ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sabot Technologies SPW wad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:45 pm 
Field Grade

Hello all,

I was curious about loading my own slugs namely for accuracy and secondarily to not rattle my teeth when shooting them. I found these Hammerhead slugs along with the SPW wad from this company and they seem like a good place to start. I researched the slugs and they have pretty good reviews from being factory loaded in the past but I was also intrigued by the wad itself. They sell the wad by itself so you can put any (50 cal) projectile in it so I should be able to load a lighter bullet. I was thinking of using a THOR Hammer muzzleloading bullet which are 250 or 300 gr. So I have a couple of questions for anyone that has done this.
1) How do you go about finding a load for something this light? Most data I could find was for typical 1 oz loads.
2) Does this concept work? I don't mind experimenting a little but I am wise enough to listen to those that have tried before so if a light bullet doesn't work well, I'll just stick to the typical size.

I am using a Remington 1100 with a fully rifled barrel if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
John

Post subject: Re: Sabot Technologies SPW wad
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:47 am 
Limited Edition

I've loaded them. Very accurate out of my Remington 11-87.
Go to the Slugs R Us web site, you'll find info there.
If you do decide to load them, give up on the idea of using another projectile in them. I've found they shoot the best with the Hammerhead slug. You will also need the roll crimp tool they sell, it's made to fits over the top of the hammerhead slug.
I have load data if you want it, PM me with your email and I'll forward it to you.

Post subject: Re: Sabot Technologies SPW wad
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:03 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for that insight. Yes I would appreciate your sharing some loads that worked for you. PM is on the way.

John