ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Citori - Complete Receiver Tuneup - With Pics
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Ugh......I wish the pictures didn't disappear.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Your suggestion should be a good one, Ulysses, but for the problem I am having which is I cannot get the end of the hammer spring guide to slip into the receiver hole. Still, I will give it a go with picture hanging wire. This may work if it allows me, with the receiver clamped firmly in a vice, to get a good look at the guide pin so that I can position it into that blasted hole. Come to think of it, that might work just as well if I use the screwdriver tool I fashioned with a dremel; the trick being that I can stand behind the receiver and see what I am doing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

TheKlawMan wrote:
Your suggestion should be a good one, Ulysses, but for the problem I am having which is I cannot get the end of the hammer spring guide to slip into the receiver hole. Still, I will give it a go with picture hanging wire. This may work if it allows me, with the receiver clamped firmly in a vice, to get a good look at the guide pin so that I can position it into that blasted hole. Come to think of it, that might work just as well if I use the screwdriver tool I fashioned with a dremel; the trick being that I can stand behind the receiver and see what I am doing.

Yeah, this is one of those jobs where a firmly anchored vise comes in handy. This way you can use both hands.

If you can get the spring compressed enough, getting the front end of the guide rod into the hole on the back of the hammer should be very easy. Of course, this assumes you can see the hole. :)

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

Last edited by Ulysses on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Can I see the hole to get it in? Harkens back to my youth.

Anyhow, I figured out a way to get that main spring and main spring guide for the lower barrel lined up. (The left side was a cinch, but it is installed at a very different angle and not up against the thumb of its firing pin.)

For a good laugh at how I got it see the following picture and how I put to use a twisty tie from a package of tacos and a larger one that I picked up off the garage floor. I think it had been used to secure garden vines to a block wall. That one kept the firing pin compressed against the firing pin return spring and I used the other to pull the pin up into position as I looked through the hole from the butt end of the receiver. It looks ridiculous but it worked!

Now that I have my procedure down and my screwdriver tool formed I am ready to install the new parts due to arrive tomorrow. More fun.

Last edited by TheKlawMan on Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

cheecho1960 wrote:

I think they are disappearing because I am doing something wrong with photobucket. What is weird is the pictures just taken this week and posted the same way on another thread of mine are there. That one is also on Shotgun Gunsmithing & Restoration but it is called How did I screw up my Citori's reciever?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:33 pm 

TheKlawMan wrote:
cheecho1960 wrote:

I think they are disappearing because I am doing something wrong with photobucket. What is weird is the pictures just taken this week and posted the same way on another thread of mine are there. That one is also on Shotgun Gunsmithing & Restoration but it is called How did I screw up my Citori's reciever?

You cannot third-party link to Photobucket without paying some fee like $500 anymore.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

Curly N wrote:
TheKlawMan wrote:
cheecho1960 wrote:

You cannot third-party link to Photobucket without paying some fee like $500 anymore.

I dunno. I just got a pic to show up from photobucket, but let's see if it disappears in a day or two. It seems to make a difference how I obtain an address.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Last edited by cheecho1960 on Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:19 pm 

TheKlawMan wrote:
Curly N wrote:

I dunno. I just got a pic to show up from photobucket, but let's see if it disappears in a day or two. It seems to make a difference how I obtain an address.

Also, there is an extension for Chrome that makes the pictures visible.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... apbifiaedg

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks Curly. I don't know if that extension is dangerous or not, but the reviews talk about an issue with inserting Amazon ID extensions.

Is there something other than photobucket that works easier and is free?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:30 pm 

TheKlawMan wrote:
Thanks Curly. I don't know if that extension is dangerous or not, but the reviews talk about an issue with inserting Amazon ID extensions.

Is there something other than photobucket that works easier and is free?

Yes, use www.imgur.com see instructions below

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 2&t=460765

Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

Again thanks Curly. I signed up for Imgur and here is a test photo, which is similar to what I posted above.

Vila. EZ PZ. Thanks Curly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:19 am 
Diamond Grade

I came across this video of using a spring compression tool made from channel locks. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxaqt_Afmgs[/youtube]

If I worked on guns much, I might grind myself a pair out of some cheap Harbor Freight channel locks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:39 am 
Diamond Grade

Curly notified me that my pictures disappeared and he fixed my old post about firing pin maintenance and using his instructions I just fixed the photos in this post so hopefully everybody will be able to see the photos again.

Thanks Curly!

Bill Wood
NRA Benefactor Life
NSSA/NSCA Life

Post subject: 725 update
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:42 am 
Limited Edition

First my thanks to Mr. Wood for this great DIY article, his pictures and detailed instructions gave me the confidence needed to tackle this project on my Citori 725 sporting in 20 ga. the gun is now about two years old and has fired perhaps 10,000 rounds. I recently had one reload fail to fire in the lower barrel showing a firing pin strike so thought I would take it down to clean and inspect the firing pins, seemed like a good time with most gun clubs now closed here in Florida.

The job went pretty smooth, but there were a few hiccups so thought I would point them out for others contemplating maintenance on their Citori. First problem came when ordering parts, some part numbers on the 725 are the same as earlier models, many are not, note the “bump” in the mainspring in the pictures attached. If you call Browning to order parts they are going to ask you for part numbers, PDF parts files are available on the Browning web site but be aware that the PDF parts listing is 12 ga ONLY, parts for other gauges have different part numbers so make sure the person taking your order knows that! I got 12 ga parts the first time and they would not fit my gun, since I also own a 12 ga 725 sporting I elected to keep those parts and reordered the correct 20 ga parts for this gun. When I called in the second order they first took the 12 ga numbers I gave them from the PDF list then cross referenced them for my 20, a flawed process in my opinion.

Second minor issue involved the adjustable comb on my gun; this is the single bolt adjustable comb as supplied by Browning. If the comb is all the way down, you will need to raise or remove it in order to access the Allen bolt that attaches the stock. My comb uses a 7/64” Allen head bolt to adjust the comb, you only need to loosen the bolt to raise the comb for access to the stock bolt, the stock bolt itself takes a 5mm Allen head wrench, hopefully pictures attached make that understandable.

You can see in the pictures that there are some minor differences in the 725 action compared to other Citori’s because it has the FireLite mechanical trigger, those differences do not change the way you perform firing pin / mainspring maintenance. The slotted screwdriver worked well to remove the mainsprings but I had to clamp my receiver in a vise with soft inserts in order to reinstall them, once secured I gripped the “snout” of the mainspring guide rod with small needle nosed vice grips then compressed the spring to enter the hammers. My firing pins and ejector trip rods were somewhat dirty but not really too bad, hopefully the cleaning and new parts will prevent future problems, it is possible my one failure to fire was simply a bad reload.

20 ga parts list here:

2 B133800054 MAINSPRING (GEN2) same for 12 or 20 ga.
2 B1334269 HAMMER PIN 20 ga.
2 B1334168 FIRING PIN RETAINING PIN same for 12 or 20 ga.
1 B1334150 FIRING PIN, OVER 20 ga.
1 B1334159 FIRING PIN, UNDER 20 ga.
1 B1334165 FIRING PIN SPRING, UNDER 20 ga.

12 ga parts list

2 B133800054 MAINSPRING (GEN2) same for 12 or 20 ga.
2 B1334267 HAMMER PIN 12 ga.
2 B1334168 FIRING PIN RETAINING PIN same for 12 or 20 ga.
1 B1334148 FIRING PIN, OVER 12 ga.
1 B1334157 FIRING PIN, UNDER 12 ga.
1 B1334164 FIRING PIN SPRING, UNDER 12 ga.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Fantastic write-up. I believe this is the one that helped me replace my mainsprings a couple years ago. Now, I'm looking to fix my XT Trap again, with lower barrel trigger not engaging the sear.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:16 pm 
Limited Edition

The Channel lock tool for a spring compressor is a great tip. Thanks !