ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Working on a Slug Gun
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

An 870 rifled 20" or 22" barrel, monte carlo walnut stock fell into my lap for the best price ever...The action bars have no marks from use and it is tight. I would be shocked if it has more than a box of 2 of slugs down the tube. I figured I would put a little work into it and make it a dedicated slug gun. It has the original Remington rifle sights front and rear. The horrible hard rubber recoil pad as well.

Before I put $$$ into it I wanted to play around with accuracy. I moved the rear sight up to what I've found on different guns to be the 100yard mark. Sat on a picnic table, elbow on the table and rattled my teeth with a Dixie Tusker Slug. Target is a 6x12 hanging steel plate. Boom! Then I came back down to earth and fired 5 2 3/4" Win plain jane 10z slugs. All 6 hit the plate. Soooo I'm going to make this into what I want out of my slug gun.

What I would like to do....

1. First and most important, as well as easiest; what recoil pad? I tried A Limbsaver AirTech slip on but it slides on the Monte Carlo stock. No good. I like the way the Magpul SGA works. I shot the other 4 Dixie Tusker's out of my 870 Police with Magpul SGA. Big difference. It still rocks your world but leaves teeth in place. I do want to keep the original wood stock and forend on this rifle. I'll strip it and apply a hand rub oil.

2. While functional, I personally cannot stand the rifle sights on Remington rifles. Here is where some $$ will need to be spent. I don't need a scope just yet. I can hot 150 yards with ghost sights and slugs. I am getting on 50 and my vision is NOT what it was. I was thinking of a picatinny rail with a ghost site rear that I could always add a scope to later (I use Leupold UltimateSlam on a Browning 20GA and like it) if needed. And a good front post sight that works with the rear ghost. I shoot a lot of tactical 12GA with ghost so I am use to it.

Most shots with this are 50, 75, 100, 125, 150 yard range. Majority is 100 yards. I like that range for practice. And yes, I realize the sight removal is ugly. I was planning on a cerakote treatment as well when all done and said.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this project. And it is just that, a project. I realize the most reasonable answer is it works keep it as is and get meat on the table. Frankly, If I'm going for bambi it will 95% time be the Browning BPS 20GA cantilevered barrel. That thing is boring to shoot at 100yards with 2 3/4" Lightfield slugs. This is really a project gun that I'd like to get performance and some pretty going on.

Post subject: Re: Working on a Slug Gun
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am a fan/believer of the Remington Super Cell Recoil Pads. You may find a pre-fit one that will fit your stock without need to grind the pad.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hello Biscut,

I've been where you are... I had a beautiful Magnum Wingmaster. I dedicated it to a slug gun setup.
It was a teeth rattlin' slug gun.

I made the following changes.. and it was "pretty good".
I did settle on a cantilever, choke tube rifled slug barrel. With a full choke tube, I could then use it for Turkey hunting also.

So, I did buy a synthetic monte carlo stock set. With this, I added the Super Cell recoil pad... The gun was lighter with the synthetic stock, so not sure that I helped myself with this upgrade, but the beautiful wood stock was safely stored and not subject to the weather that deer season can bring.

Dave Henderson wrote a book called "Shotgunning for Deer" and used "Tar-hunt" and also setup 870s. I believe that he would even 'pin the barrels' to the receiver.

IMHO: I would not pin the barrel or tap the receiver on an 870, but that's just me. I believe that Mossberg 500s are already tapped.

I was happy with the 3" accuracy of my 870 setup at 100 yards... It did take me a LOT OF shooting to find the ammo that worked. Once I found that I bought every box of Remington Buckhammers that I could find..

I have since sold the 12 gauge rig to my friend and am now shooting an H&R USG in 20 gauge. (this one is a tack driver). The recoil is a little friendler.

Enjoy your project.
Maggs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:17 am 
Tournament Grade

Thank you for the replies.

Still wide open on what to move to for the sights.