ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Columbia trade gun 16 Gauge - Need hinge pin fabricated
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi All, I have an old trade gun marked "Columbia". Its a single barrel shotgun that is asked about on these forums quite often from what I have seen. This one is a family heirloom and was given to me in rough shape. I have completely reconditioned it but unfortunately the main hinge pin is broken in half and I am missing the part with the round lever that tucks into the recess in the receiver. I don't plan on ever shooting this gun but would like to get the hinge pin replaced so that it operates correctly. I measured the pin hole with a micrometer and it is 9.25mm/.364in. in circumference by 32.66/1.28in in length. Is there anyone who would be interested in making this pin for me or selling me one from an old parts gun/bin? Pictures below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10IG3Xw ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16_XmKa ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lQyQyi ... sp=sharing

Thanks,

Ken

Post subject: Re: Columbia trade gun 16 Gauge - Need hinge pin fabricated
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

A real gunsmith should have no trouble making what you need. Not an armorer, a gunsmith.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:28 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you Frannie. I has seen some folks on the forums here say they are familiar with making this pin so hoping someone with familiarity will chime in and help me out with making one. I am pretty sure the "gunsmiths" where I live are more focused on cerakiting jobs vs. real gunsmithing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

I really don't know what the item you are asking about looks like.

However, if it is just a straight shaft, it appears that 9.25 is a standard drill bit size. Starting at the LINK below, perhaps you can find what you need at any machinist's shop.

https://www.grainger.com/category/machi ... M:20500731

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:58 pm 
Crown Grade

MSC sells tool steel drill rods in all standard twist drill sizes. Get the right diameter and make your own.