ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Welcome to the new SKB Lovers Forum
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Since I bought one today, I figured we'd need our own forum.
All SKB's are welcome, Ithaca, Weatherby and any other Japanese made beauty.

Last edited by jlptexashunter on Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Welcome to the new SKB Lovers Forum
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:30 am 
Diamond Grade

Let me be the first to congratulate you! Isn't waiting to get it the worst? I'm waiting for my latest purchase to come in the mail. I don't think I'll buy long distance again if I can help it. Unless or course, I find a nice SKB SxS. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:14 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks for the forum. I've been an SKB fan for many years. Here's my story:

My father has owned an Ithaca/SKB 700 (same action as today's guns) since 1968. He's fired well over 100,000 rounds through that gun, and it's still solid and going strong.

A few months ago, I bought a European market SKB 600 O/U 12 gauge with 28" barrels, 6 choke tubes and fitted hard case. I have since learned that the gun is ~20 years old, but it has barely been used. A trusted gunsmith has recently given the gun a thorough inspection, along with an internal cleaning and lubrication. It earned a clean bill of health, and should be ready for years of clay target use.

The trim and features on my gun are somewhat unique, since it was originally sold through SKB's German distributor, Albrecht Kind. My gun has upgraded wood with an oil finish, factory choke tubes, and hand engraving on the silver receiver. It's an excellent gun at a great price. Like all of my other guns, its performance on the skeet field is limited only by my own ineptitude. :oops:

Parts and accessories for SKB O/Us are readily available from www.skbshotguns.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:12 am 
Presentation Grade

I also like SKB guns,had a model 100 Side-by-side for many years,that I foolishly sold.I was looking around local gunshops this morning,and saw quite a few Second hand SKB auto shotguns for sale,quite popular guns obviously.They are still advertised for sale as new guns,by the distributor in this country,is there some particular reason why the US site does not mention them being available?.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:30 am 
Wow, the perfect forum for me, 'cause
I LOVE MY SKB!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:02 am 
Crown Grade

Caerlonie wrote:
I also like SKB guns,had a model 100 Side-by-side for many years,that I foolishly sold.I was looking around local gunshops this morning,and saw quite a few Second hand SKB auto shotguns for sale,quite popular guns obviously.They are still advertised for sale as new guns,by the distributor in this country,is there some particular reason why the US site does not mention them being available?.

SKB stopped marketing autoloading shotguns in America over 25 years ago. Remington, Beretta and Browning dominate the autoloading shotgun market here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:41 pm 
Field Grade

I own three SKB produced guns. A 12 gauge XL-900 automatic I purchased in approx 1979, a 20 gauge Ithaca by SKB model 500 O/U my father bought in the mid-70's, and a 12 Gauge Weatherby Orion Upland O/U I've had for a little over 2 years now. The only gun that I've had any type of problem with was the Weatherby. I had owned it for about three months, had put roughly 300 shells through it, and it decided it didn't want to break open for me anymore after I shot the low house bird on station one at my local skeet range. Weatherby treated me right, and helped me find an authorized repair center approx 30 miles from my house. They repaired the gun under warranty, and I had it back on the skeet range within about a week and a half. It's given me no trouble since, and has become my primary gun for informal skeet and bird hunting. I'm currently looking for a 28 gauge, and the SKB 585 has caught my eye. The problem is, it’s tough to find anybody in my area who stocks SKBs. I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has (positive or negative) on some of the larger SKB dealers in the US.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Where do you live Mike.

BTW welcome to ShotgunWorld and the SKB Forum.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:29 pm 
Field Grade

I live in Illinois. About 20 miles Southeast of St Louis, MO. One of the gun clubs I belong to holds an FFL. This is nice because I can buy from a distributor or dealer anywhere in the US, have them ship the gun to the club, and they will process the BATF paperwork for a minimal fee. I called SKB USA on Friday and found out they have a two gun minimum to ship direct to an FFL holder. I may be able to get by with another new shotgun or even a two barrel set, but I may have a tough time trying to sneak two new guns past the wife. :lol:

Mike

Last edited by Mike I. on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Mike I. wrote:
. I called SKB USA on Friday and found out they have a two gun minimum to ship direct to an FFL holder.

Mike

This is good to know. A local gunshop told me that the only reason he doesn't carry new SKBs is that the company had a 10 gun minimum order. :!: I'll pass along this updated information...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:18 pm 
Field Grade

Mike I. wrote:
I'm currently looking for a 28 gauge, and the SKB 585 has caught my eye. The problem is, it’s tough to find anybody in my area who stocks SKBs. I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has (positive or negative) on some of the larger SKB dealers in the US.

Mike

I just bought an Upland Orion in 28ga, 28"bls, IC,M,F chokes, with a Weatherby hard case for $1025.73. If you pay by check or money order subtract $29.15 BudsGunShop.com. Model #WTHBY OU2828RGCOQ

If they are out, Hampels in Traverse City, MI has them but they want $1150.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:19 pm 
Field Grade

Mike I. wrote:
I'm currently looking for a 28 gauge, and the SKB 585 has caught my eye. The problem is, it’s tough to find anybody in my area who stocks SKBs. I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has (positive or negative) on some of the larger SKB dealers in the US.

Mike

I just bought an Upland Orion in 28ga, 28"bls, IC,M,F chokes, with a Weatherby hard case for $1025.73. If you pay by check or money order subtract $29.15 BudsGunShop.com. Model #WTHBY OU2828RGCOQ

If they are out, Hampels in Traverse City, MI has them but they want $1150.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:36 pm 
Field Grade

Gruene,

Thank you for the information and congratulations on your recent purchase. Sounds like you got a great shotgun at a great price. I did not know Weatherby made a 28 gauge Orion Upland since it isn’t listed on their website. I love to look at nice wood and engraving on a shotgun, but I buy my guns for hunting and shooting. I know I’m going to eventually ding the wood, and wear the finish. I think the Orion Upland guns are a perfect balance, and really enjoy my 12 gauge. Good looking, functional guns without all the extras. I don’t want a gun that’s so fancy I’m afraid to take it out of the safe. I’m glad to see Weatherby makes the basic Upland grade in 28 gauge. Do you have any idea what the gun weighs? I assume it is made on a 20 gauge frame.

I just purchased a 20 gauge Ugartechea SXS (it hasn’t even been in the gun safe two weeks yet), so I may have to wait awhile for my 28 gauge. I’m sure I’ll be able to eventually come up with some excuse for a new gun. :)

Take Care and Good Shooting,
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:48 pm 
Field Grade

The 28's were limited runs as were the 410's a couple years back. I too view guns as tools and am not much for engraving but do appreciate nice wood and clean lines. The Upland Orion fit me, my taste, and my budget best when I bought the first. You have to hunt a little for the 410's and 28's with 28"bbls but they are out there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:49 pm 
Field Grade

It is made on 20 ga frame, and I have weighed it yet but it doesn't feel any lighter than my 20.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Been a very busy few months. Just recently able to spend some time back on ShotgunWorld. :D Love this forum! I have an SKB 505 sporting w/30" barrels. One of two favorite guns of mine. The other being my Ugartechea SxS. Looking forward to talking with fellow SKB owners.

Dave

Post subject: re: Welcome to the new SKB Lovers Forum
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Just saying Hi.I`m new to the forum.This is my first post.
I just bought a Weatherby Orion SSC 32"

Post subject: re: Welcome to the new SKB Lovers Forum
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:12 pm 
Field Grade

Wanted to say hello, I bought an Ithaca (SKB) Model 900 when I was 14 or 15 and fell in love with it but foolishly sold it when I was 17. Fortunatly I found Shotgun World wich is the reason I once again am a proud owner of another SKB 900 compliments of Evbutler. Ev lives about 150 miles east of me and I went and picked it up this past saturday. I have not had a chance to put her through her paces yet but I hope to this saturday.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:07 am 
Utility Grade

Good Morning SKB Lovers,
I have been an admirer of SKB's for many years, so much so that I bought a nice but not great, Ithaca/SKB 600 12GA 26" in 2004, bought some exhibition grade wood, a Gracoil Recoil Reducer and gave this to our gunsmith and asked him to remake this shotgun for me.
Much much later, in fact yesterday, my gunsmith finally called me and said it was ready. To be fair, I've also had him make me 3 1911's, fix the odd pistols I've bought over the years and he's not just in business to make me happy.
However I've got the SKB back and it's a very different gun to that in 2004. I could ramble on about the work I ordered, and one could also question the overall cost, however this is the closest I can come to a custom gun without breaking the bank.
I'll let the picture tell the real story, or I would have if I could have uploaded a graphic :?
Regards

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think that's a neat thing to do on a very good shotgun. I had a 600 trap and traded it but wish I had it back to have it customized like you did.

enjoy

obama's gonna go to hell!