ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Citori not firing - any help???
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:40 am 
Utility Grade

I'm having a problem with a Citori Lightning Feather that I purchased last year. I'll try to describe the circumstances around this happening but I shoot this gun almost exclusively in the field and I can't pinpoint a specific circumstance except to say that it really became a problem today.

It appears the trigger is sticking almost as if the safety is stuck on but the safety lever still moves. The trigger will not budge when this happens at all. It usually happens in situations after firing only the first barrel, putting safety on, and then opening the gun to eject the empty and reload the shot barrel. The next time I try to shoot the trigger is stuck. When this happens, I can't get the gun to fire either barrel.

Today, it became a reoccuring problem and caused me to end my last hunt in SD early. When it happened, I broke open the gun and reclosed it - nothing. I repeated this several times, along with cycling the safety/barrel selector and then tried to fire the gun. Finally after several tries, the gun fired and I emptied both barrels. I reloaded thinking everything would be okay (at least for my next first shot) and the next time a rooster flushed...gun wouldn't fire. In order to prevent wasting more ammo trying to get the gun to fire, I just opened the gun, unloaded it, reloaded it, and closed it. When I attempted to shoot again on the next flush...wouldn't fire again! That was it for me today - I gave up and headed home. Too much effort walking cover in the snow to take another chance on the gun and I think my dog was really starting to wonder what my problem was.

Before today, it had happened the same way maybe three timesj and that was back in October. It was very cold and snowy today so I don't know if this was a factor or not. I don't overlubricate my guns and generally just use RemOil.

I'm planning to contact Browning this week but I was wondering if any of you know if this is something that can probably be remedied or am I going to have to look for a replacement pheasant gun. Thanks in advance, Greg

Post subject: re: Citori not firing - any help???
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:27 pm 

My suggestion to you is to remove the stock and have a look around. Remove the butt plate/pad. They generally have two screws that hold them on. Frequently they are Phillips #2. If you have a recoil pad, look for a couple of slits in the pad on the vertical center line. If you lightly lube the screwdriver, you won't booger up the pad. After the pad removal look into the center hole and deep down you will see the retaining screw, could be an allen, 6mm, or a slotted head screw. Loosen the screw, it might not come out of the stock. Pull straight back on the stock and it should come off. Generally clean and lubricate all the metal and see if it will function. Observe the workings and you should see what is up.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Take a look at https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=89866&highlight= and that is what it should look like when things are good to go.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks guys. I'll probably wait until I speak to Browning before tearing into it - don't know if they'll be more willing to help with a new gun that has never been disassembled but that is my worry. I'm not sure I would be able to tell if something was out of line when I got it open anyway as this is the first OU I've owned and I haven't done much in the way of gunsmithing.

I was really wondering if this was something that occurs periodically with Browning OU's or an unusual problem for these guns.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

You will be lucky to get the gun back from Browning by NEXT season. Find a Gunsmith nearby. This isnt any real big deal.
Midwest Gunworks maybe could help.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:00 am 
Crown Grade

The Feather is a gun with an alloy receiver, in 12 gauge they are prone to stress cracking, also the metal insert by the firing pins will work it's way up and not allow the gun to fire. If the metal plate is raised up a rap or two down with a mallet will reseat it and will sty down for a while. I don't know if this problem occurs in the subgauges. It is easy to see the metal insert form the top of the gun and you can run your finger across it and if it is raised you will be able to feel it. Once you feel it you will be able to see it. If you have stress cracks you will see them in the receiver behind the chamber that runs back to the wood.

It could be really dirty and rusty inside also. You could take the stock off and take the action and soak it in kerosene for a few hours, hit it with some compressed air then relube the entire inside with "Breakfree with CLP" (comes in a black can and in my opinion is better than Rem oil but Rem oil is very good.) If you take the stock off make sure the pins the hold some of the inner workings in don't fall out.

NSCA #551026

FORUMS are for ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. They don't teach shooting!

{RO

Post subject: Re: Citori not firing - any help???
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:38 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm having the same issue with Citori Pro (12G). Doesn't matter if I fire one barrel or if I use both, at random times after loading, the trigger will not pull, thus not fire. It is almost as if the gun did not cock - However, I do know that it was opened enough to cock and closed properly each time. Others experienced the same issue with this gun. It will only fire if I open the breech again and close. However, not every time. I removed the stock and inspected the safety/selector switch - all appeared fine. I could not visually see any other discrepancies. What did you find to be the solution to your problem?

Post subject: Re: Citori not firing - any help???
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

GunsmithandLathe wrote:
I'm having the same issue with Citori Pro (12G). Doesn't matter if I fire one barrel or if I use both, at random times after loading, the trigger will not pull, thus not fire. It is almost as if the gun did not cock - However, I do know that it was opened enough to cock and closed properly each time. Others experienced the same issue with this gun. It will only fire if I open the breech again and close. However, not every time. I removed the stock and inspected the safety/selector switch - all appeared fine. I could not visually see any other discrepancies. What did you find to be the solution to your problem?

It sounds like the inertia block may be sticking and not moving the lifter/actuator to the other sear. Without getting too technical, the best thing I could suggest is that you remove the barrels and the buttstock, and then soak the action in mineral spirits for 20 minutes. After soaking, remove from the solvent and allow to drain and air dry.

Then lubricate the inner parts (hammers, sears, inertia block, springs, etc) well with Breakfree CLP. Leave it a little bit wet with the CLP. Then reassemble the gun and see if that fixed the problem.

One thing I would recommend during the operation of the gun is to make sure that you open it FULLY and firmly. There is a very small difference between opening it enough and opening it ALMOST enough. If you open it ALMOST enough, the sear won't engage the hammer notch and the hammer will fall slowly as you close the gun. This will often leave a little tell-tale dimple in the primer. So if this happens again, open the gun and check the unfired shell(s) for a small dimple in the primer.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.