 12 gauge that I`ve had and hunted with since `74. The gun still functions like the day I bought it. It has been an excellent dove and quail gun for me and there is no bigger fan than I when it comes to the Japanese made SKBs. Having said that, based on description of the gun and your intended uses, I`d keep looking. If you`re a bit patient you can find an Ithaca SKB that will meet your overall needs better AND be in better shape. They are excellent guns.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)