ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When to rebuild 686
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:02 pm 
Field Grade

Recently was able to shoot my dads 686 silver pigeon. Noticed the top lever is quite far to the left. Lock up still seems okay
Can't see any appreciable space between the barrel and the receiver, but don't want the gun to become unsafe to fire.

Real question I'm asking is it worth buying the parts to rebuild, or just continue to shoot it?

Post subject: Re: When to rebuild 686
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

1. Open the gun up and press the lever lock release on the breech face so the lever goes back to the left. Note the position of the lever at this point and call it Position A.

2. Push the lever back over to the right and close the gun. Note the position of the lever at this point and call it Position B.

3. Position B should always be to the right of Position A. If Position B is the same as Position A, you need a new locking bolt fitted, ASAP.

After I ended up with a broken locking lever, I recall a gunsmith telling me something along the lines of, if Position B is identical to Position A, the gun's lock up is relying less on the locking bolt securely wedging against the barrel and holding it in place, and more on just the lever's spring tension holding it into place, and that this somehow transferred more force to the locking lever, breaking it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:50 am 
Crown Grade

Just have the locking lug and return lever spring replaced. Its no big deal. Order a spring kit from J&P springs and a +0.015 lug from Brownels and find a local smith that knows how to work on them. Or, spend a little more and send it to Coles if there isn't someone in your area you trust.

One of Many

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:10 am 
Field Grade

Looked at the top lever per your instructions. There is about 1/16-1/8 of an inch between position A and B. I have ordered a rebuild kit for the gun, and will be replacing the locking lug and return lever spring. Thank you all!