ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top lever position and shotgun wear and tear (service life)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:08 am 
Limited Edition

I have read various threads on this site talking about the top lever position. The jist of what I read was a top lever on the right side was a new or gently used shotgun and the farther left if moved was a sign of high wear and lower service life potential.

Should I worry about top lever posiition? I'm looking at an older Spanish SxS shotgun that is "utility" grade so, I want to make sure it is serviceable for a long time of reasonable use. For the picture above, it looks like the top lever is in a position that may be a little hard to use for quick reloads. Is something like this easy (cheap) or hard (expensive) to correct?

Thanks!
Sid

Post subject: Re: Top lever position and shotgun wear and tear (service li
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:53 am 
Crown Grade

I don't know about your gun but the two Parker SXS's in my family have had the lever in the middle for 80 years and are still taking birds every year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:53 am 

Sid, this is the guy you want to talk to as he should be able to answer any questions as well as do the work. Better done a bit soon instead of too late.

http://dougsgunsmithshop.com/

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

In short, if the gun locks up tight and doesn't wiggle keep shooting it. When the gun starts to have a wiggle take it to a gunsmith you trust to have evaluated. The location of the looseness will determine how difficult to repair it.

When buying a gun off someone we tend to look for a right oriented top lever going off the theory it hasn't been shot much and has plenty of wear life left. HOWEVER, as oletymer clearly pointed out, once the bolt and bite wear into each other and mate they will often last like that for a really long while.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:38 am 
Utility Grade

Would this be opposite if the gun was owned by a Marxist? :wink: Is there a way to determine this other than finish wear and provenance? Could this be "corrected" simply by ownership of a "proper" hand or developing thumb memory to push?

Hello all!

I'm FNG: I believe the 20ga is an aberration, the 12 is a product of pragmatic agnosticism and the 16 was provided by Divinity. Other gauges are anomalies worthy of consideration and stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:32 pm 
Crown Grade

And you are campaigning to be our new comedian I see! Welcome to SGW! Sorry, I'm maxed out on abbreviations and anachronisms, not to mention I'm not in with the texting iphone crowd. What is FNG?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Oh yea, the top lever, sorry for the distraction! A qualified gunsmith can best answer your question about a specific case. Curley seems to know a good one. (thanks Curley) I believe the top lever thing is pretty much a rule of guess that indicates wear. It is an indication but not the final measure of condition. Other things can cause the lop lever to move. It can be something as simple as something loose somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Isn’t it weird that the top lever never gets to be centered like it should in order to look right? As soon as it gets to where it should be, you have to have it fixed. That just doesn’t seem right. Why not start it off in the center so that at least for a while it will look right? Then when it gets too far left, then it would be fine to have it repaired. For most people that will probably never happen. So they would get to have a symmetrical gun for years and years. There has to to be something said for that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:44 pm 
Crown Grade

If it locks tight, doesn't shoot open or barrels don't wiggle with the fore end off you are still ok.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:52 pm 
Crown Grade

I'll have to say, "Ditto" to that, as Rush liked to say. If it locks up tight & is "on face", it's good to go!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

"I'm FNG":

That must be the explanation for digging up a 9 year old post to sorta make a halfway joke about.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:00 am 
Crown Grade

Yea, you are probably right! I don't usually pay a lot of attention to the date of a post or research it's origin to try to find fault with it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:19 pm 
Crown Grade

FNG= Friendly New Guy, what did you think?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Does the gun have a Greener-type crossbolt? If so, I don’t believe the centered lever thing even applies.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:11 pm 
Crown Grade

"Friendly new guy, what do you think?"
Frankly, I had no clue. Hope I didn't insult him but there are so many abbreviations going around I am getting tired of guessing what they mean.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Sid Post wrote:

I'm looking at an older Spanish SxS shotgun that is "utility" grade so, I want to make sure it is serviceable for a long time of reasonable use.

Is something like this easy (cheap) or hard (expensive) to correct?

Could you let us know what is brand of the shotgun that you're considering ?

They reason I'm asking is that most older (but not all) Spanish "economy" SxS shotguns are notorious for having internal parts that wear quickly for to improper, or no, hardening of the vital parts.

Since you're asking, I would think that you would have to pay a competent double shotgun "smith" (not some parts-changer calling themselves a gunsmith) to repair it - and would most likely cost more than the gun's worth.

That's because parts for them are un-obtanium, so replacement parts would needs be fashioned by hand, then properly hardened (including dis-assembly & re-assembly, of course)

There is a way to check for excessive SxS wear - but a hands-on inspection is req'd.

To do so, remove the forend (with the sellers permission, then hold the gun, barrels down, with the butt firmly held under your arm.

Once it's in position, grab the receiver with the hand of the arm holding the butt, then grasp the barrels with the off hand- keep the top lever to the side, as if you were opening the gun.

Try to move the barrels in relation to the receiver, twisting, pulling/pushing, etc.

If movement is felt, there is wear and the barrels may be off face.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:55 pm 
Limited Edition

Riflemeister wrote:
FNG= Friendly New Guy, what did you think?

When I was in the Nam, FNG ment something else about a new guy. lol :lol: